D&D General Ollie’s has Campaign Cases for $3 and Warriors of Krynn for $10

Retreater

Legend
The campaign cases were weird products. They make premium (est $70 retail) sets for a game that they're pushing for theatre of the mind, that the designers and development team don't play on grids or with miniatures.
Another discounted item at Ollies was a set of die cast miniatures - an adventuring party and an ogre - none of them especially D&D in appearance, wrongly scaled for grid-play (for example, Campaign Case Terrain). [Interestingly, the die cast miniatures were a licensed product.]
It doesn't seem like these were thought-out very well. It's just wasting money, like the purchase and selling of eOne (which they bought for $4 billion and sold for $500 million - essentially losing $3.5 billion.)
The board game (which I haven't played yet) is bizarrely for 3-5 players. Like, my wife and I can't play it on a snowed-in evening like the majority of other board games. Why three players?

Zaukrie

New Publisher
The campaign cases were weird products. They make premium (est $70 retail) sets for a game that they're pushing for theatre of the mind, that the designers and development team don't play on grids or with miniatures.
Another discounted item at Ollies was a set of die cast miniatures - an adventuring party and an ogre - none of them especially D&D in appearance, wrongly scaled for grid-play (for example, Campaign Case Terrain). [Interestingly, the die cast miniatures were a licensed product.]
It doesn't seem like these were thought-out very well. It's just wasting money, like the purchase and selling of eOne (which they bought for $4 billion and sold for $500 million - essentially losing $3.5 billion.)
The board game (which I haven't played yet) is bizarrely for 3-5 players. Like, my wife and I can't play it on a snowed-in evening like the majority of other board games. Why three players?
Most board games aren't for two people. That an odd take.

They license all kind of minis and other companies make a lot of money selling terrain and minis. I literally have no idea your point here.

Stock probably came from warehouses.

You can return books, can't return this stuff. Someone's taking a dunking.
That's what prompted me to ask about figures. I didn't hear anyone mention them, so it was news to me. The nearest Ollie's is about 700 miles from me, so not exactly a worthwhile trip to see. haha

Zardnaar

Legend
That's what prompted me to ask about figures. I didn't hear anyone mention them, so it was news to me. The nearest Ollie's is about 700 miles from me, so not exactly a worthwhile trip to see. haha

I'm kind of jealous of these stores. We don't really have them here. Pop up ones sometimes.

If we do they're up north which is probably 700+ miles.

Last edited:

darjr

I crit!
I’ve seen a couple few reports that the campaign cases are all fine from some Ollies.

Anybody else with an Ollies see that?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Something I'm not sure I've seen people point out - aren't the campaign cases and the Dragonlance board game the three items WotC was experimenting with direct to consumer sale of?
That was the board game and adventure combo pack: this seems to be the stock of just the board game by itself.

That was the board game and adventure combo pack: this seems to be the stock of just the board game by itself.
Weren’t they also selling the campaign cases in a combo with sone of the DDB core books? Like the terrain case came with a DDB PHB and the monster case came with a DDB Monster Manual? I remember something like that.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Weren’t they also selling the campaign cases in a combo with sone of the DDB core books? Like the terrain case came with a DDB PHB and the monster case came with a DDB Monster Manual? I remember something like that.
Don't recall off hand. They honestly never interested me at all?

Remove ads