On number of ignores

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapnZapp

Legend
Sure, but this isn't doing that. No real protection is being offered. When I only saw the portions that were quoted, I understood the context of the posts that I could see and responded to those people who didn't have me blocked. What is currently happening is creating a situation where if I want to engage in conversation with people who don't have me blocked in a coherent fashion, I have to log out and read the thread so I can see the context of their post. That shows me all of the posts from the people blocking me, even the ones I didn't need to see in order to understand the context. And I'm not the only one I've seen say this.
You're making this about yourself, despite being told repeatedly the function is not geared towards your case. You're making yourself look like an entitled fool by trying to paint your situation as a significant bug and by appearing to not even consider the real reasons the functionality is even offered.

Your convenience needs to take a back seat compared to actually protecting victims of stalking.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Trust me when I say that any barrier, no matter how easily circumvented (and considering how annoying you're making it sound...) is one measure of protection greater than I would otherwise have. If I've ignored someone, I very much want them to have difficulty reading my posts.

What upsets me, on the other hand, is how easy it seems to get around an ignore. I don't know how possible it is to deal with the logging out issue (at least it seems to be a headache!) But I'd really like it if there were a way to block quotes from being read as well.
I think the only way to do that would be to stop any visitor from being able to read posts here, but that would diminish the number of new posters who join the site.
But the thing you're complaining about is very much a feature, not a bug. If someone has ignored you it is because they very specifically do not want you engaging with their conversations.

Maybe take a hint.
There's no hint for me to take that I haven't already taken. I have no interest in engaging with THEIR conversations. If I did, I would have logged out during the time period before they moved to the new software here. The issue is that I can't effectively engage in a good amount of conversation with those who DON'T have me blocked, because the context is hidden. By logging out and seeing the portion quoted, I get the proper context for the response from the poster that doesn't have me blocked, so I can give a valid response.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Yes! In this case, very much yes.

(The "harm" to you in "missing out on context" is easily worth the benefit to real victims, is what everybody is trying to tell you.)
The "harm" to me is no less than the "harm" of my reading a post of someone who blocked me and not engaging with it at all.

CapnZapp

Legend
If that's the purpose, then it's inherently a failed purpose. The design forces those who want to make coherent sense of threads to log out and read what they can't see. Rather than seeing a few quoted snippets, they are now seeing everything.
The ignore feature is meant to lessen the friction on the board. If you don't even see that somebody has blocked you, you are much less likely to harass that person elsewhere on the internet. What you are suggesting amounts to the forum constantly reminding people they are "blocked by X" which is NOT HELPFUL.

That this causes you inconvenience is utterly beside the point. That a stalker determined enough to monitor the forum while logged out to find out who is ignoring him or her is also missing the point - most people won't bother doing that, and when they don't, the system is working as intended.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
You're making yourself look like an entitled fool by trying to paint your situation as a significant bug and by appearing to not even consider the real reasons the functionality is even offered.
No less so than you trying to make this one sided when it isn't.
Your convenience needs to take a back seat compared to actually protecting victims of stalking.
Nothing I'm saying even remotely comes close to stalking. At all. Not even a little bit. I reject your hyperbole for what it is.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The ignore feature is meant to lessen the friction on the board. If you don't even see that somebody has blocked you, you are much less likely to harass that person elsewhere on the internet.
That's completely untrue in my case as I don't care about where they are on the internet. I have no interest in harassing people and I can't get lower than 0%. If someone else here is going to go through the effort to harass someone across the internet, this feature isn't going to be more than an extremely minor speedbump.
What you are suggesting amounts to the forum constantly reminding people they are "blocked by X" which is NOT HELPFUL.

That this causes you inconvenience is utterly beside the point. That a stalker determined enough to monitor the forum while logged out to find out who is ignoring him or her is also missing the point - most people won't bother doing that, and when they don't, the system is working as intended.
Nothing changes, though. In fact, I'm MORE likely to be reminded about people who block me as I am going to see not just the quote I'm looking at for context, but everything and everyone else as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads