OGL-Gate & Mainstream Media: The Guardian Weighs In

My point was that this incident hasn’t dented Hasbro’s stock. Quite probably because investors know that regaining control over the IP is good for the company.
You are vastly overestimating how well investors understand this issue. The idea that investors will even understand these SECRET UNTIL FRIDAY moves at all is laughable. The idea that they not only understand them, but understand them specifically as "Protecting the IP" is absolutely ridiculous.

It hasn't dented the stock because it's a complicated nerdy issue and WotC's response isn't set in stone yet, and even when it is, D&D losing even 50% of it's revenue could easily be made up for by other factors.

In fact there's an enormous factor you haven't mentioned - two actually - firstly, D&D:HAT movie, which will benefit Hasbro and the D&D IP if it's anything be absolute trashfire. Secondly, the eOne sale. This is huge. Even if D&D lose a ton of sales, selling eOne and the associated IPs that they're not retaining could easily make up for it in the short term, and when you're looking at stocks, that short-term is what matters.

Those two factors alone make a huge difference here.

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
Jimquisition (a channel almost entirely focused on criticizing the video game industry) has covered the OGL:

Makes me wonder if any other former Escapist personalities will cover the story — probably not Zero Punctuation, but Movie Bob might and Extra Credits almost certainly will.

darjr

I crit!
Ha looks like I posted it.

dang it's been a long few days.

CNBC obtained copies of Hasbro’s reformed licensing agreements — OGL 1.1 and an FAQ section for OGL 2.0. According to the documents, Hasbro had sought to require independent publishers and content creators to report financial data directly to the company’s Wizards of the Coast division, which includes D&D. At a certain threshold, the revised agreement would have forced independent creators to pay significant fees.

Ha looks like I posted it.

dang it's been a long few days.

CNBC obtained copies of Hasbro’s reformed licensing agreements — OGL 1.1 and an FAQ section for OGL 2.0. According to the documents, Hasbro had sought to require independent publishers and content creators to report financial data directly to the company’s Wizards of the Coast division, which includes D&D. At a certain threshold, the revised agreement would have forced independent creators to pay significant fees.
Well, you posted about it. But now we have a link!

Dungeons & Dragons fans were ready to roll for initiative against Hasbro after the company attempted to rewrite its two-decade-old open game license in order to boost revenue.

sigh

Screen_Shot_2017_07_13_at_1.09.20_PM.png

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases