D&D (2024) One D&D Overly Complex

We had one player in our 5e game walk his dog, literally, before his turn came back around.

Sure, there are things that can be done, but I’d rather not have to wrestle the system.

You cant blame the system for a dude walking his dog though.

5E is pretty fast as far as DnD goes. A lot quicker than 3rd (calculating power attack, and fiddly bonuses everywhere) and 4th (where every action is a specific ability that often needs to be looked up).

Cruentus

Adventurer
You cant blame the system for a dude walking his dog though.

5E is pretty fast as far as DnD goes. A lot quicker than 3rd (calculating power attack, and fiddly bonuses everywhere) and 4th (where every action is a specific ability that often needs to be looked up).
Sure I can. He took his turn (quickly), then went to walk his dog, and when he returned, it still had not come back to his turn. That’s on the system and the players (and these are not “new” players).

5e “can” be faster, but all the buttons and levers and abilities and such make it harder to be so consistently in my experience. Again, which is why we went back to Basic.

I 1DND is streamlining the game in a way I find elegant.

Class groups each have a game mechanic they modify. Mages play with different spell ideas, warriors have weapon mastery, priests have channel powers, and experts have expertise. It is still a little shallow in some cases right now, but overall, it works and I like it.

Sure I can. He took his turn (quickly), then went to walk his dog, and when he returned, it still had not come back to his turn. That’s on the system and the players (and these are not “new” players).

5e “can” be faster, but all the buttons and levers and abilities and such make it harder to be so consistently in my experience. Again, which is why we went back to Basic.

No that's not on the system. That's the DMs fault. Note, I said DM and not player because the DM is the one to manage it.

DM: 'Dude, if you go off and walk your dog that's fine, but if your turn comes up and you're not back, you take the Dodge action and your turn ends; if you are back you'll have 6 seconds to tell me what you're doing or the same thing happens' or 'Dude, if you go off to walk your dog now, you're out for the rest of the session. Make up your mind what's more important to you.'

You could be playing literally any system; if your player heads out mid round to walk his dog or head to the shops or whatever, and isnt back when it's his turn then you're obviously going to have problems.

Belen

Adventurer
No that's not on the system. That's the DMs fault. Note, I said DM and not player because the DM is the one to manage it.

DM: 'Dude, if you go off and walk your dog that's fine, but if your turn comes up and you're not back, you take the Dodge action and your turn ends; if you are back you'll have 6 seconds to tell me what you're doing or the same thing happens' or 'Dude, if you go off to walk your dog now, you're out for the rest of the session. Make up your mind what's more important to you.'

You could be playing literally any system; if your player heads out mid round to walk his dog or head to the shops or whatever, and isnt back when it's his turn then you're obviously going to have problems.
Did you miss where the player walked the dog, returned, and it has not come back around to that players turn? The poster was saying that it took so long for the other players to take their turns that the dog-walker knew he had time to walk his dog.

The DM can be gung ho. I do skip players if they are not ready but it still takes a while. It can be decidedly not fun when the combat takes too long.

I even killed the battle map in my games so that I do not have players trying to take too long with mini placement. There are no minis now.

This is one reason a lot of players never make it to high level. It becomes a combat turn nightmare.

mamba

Legend
The DM can be gung ho. I do skip players if they are not ready but it still takes a while. It can be decidedly not fun when the combat takes too long.
if your turn is up after 6 seconds, then whatever time you have until your next one is up is not enough for a dog walk

Did you miss where the player walked the dog, returned, and it has not come back around to that players turn? The poster was saying that it took so long for the other players to take their turns that the dog-walker knew he had time to walk his dog.

That's a DM problem.

Like, I play the same game, and there is no way in hell I'd have a player go off and walk his dog mid round, or the other players take so long that this would be seen as in any way acceptable.

In my games, I give my players roughly 6 seconds (I'll start a slow count back from 6 after a few seconds) to tell me what they're doing after announcing it's their turn, or their PC takes the Dodge action and their turn ends.

You spend the time it's not your turn (while everyone else is having their turns) watching the board, and planning what to do when your initiative comes up.

I'll show some leniency to new players (it's one of the DMs jobs to teach new players the game after all) by pausing the countdown to explain a class feature or spell. After 3rd level you're on your own though.

Turns only take forever, if the DM permits it. We're not playing Rolemaster here (with percentile rolls, parry bonuses, charts indicating roles on other charts, in different books, upkeeping stun rounds, bleeding, penalties from wounds etc). On most turns you're casting a spell (and there is a save involved) or making an attack (an attack roll is involved) and then rolling damage. Each turn shouldn't take more than 30 seconds to resolve, a minute at absolute most (Action surging fighters rolling several attacks etc).

DM: OK (checks initiative order) Steve (Fighter 6), you're in combat with 5 orcs. It's now your turn.
Steve: I'll attack the Orcs, toggling GWM 'on'. Makes attack roll (hits, rolls damage, drops Orc 1). Makes attack roll (misses). I'll now attack with my bonus action from GWM. Makes attack roll (hits, rolls damage, drops another Orc). Now I'll action surge, taking the attack action. Makes attack roll (misses). Makes another attack roll (hits, rolls damage, drops another Orc).
DM: Nice work, you kill three Orcs! (checks initiative order). OK... Bob, you're up next.
Bob: (Looks up from phone) huh? What's going on...
DM: (Frowning at Bob but otherwise silent) Six... five... four...
Bob: (looking down at table, sees 2 Orcs in melee with Steve) hurriedly - I'll cast Scorching Ray, using a 2nd level slot. Makes 3 attack rolls, rolls damage for each hit.

Etc.

Cruentus

Adventurer
Your table/rules = your table/rules. Other tables/rules =/= your table/rules.

Your experience is not universal, no matter how often you claim it is. Nor is your way necessarily better. All I will say is your experience is not my experience, and I’ll agree to disagree.

Vaalingrade

Legend
I have a hard time imagining that any sort of tactical play could be possible with only six seconds and some guy literally counting it down while you're trying to think.

"Oh, but you were supposed to be paying attention."

Yeah, for the whole 18 seconds the rest of the party was allotted; a situation that changed on the last turn six seconds ago.

Your table/rules = your table/rules. Other tables/rules =/= your table/rules.

Your experience is not universal, no matter how often you claim it is. Nor is your way necessarily better. All I will say is your experience is not my experience, and I’ll agree to disagree.

I didnt say it was universal. I said if you're having a problem with players mucking about and taking too long on their turns, it's because the DM is allowing it to happen.

Not all DMs allow it to happen.

Remove ads