• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Old Style Rock-and-roll American Bands

A quick glance at the front page of Pollstar.com shows the following on tour this summer:

The Allman Brothers
Bob Dylan
Jethro Tull (are they British? I never really got into Tull, so I don't remember)
John Mellencamp & John Fogerty
Jimmy Buffett
Journey
Santana
Styx/Kansas/REO Speedwagon
Ted Nugent

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
Foghat is British, but relocated to the US
AC/DC-Australian
Jethro Tull-British
Deep Purple-British
Oak Ridge Boys and Alabama are country, not rock 'n' roll. Alabama also retired last year...allegedly.

GlassJaw

Hero
Most of the supergroups in this time period were British: The Beatles, Stones, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Cream, The Police, Pink Floyd, etc.

The Doors were American, although they aren't touring anymore.

DungeonmasterCal said:
Oak Ridge Boys and Alabama are country, not rock 'n' roll. Alabama also retired last year...allegedly.

Oak Ridge Boys were a joke (just forgot the smiley face).

As for Alabama, a lot of their stuff was heavily influenced by the outlaw movment of Country (Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, and Jessi Colter) which transformed not only country, but also Rock & Roll; as both Johnny Cash & Waylon Jennings are in the Rock Hall of Fame.

While Called Country, a lot of Alabama stuff got's a rock feel to it, like Lynryd Skynrd's stuff had a country feel to it.

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
Vraille Darkfang said:
Oak Ridge Boys were a joke (just forgot the smiley face).

As for Alabama, a lot of their stuff was heavily influenced by the outlaw movment of Country (Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, and Jessi Colter) which transformed not only country, but also Rock & Roll; as both Johnny Cash & Waylon Jennings are in the Rock Hall of Fame.

While Called Country, a lot of Alabama stuff got's a rock feel to it, like Lynryd Skynrd's stuff had a country feel to it.

Yeah, I won't disagree with you on any of that. In fact, most modern country performers will tell you that Skynyrd was a huge influence on them. I watched a special on CMT Saturday about Southern Rock, and now I'm more determined than ever to hunt down a stylus for my turntable and blow the dust of my LP's.

National Acrobat

First Post
Heart is still around, with Gilby Clarke on guitar, Michael Inez on bass, and I forget the new drummer's name, but the Wilson Sister's keep on trucking. They tour.

Black Sabbath is on tour this summer as well.

Loverboy is still touring as well, they do the summer festivals/Fair-type thing.

Remove ads