Odd monsters.....

Virginia Wilde

First Post
Never posted a monster here before, and under some friendly encouragement (from my friends), I thought I'd put a couple up here. I'd really appreciate feedback, as it would help me refine these creatures (and parts of my campaign).

Blindsight (Ex): The creatures below possess a form of blindsight that utilizes high frequency light waves. Darkness, such as that from darkness spells and similar sources, does not ruin this blindsight.

Alright, if the pictures aren't showing, they're at Garr's site:
www.geocities.com/garr_keehan/stagjaw.jpg and www.geocities.com/garr_keehan/balow.jpg. They do exist, but you may have to copy and paste......urg...I hate geocities......

Forest Stagjaw (Stagjaw silvus spp)
Medium-sized Animal

stagjaw.jpg

Hit Dice: 2d8+4 (13 hp)
Initiative: +3 (+3 Dex)
Speed: 60 ft.
AC: 14 (+3 Dex, +1 natural)
Attacks: Bite +4 melee
Damage: Bite 1d6 + 2
Face/Reach: 5 ft. by 5 ft./ 5 ft.
Special Attacks: Poison, improved grab.
Special Qualities: 120 ft. Blindsight, Bizaare Anatomy
Saves: For +5, Ref +6, Will +1
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 16, Con 15, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 7
Skills: Listen +5, Spot +5, Wilderness Lore +5
Feats: Weapon Finesse (Bite)
Climate/Terrain: Cool and temperate forest
Organization: Pair or pack (3-5)
Challenge Rating: 1
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral.
Advancement: 3 HD (Medium-size); 4-5 HD (Large)

Bizaare Anatomy: A stagjaw's anatomy is different than more familiar animals, making it difficult to hurt (this effectively gives the creature damage reduction 2/-). A stagjaw without a head is still alive, although it cannot attack. It starves to death in 1d4 days.
Poison: A stagjaw that succeeds in a grapple check begins pumping digestive juices into its prey using its pincer-like jaws. Fortitude save (DC 13), initial damage 1d6 dex, secondary damage 1d4 con. The venom begins by paralyzing or slowing its prey (blocking nerve receptors), then becomes a digestive enzyme as the chemical itself breaks down.

Ballow (Pluocrystaphagus sp.)
Large Animal

balow.jpg

Hit Dice: 4d8+12 (30 hp)
Initiative: +1 (+1 dex)
AC: 13 (+1 dex, +2 natural)
Attacks: Piercing tongue +6 melee
Damage: Tongue 1d6+3 melee
Face/Reach: 5ft. by 5ft./5ft.
Special Attacks: Poison.
Special Qualities: 120 ft. Blindsight, Bizaare Anatomy
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +5, Will +2
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 12, Con 16, Int 1, Wis 11, Cha 6
Skills: Listen +5, Spot +5.
Climate/Terrain: Cool and temperate forest and plains.
Organization: Solitary or herd (3-6)
Challenge Rating: 2
Advancement: ---

Bizaare Anatomy: A ballow's anatomy is different than more familiar animals, making it difficult to hurt (this effectively gives the creature damage reduction 2/-).
Poison: A ballow that hits with its tongue injects an anti-coagulant into the victim, used for aiding in drinking plant juices. Fortitude save (DC 15), initial damage 1d4 str, secondary damage 1d4 str.

Last edited:

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Virginia Wilde said:
Never posted a monster here before, and under some friendly encouragement (from my friends), I thought I'd put a couple up here. I'd really appreciate feedback, as it would help me refine these creatures (and parts of my campaign).

Blindsight: The creatures below possess a form of blindsight that utilizes high frequency light waves. Darkness, such as that from darkness spells and similar sources, does not ruin this blindsight.

Alright, if the pictures aren't showing, they're at Garr's site:
www.geocities.com/garr_keehan/stagjaw.jpg and www.geocities.com/garr_keehan/balow.jpg. They do exist, but you may have to copy and paste......urg...I hate geocities......

Forest Stagjaw (Stagjaw silvus spp)
Medium-sized Animal

stagjaw.jpg

Hit Dice: 2d8+4 (13 hp)
Initiative: +3 (+3 Dex)
AC: 14 (+3 Dex, +1 natural)
Attacks: Bite +5 melee

Attack should be "Bite +4". BAB is + 1 (base) + 3 (Dex bonus from Weapon Finesse) = 4

Damage: Bite 1d6 + 2 , melee plus 1d4 acid
[/b/

I would list damage as Bite 1d6+2 and 1d4 acid

Face/Reach: 5 ft. by 5 ft./ 5 ft.
Special Attacks: Poison, improved grab.
Special Qualities: 120 ft. Blindsight, Damage reduction 2/-.
Saves: For +5, Ref +6, Will +1
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 16, Con 15, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 7
Skills: Listen +5, Spot +5, Wilderness Lore +5
Feats: Weapon Finesse (Bite)
Climate/Terrain: Cool and temperate forest
Organization: Pair or pack (3-5)
Challenge Rating: 1
[/b]

CR is too low. I would make it at least 2.
Advancement: 3 HD (Medium-size); 4-5 HD (Large)
[/b]

Most creatures can advance to 3X their standard HD, so I would bump this up to 4-6 HD (Large)

Damage Reduction: A stagjaw's anatomy is different than more familiar animals, making it difficult to hurt. A stagjaw without a head is still alive, although it cannot attack. It starves to death in 1d4 days.

This needs to be renamed. This is not damage reduction and leads to confusion as such.

Poison: A stagjaw that succeeds in a grapple check begins pumping digestive juices into its prey using its pincer-like jaws. Fortitude save (DC 13), initial damage 1d6 dex, secondary damage 1d4 con.

Just about all monsters that deal poison damage inflict the same initial and secondary type; i.e., the damage amount may differ, but the ability score it effects is the same for initial and secondary. So, I would change secondary damage to 1d4 Dex.

Virginia Wilde

First Post
I forgot to mention (for those who can't get the pics to work): Canaanite creatures don't have eyes. That's what the blindsight is for.
It should also be noted that these are animals. I haven't yet started on Canaanite plants (stats, anyway, since the border between plant and animal on Canaan is so thin), and I haven't decided to go with plant or animal type for them. I guess I'll see how playtesting goes.

Stagjaw: Changed "DR", removed acid damage. Clarified what stagjaw venom does. I've noticed that stagjaws only get dangerous in groups (this species, anyway. the big ones are another matter). You're right, though. These critters would tear into a wolf, but playtesting seems to put them on the borderline between a 1 and 2 CR.

Ballow: Fixed DR. This is basically an antelope or horse (in its niche, anyway), that is, it's a fast, herding plant-eater that is a staple large prey item. I'll have to see what is done with them when they're encountered or angered.

Last edited:

Remove ads