OK GenCOn ENWorlders, document your experiences here...

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Sure, telling you why you had to wait 6 minutes would have been the best way of handling things. But based on how I read what you wrote, I didn't find his response rude. That's why I think, that your reaction to not buy it and instead choosing to "punish" WotC by buying it from another source, was way out of left field.

It's not to punish WOTC, and sorry if I left that impression. It's merely ambivalence. I was not going to play a silly game of him standing there and waiting for 6 minutes, me standing there in front of him waiting for 6 minutes, us both looking at our watches and tapping our feet, looking around at nothing, maybe making small talk, and then when the 6 minutes was up him handing me the book and taking my money. It was nonsensical. At that point, why NOT just buy it another time, for the lower price? It's not like I had a burning need for the item. I really was just trying to buy it from the source out of support for them, like I try to do with a lot of products I buy at a convention instead of over the net.

Now, please do not think that I am one of those people that never complains and just smiles and nods. In fact, I am semi-famous for not taking any crap, especially from sales-people (and Christians, but I think that is a story for another board). I think the other poster was justified in his reaction.

When that is said, you were there, I wasn't.

Either way, I hope you still had a good Con. I really wanted to be there, but I had trouble justifying the $1500 plane ticket with the missus... Not to mention the timing sucked, work-wise.

Cheers

I had a great Con, and this was a relatively minor issue in the grand scheme of things. But, since the topic had been raised, I thought I would mention my experience with that booth.

I had four great games with folks from here and/or CircvsMaximvs, the Hygena booth was rocking, I had some good dinners with folks from the Sci-Fi board and from the Superhero show, a good party with the people from CM, and I bought a lot of cool stuff (and spent too much on miniatures).

Jack99

Adventurer
It's not to punish WOTC, and sorry if I left that impression. It's merely ambivalence. I was not going to play a silly game of him standing there and waiting for 6 minutes, me standing there in front of him waiting for 6 minutes, us both looking at our watches and tapping our feet, looking around at nothing, maybe making small talk, and then when the 6 minutes was up him handing me the book and taking my money. It was nonsensical. At that point, why NOT just buy it another time, for the lower price? It's not like I had a burning need for the item. I really was just trying to buy it from the source out of support for them, like I try to do with a lot of products I buy at a convention instead of over the net.
Fair enough. I guess I just read too much into your first post.
I had a great Con, and this was a relatively minor issue in the grand scheme of things. But, since the topic had been raised, I thought I would mention my experience with that booth.
Cool

Xath

Moder-gator
I had an awesome con. Unlike last year, I didn't entirely overbook myself, so I had plenty of time to hang out with people. I played in some great games run by Rel, Piratecat, Cassander, JohnCrichton and Barsoomcore and I had a blasty-blast in every one!

The ENnies ceremony went over smoothly and we had a great batch of volunteers for the booth. I'm super-excited to be involved for 2009 as well. Congrats to all of the publishers and the new 2009 judges (Kennon, Jody, Zach, and Chris)!

We just got home a few hours ago, and I for one am exhausted. This whole Tuesday-Monday thing was totally awesome, but I don't know if I'll have the energy (or PTO) for it next year.

demadog

Explorer
Mistwell,

I am sorry you also had a bad experience. :(

I can understand that the person behind the counter may have been following directions or was trying to keep it fair for everyone and wait until the hall opened, but that is not an excuse for rudeness. :mad:

I have a meeting planned withe the show manager and he has instructed me to be brutally honest with my thoughts. I will discuss my concerns regarding customer service (or lack there of). :eek:

Sincerely,

Hi Scott, I'm not looking for anything either, but I had a similiar experience at the booth. I asked if there were an DM screens left and the saleman responded, "no, we've sold out" in a seemingly aggressive tone. I tried to brush it off by clenching my fist and giving a comic "arrggg", and then the guy mocked me. I guess he knew I wouldnt punch him, but for a split second I wasn't so sure of myself. I walked away and was going to let it go, but I decided to post to let you know that it seems that the other's experiences were not isolated.

Thanks for your attention,

Al

Mike_Lescault

First Post
I would like to personally apologize for the total lack of professionalism and customer service you received at the Wizards of the Coast booth. Yes we under ordered the FR books and lots of people were probably asking about them and likely upset about us being sold out but that is no excuse for apathy and rudeness.

I want to echo what Scott said. We had so many great folks take the time at Gen Con to come by and visit our booth that at times I felt sad that I couldn't personally thank them all for coming by. This is doubly true for those who were interested enough to consider buying our products at the booth. Folks like that are the reason those of us from Wizards of the Coast are lucky enough to have jobs in our industry and they deserve our utmost respect.

Gen Con was a very long and busy conference for many of us, as both Scott and I can attest(as well as anyone who bumped into us late in the show). I can understand how some of our hard-working booth staff may have been a bit worn down and tired, but nothing would justify rude or disrespectful behavior to a customer at our booth.

The Rouse has much more juice than I do, but I'll be following up on this as well. Sorry again for anyone who had a bad experience. I can't articulate just how crushed I was when I read Longshadow's post. =(

-Mike

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Here are some pics from the Con:

Sunday PirateCat M&M Golden Age game:
2774645687_55dc7854b4.jpg

Saturday The Great JC d20 Modern Escape from Cronos game (about half the players):
2774645469_910fab09a9.jpg

Dinner with some superheroes (left to right: The Defuser, Feedback, Me):
2774640761_78003e731f.jpg

Heading home at the airport:
2774637287_11aa8fca2e.jpg

Some more pictures here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41453615@N00/sets/72157606809347444/

Longshadow

First Post
Longshadow,

I would like to personally apologize for the total lack of professionalism and customer service you received at the Wizards of the Coast booth. Yes we under ordered the FR books and lots of people were probably asking about them and likely upset about us being sold out but that is no excuse for apathy and rudeness.

See my PM as I would like to get a description of the individual and take this incident up with our show manager.

Also PM me you home address and I will send you a copy of the Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide myself

Scott,
Thank you for responding. I wasn't expecting any sort of official response, especially one as gracious and generous as this. Please understand that I was also in no way trawling for any sort of compensation for the bad experience, but was merely venting. In fact, I have already made arrangements with my FLGS for them to hold me a copy of the book when they get it in tomorrow. However, that being said, I appreciate the gesture immensely. I will still PM you as requested, though.

Again, kudos on a very commendable response; it restores some of my faith in the company's professionalism. :cool:

Remove ads