• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Olympics: Who is watching?

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
I'm just curious to see how closely everyone here has been following the Summer Olympics in London.

Last edited:

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I've been rather busy lately, but when I've got some time to spend in front of the TV, I'm watching the Olympics.

I'm a bit of a traditionalist, so I'm still somewhat weirded by some of the "fringe" sports, but I've been enjoying some volleyball, some swimming and a little fencing.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Opening and Closing Ceremonies are a must.

Primetime in the evenings comes just as I'm starting to get sleepy, so I don't ever get all the way through it. (More afternoon programming would be useful; but then how would NBC get all that Primetime viewership to sell all those advertisements?)

Team sports ('Football' and Volleyball) take a long time to work through the Pool and Elimination rounds, so they don't always hold my attention.
I tend to gloss over Fencing and Judo because they're not high-profile sports in the USA; but neither is Table Tennis, and I like it (but don't watch it).

JDragon

Explorer
I've been watching what I can. In fact I found an app for my iPad that allows me to watch every single event live if I had that much free time.

It also seems to be storing most or maybe even all of the events so you can go back later and watch it. I just hope they leave it available for sometime after the Olympics are over.

With the app I have been able to watch the US skeet shooter set a new record hitting 99 out of 100 targets, and set the record for participating and medaling in her 5 Olympics. I also got to see some of the archery and fencing and hope to catch some other things that don't seem to get much airtime on TV.

The app is called NBC Live Extra, it is a free app. To use it you need to have a cable subscription that includes CNBC and MSNBC in your normal line up. From what I've seen that's basic cable for most people. You set up an username & password on www.watchtveverywhere.com, which requires information from your bill to confirm your subscription. Then put that UN & PW in the app and you are set if you have data connection. Be careful if using a cellular connection, I'm guessing it uses a lot of data.

JD

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Olympics is a typical runs-in-the-background event. The TV set is switched on but I don't spend much time actively watching it.

But as we currently don't have a working set, this strategy doesn't work. So it's live stream in a background window in the evening and news ticker during work.

Orius

Legend
Wait, wait, there's stuff in Britain that's not part of London?!* :confused:

:)

I watched Opening Ceremonies, once again at the mercy of NBC and their horrid coverage. Now, I don't mind much that they did a tape delay with the ceremony itself because London *is* 4 hours ahead of the US East Coast, so if it was broadcast live, it would have been 3 or 4 on a Friday afternoon (and even earlier in the day for the West Coast). Bad for watcing. The smart thing to do is just not read anything on the internet about the ceremony until I actually get around to watching it.

Even with the usual banal blather of Bob Costas et al, it was still better than the job they did in 2008. Though that was pretty close to the bottom, so they could only go up. But NBC is getting slammed on the internet repeatedly for their wretched coverage, just go over to something like Yahoo! Sports and you'll be able to read about a half dozen topics of how bad it is. I can only hope ABC or FOX or somebody can outbid them when their rights to broadcast the games are up.

*Yes, I do know better.

pogre

Legend
I dvr it and fast forward through the nonsense to watch competition.

I often turn off the sound because I have little patience for the analysts NBC uses.

Really looking forward to track & field or "athletics" as the Europeans often say.

So far I think Great Britain has really done an outstanding job of hosting the games.

Last edited:

Remove ads