OSR Old school wizards, how do you play level 1?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Generally I'd play them from behind party, you cast that one spell, then stand back and use a sling and hope no stray arrows come your way. If you're lucky you hit that second level and double your spell power!

Nowadays, I'd probably do something like give them a wand or staff that shoots magical darts or something which can be recharged with spell slots.

Stand back, keep watch in all directions, direct traffic, be ready to catch anyone who flees in fear, be ready to drag anyone downed on our side out of the combat, support the line where I can, and otherwise just do my best to stay out of harm's way. If I have to fight, my dagger or staff is at hand.

Or, if staff is my weapon I do have reach, meaning I can poke it through the front line or swing it over a short party member's head to reach a foe. I've done this numerous times.
Yes, now I remember what it was actually like. It’s all about expectations. I still dislike unlimited cantrips.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Which works just great until the party have to retreat...
Just need to work out a pattern for dropping caltrops with your party in advance. Of course, being player characters, they will likely forget what that pattern is in a mad rush.

I didn't use caltrops myself of course, but I did have quite the collection of marbles and ball bearings.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Just need to work out a pattern for dropping caltrops with your party in advance. Of course, being player characters, they will likely forget what that pattern is in a mad rush.

I didn't use caltrops myself of course, but I did have quite the collection of marbles and ball bearings.
Best one I ever saw was when two front-liners were fighting some foes on a narrow log bridge and the back-liners decided to oil up the logs - behind the fighters! - to stop the enemies getting across.

Both warriors died when they tried to retreat, slipped on the logs, fell in the water, and were then messily eaten by the very deadly denizens of said water...

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Best one I ever saw was when two front-liners were fighting some foes on a narrow log bridge and the back-liners decided to oil up the logs - behind the fighters! - to stop the enemies getting across.

Both warriors died when they tried to retreat, slipped on the logs, fell in the water, and were then messily eaten by the very deadly denizens of said water...
See you really need to share plans with everyone. But on the other hand, a lot of my memories of 1e play include moments of "screw your buddies over for funsies" because apparently some people thought that was hilarious.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads