• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OK GenCOn ENWorlders, document your experiences here...

Darrin Drader

Explorer
I'd just like to mention that as a former part of WotC customer service, the company places a great deal of emphasis on the way the company interacts with its customers. While the rest of the company was shrinking, CS was expanding and being held to higher standards than ever before. I have no idea how people with such a lack of CS skills could have ended up behind the counter, but that is not in any way typical for WotC, either through the CS department or their usual convention teams. I suspect that this is a case of one bad apple spoiling the whole barrel.

Quartermoon

First Post
GenCon had it's highs and lows for me, but I just want to mention that Piratecat's M&M game on Saturday night was the absolute highlight of the weekend. We all know what a genius he is, and he did not disappoint. Plus, the table was filled with terrific players, most notably a fellow know here as HyperSmerf, I believe, who revealed his own genius in the final scene and surprised even PCat. I had a blast (literally) zooming around as Jetette, and the evening was filled with humor, danger, suspense, romance, and angst, not to mention cookies, robots, refrigerator magnets, trained sea gulls, and piranha.

Thanks to all who made it so great.

:)

Stormtower

First Post
As the Ice Pirate Lord representative to ENWorld, I'd like to say thanks for running a great round. Your energy picked us up and carried us. We had a blast.

If anyone gets a chance to play at a Stormtower run table, take it.

Thaumaturge.
(Patrin, Dragonborn Warlord of the Ice Pirate Lords)

Thanks for your kind words, Thaumaturge. We'll do it all over again in your backyard (Pitt) at DDXP in February! Looking forward to it.

WoTC Experience

I hate to pile on but after this year's GenCon, my entire group swore off from ever buying directly from WoTC again. Three people (including myself) had negative experiences from the same person who was manning the counter. I stopped in each day to check to see if the FRCS was available. After being told it was sold out each day, I asked the guy manning the counter on Saturday if they would have any available on Sunday. The conversation went like this:

"Will you have any books to tomorrow?"

WoTC Rep: "We'll have about 30 books, it won't even be worth your time stopping down to try and get one" He then followed that up with "Actually it's probably less than that - I'll probably have 15-20 for sale"

I followed with, "Why not have more books available? It seems that they are selling out within an hour or two each day."

WoTC Rep: "Where would I put the books? I only have so much space for product. What would you have me do with the books I don't sell? Are you going to pay my shipping costs to send them back when the Con is over if they don't sell? I don't think so"

After this comment I just walked away. The guy talked to me like I was some idiot for asking about the book and asking if they would have any on Sunday. On Friday I waited a good 5 minutes while two members of WoTC continued a conversation with each other. When they finally greeted me it was with an annoyed "Yes?" statement. Every other company at GenCon is generally excited to help someone at their booth - but WoTC was cold and left me feeling like I was not a valued customer. This was my introduction to trying to prep for the first campaign setting that supports 4E? I've been a loyal FR player since the Grey Box - I'm not buying the book now.

Other experiences from my group were similiar in tone, though that was probably the worst overall. It is both sad and funny that when I went back to my room on Saturday to tell the group about my experience - someone else had a similiar story for me.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
You must often leave stores, if that is your usual reaction to such a responce from a sales guy ...

When I get treated like that, yeah, I leave, and usually make it clear I didn't appreciate such rudeness. I'm not a doormat for somebody just because I want to buy something from them. I don't often get such treatment, though, because most salespeople I've run across have been pleasant. I can't imagine getting such treatment a lot.

Longshadow,

I would like to personally apologize for the total lack of professionalism and customer service you received at the Wizards of the Coast booth. Yes we under ordered the FR books and lots of people were probably asking about them and likely upset about us being sold out but that is no excuse for apathy and rudeness.

See my PM as I would like to get a description of the individual and take this incident up with our show manager.

Also PM me you home address and I will send you a copy of the Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide myself

Kind Regards and Apologies,

Now I wish that the "big box" stores could learn something from The Rouse!

fba827

Adventurer
(snip) various rude attendees (such as all those people wearing those incredibly tacky “4th Edition Killed Gary” T-Shirts),

Seriously? That is very tacky! Sickening actually.

Anyway, sorry for the thread derail... we now return you to our regularly requested GenCon experiences from those that were there.

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
Longshadow,

I would like to personally apologize for the total lack of professionalism and customer service you received at the Wizards of the Coast booth. Yes we under ordered the FR books and lots of people were probably asking about them and likely upset about us being sold out but that is no excuse for apathy and rudeness.

See my PM as I would like to get a description of the individual and take this incident up with our show manager.

Also PM me you home address and I will send you a copy of the Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide myself

Wow. That's just incredibly cool, Mr. Rouse. I'll admit to having some lingering bitterness towards WotC (for a variety of reasons that aren't really important), but that, sir, is service with a smile...so to speak.

And for the record, I have actually had very good experiences with WotC customer service. When the Aberrations D&D minis set came out, my Sauhagin ranger was missing his umm...head or arm, I think, and I got a new one sent out, no questions asked, with just one e-mail. If I recall, it arrived very quickly, too.

Darkwolf71

First Post
Longshadow,

I've had a lot of mixed feelings towards WotC over the last 18 months or so. One thing, however has remained constant. The Rouse is one heck of a stand up guy.

You 'da man. ;)

Remove ads