D&D General Ollie’s has Campaign Cases for $3 and Warriors of Krynn for $10

Anybody have any recommendations for a fixative for the creature clings? I'm planning to permanently mount them on both sides to have a decent array of options in a dense package (e.g. 80 creatures on 40 disks)

I will say the cases are a pain to open the first time. The fold-over wasn't obvious to me so I tore the other edge trying to open one. (My wife laughed so maybe it's intuitive to some people) The magnets are quite strong so the edges seemed glued in both directions. A piece of ribbon sticking out of that flap would have gone a long way to lowering my exasperation. (FYI, the closure flap folds over the rope handles with a cutout so the handle helps keep the case from opening)

The cases are alllllmost big enough to comfortably store ~3 books. Meaning I got it to grudgingly hold a PHB, DMG & TCoE with some bulging due to the heavy rope handle. Doubt it's good long term for the books.

I am planning to try and figure out a way to combine the fold-out map, a few tiles and the creature disks in one case. I feel like I should be able to store all the disks in a thinner shape with a larger cross section by layering some cardboard and drilling out suitable holes.

darjr

I crit!
Anybody have any recommendations for a fixative for the creature clings? I'm planning to permanently mount them on both sides to have a decent array of options in a dense package (e.g. 80 creatures on 40 disks)

I will say the cases are a pain to open the first time. The fold-over wasn't obvious to me so I tore the other edge trying to open one. (My wife laughed so maybe it's intuitive to some people) The magnets are quite strong so the edges seemed glued in both directions. A piece of ribbon sticking out of that flap would have gone a long way to lowering my exasperation.

The cases are alllllmost big enough to comfortably store ~3 books. Meaning I got it to grudgingly hold a PHB, DMG & TCoE with some bulging due to the heavy rope handle. Doubt it's good long term for the books.

I am planning to try and figure out a way to combine the fold-out map, a few tiles and the creature disks in one case. I feel like I should be able to store all the disks in a thinner shape with a larger cross section by layering some cardboard and drilling out suitable holes.
So far it's been my experience that if they are clean when you stick them then they stay on very well to the tokens. You may be able to just do that.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
I saw this and found the closest Ollie's to me. They were largely sold out and not worth the trip. Too bad! But it did put them on the map for future purchases.

This is another indication that 2023 was a year with serious problems.

Dire Bare

Legend
Another discounted item at Ollies was a set of die cast miniatures - an adventuring party and an ogre - none of them especially D&D in appearance, wrongly scaled for grid-play (for example, Campaign Case Terrain). [Interestingly, the die cast miniatures were a licensed product.]
It doesn't seem like these were thought-out very well. It's just wasting money . . .
The die-cast figures are not "miniatures" intended for tabletop D&D play. They are toys, or collectibles rather. And, as you mention, they are a licensed product, so not an example of WotC "wasting money". The company behind them is Jada Toys, out of Denmark I think.

Jada makes these die-cast figurines for all sorts of franchises including D&D, Harry Potter, Transformers, Power Rangers, DC Comics, Minecraft, Marvel and more, all in the same size (but not necessarily scale, the Transformers robots are the same size as the D&D figs). I'm assuming there is an existing market for them, but have no idea how well they sell. But Jada makes a LOT of them.

Looking at photos of the figures, without realizing the scale of them, they seem perfect for D&D tabletop play. But as you noticed, they are scaled to large for the standard 28mm we use with our 1" grids. That doesn't make they a crap product or a waste of money, it just means they aren't the product for you. Me either. But that's okay.

D&D is big enough now we have all sorts of licenses products that won't necessarily appeal to the tabletop gamer. Why is that a problem for some folks?

Retreater

Legend
Looking at photos of the figures, without realizing the scale of them, they seem perfect for D&D tabletop play. But as you noticed, they are scaled to large for the standard 28mm we use with our 1" grids. That doesn't make they a crap product or a waste of money, it just means they aren't the product for you. Me either. But that's okay.
Sure. But why not scale them appropriately to work with your other projects? Do some synergy?

jgsugden

Legend
Sure. But why not scale them appropriately to work with your other projects? Do some synergy?
They're the same size as all of the other Jada lines. My wife is a Harry Potter fan so I bought her a couple sets of teh various Harry Potter figures - and then when she stopped displaying them in favor of upgraded ones she located elsewhere I game them - as well as a bunch of the D&D ones I previously found - to my 8 and 4 year olds to get them interested. I reserved a few for use in my D&D games as well, but just a few.

Remove ads