• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Old Style Rock-and-roll American Bands

GlassJaw

Hero
Black Sabbath is on tour this summer as well.

British (I hope you knew that).

Heart is still around, with Gilby Clarke on guitar, Michael Inez on bass, and I forget the new drummer's name, but the Wilson Sister's keep on trucking. They tour.

Wow, quite a lineup. Mike Inez used to play with Ozzie and was one of the original members of Alice in Chains. Gilby played with G&R for a short time.

National Acrobat

First Post
Yeah I knew Sabbath was British. I'm a Sab Fanatic. I just hit "enter" when I realized the American part of the topic. I didn't feel like editing.

Didn't Mike Inez replace Michael Starr on bass in Alice in Chains? I always thought Michale Starr was the original bassist.

GlassJaw said:
Wow, quite a lineup. Mike Inez used to play with Ozzie and was one of the original members of Alice in Chains. Gilby played with G&R for a short time.

Actually, Mike wasn't the original bass player for Alice in Chains. He replaced Mike Starr in 1992, who quit/was kicked out of the band after the release of AICs second album (Dirt).

GlassJaw

Hero
Mike wasn't the original bass player for Alice in Chains. He replaced Mike Starr in 1992, who quit/was kicked out of the band after the release of AICs second album

Oh that's right - I knew that. Good catch.

Darrin Drader

Explorer
megamania said:
Last summer I saw Lynard Skynard. Awesome show.

Who's singing for Skynnyrd these days? I know Johnny Van Zant was back in the early '90s, but I have no idea who it is now. Is it some random person or someone with a name I would recognize.

Frankly, with the number of original band members that were killed in that plane crash back in the '70s, I'm surprised whenever I hear about them still being around.

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
Whisperfoot said:
Who's singing for Skynnyrd these days? I know Johnny Van Zant was back in the early '90s, but I have no idea who it is now. Is it some random person or someone with a name I would recognize.

Frankly, with the number of original band members that were killed in that plane crash back in the '70s, I'm surprised whenever I hear about them still being around.

Johnny was singing as of last year, but he and the other brother, Donnie, have formed a country rock outfit called Van Zant and are promoting the cd now.

Darrin Drader

Explorer
DungeonmasterCal said:
Johnny was singing as of last year, but he and the other brother, Donnie, have formed a country rock outfit called Van Zant and are promoting the cd now.

That has the potential to be really good. I should check it out. Donnie did great stuff with 38 Special. Maybe they should just recruit Boe Bice. That dude may have been discovered on American Idol, but he's actually really, really good.

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
Whisperfoot said:
That has the potential to be really good. I should check it out. Donnie did great stuff with 38 Special. Maybe they should just recruit Boe Bice. That dude may have been discovered on American Idol, but he's actually really, really good.

I never watched American Idol until this season, when my son asked me to watch it with him. Bo reminds me of so many people I grew up with here in the south, and to me, anyway, it was really refreshing to see someone who still found worth in old school rock. I was pretty let down when he didn't win. On the other hand, he's not going to suffer for coming in second. I think he's got a decent future ahead of him.

loki44

Explorer
Not 70's, but in the arena rock vein....I think Guns N' Roses is coming out with a new album later this year. Betcha they tour if that's true. If you just want plain old rock n' roll how about the Black Crowes or the White Stripes?

Hijinks

First Post
"good old-fashioned rock-and-roll groups".

I guess I'm not sure exactly how you'd define this.
We're looking for arena rockers, with the big concerts, that are still touring, and originated in the 70's. Not single acts, like some of the responses have listed, and no hair bands, new age, or grunge. What you would call Americana rock and roll. It was just a challenge we set to ourselves to think up, and we couldn't think of anything. Some great responses here, though!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads