OK GenCOn ENWorlders, document your experiences here...

Scott_Rouse

Explorer
(not looking for free products here, just mentioning my experience).

Mistwell,

I am sorry you also had a bad experience. :(

I can understand that the person behind the counter may have been following directions or was trying to keep it fair for everyone and wait until the hall opened, but that is not an excuse for rudeness. :mad:

I have a meeting planned withe the show manager and he has instructed me to be brutally honest with my thoughts. I will discuss my concerns regarding customer service (or lack there of). :eek:

Sincerely,

Jack99

Adventurer
Well of course. Leaving and buying a product elsewhere is a pretty typical reaction to rudeness by a salesperson.

You really think the WotC guy in question was rude? (see below if you forgot what he said)

Me: "Do you have any DM screens?"
WOTC Employee: "No, gone, not going to be any more for the con."
Me: "OK, could I get one of those forgotten realms campaign setting books (indicating the stack of books on the shelf behind the counter)".
WOTC: (looks at my special guest badge, no recognition apparently) "No, not until 10 (flat monotone bureaucratic tone)."

I often leave stores because I dislike being there to begin with. If there were some way to get my groceries and mundane items such as toilet paper and dishwashing soap delivered to my door, I'd be all over that. I do realize that there are places where you can do exactly that online, but they don't have that where I live. Most of my books, gadgets, software, and other more expensive items are ordered online. I'd be perfectly happy if I never had to set foot in another store as long as I live.

Okay, I am not quite sure how to respond to that, aside that there is probably some professional help to be had, for issues like that...

Scribble

First Post
I have a meeting planned withe the show manager and he has instructed me to be brutally honest with my thoughts. I will discuss my concerns regarding customer service (or lack there of). :eek:

Make sure to tell him should he fail you again, you will be brutally honest with a spiked chain rather then your thoughts...

Wait... that's not standard business protocal? :D

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
(such as all those people wearing those incredibly tacky “4th Edition Killed Gary” T-Shirts)

Excuse me? Am I reading this right? People were walking around with t-shirts with the text "4th edition killed Gary"?

To me that shows serious disrespect for the man, and I find it sad to use the memory of Gary Gyxax to make an edition war attack.

/M

Last edited:

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
Special thanks to the "Ice Pirate Lords" in Slot 13 on Sunday morning... if any of you are ENWorlders, that table rocked the house. Great RP, great tactics, just one of those totally in-the-zone experiences where all 6 players and myself were completely sucked into the narrative and the combats.

As the Ice Pirate Lord representative to ENWorld, I'd like to say thanks for running a great round. Your energy picked us up and carried us. We had a blast.

If anyone gets a chance to play at a Stormtower run table, take it.

Thaumaturge.
(Patrin, Dragonborn Warlord of the Ice Pirate Lords)

Rel

Liquid Awesome
You really think the WotC guy in question was rude? (see below if you forgot what he said)

Oh it's less rude than response that Longshadow reported earlier but, yeah, I still think it is rude.

The supposition when I take the time to enter somebody's store is that they want to sell me their product. If I note that they have the product in stock, say, "I'll have one of those, please" and they tell me "No" then I think it would be nice if they gave me a (good) reason why I've wasted my time in coming to their store.

To reiterate what Mistwell said, if the guy had offered an explanation for WHY the product could not be sold at that time, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Okay, I am not quite sure how to respond to that, aside that there is probably some professional help to be had, for issues like that...

I'll note, by the way, that Mistwell's experience with rudeness was perhaps a shade less rude than this bit that you posted. While I can't improve the customer service at WotC, I can improve it here. So knock it off or you'll be absent from the boards for a while.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
(such as all those people wearing those incredibly tacky “4th Edition Killed Gary” T-Shirts)

I'm no fan of 4e, but that is absolutely in poor taste. I've said it before and I'll say it again, for a hobby with such a big social interaction component, RPGs sure tend to attract some of the most socially inept people.

Jack99

Adventurer
What about my response seemed unusual or extreme to you?

Sure, telling you why you had to wait 6 minutes would have been the best way of handling things. But based on how I read what you wrote, I didn't find his response rude. That's why I think, that your reaction to not buy it and instead choosing to "punish" WotC by buying it from another source, was way out of left field.

Now, please do not think that I am one of those people that never complains and just smiles and nods. In fact, I am semi-famous for not taking any crap, especially from sales-people (mod edit: yes, it is for another board). I think the other poster was justified in his reaction.

When that is said, you were there, I wasn't.

Either way, I hope you still had a good Con. I really wanted to be there, but I had trouble justifying the $1500 plane ticket with the missus... Not to mention the timing sucked, work-wise.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads