D&D General One Piece of Art IX (Wildcard)- What NON-D&D Art Inspired You to Love D&D?

I still haven't gotten to actually play yet, but when I think about playing this painting is what always comes to mind.

A Bad Roll by Kadrion on Furaffinity

1549902150.kadrion_fex.jpg.jpg

I love the mixing of the game and the fictional universe in it, and the atmosphere of fun and comradery at the table is how I hope my eventual gaming experience will be like. Even the poor dragon looks more annoyed than angry at this turn of events.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
View attachment 259887

Artist: unknown
Source: Time Bandits (1981, dir. Terry Gilliam)
Oeuvre: Map of the Universe prop (and the film itself, of course!)

Rationale: The Map is the ultimate macguffin in a movie that is, to little-boy me, the most gonzo D&D thing that's not actually D&D.

Loved Time Bandits! I was close to the same age as the kid in the movie, and it came out in the same year as Dragonslayer. ;)

GuyBoy

Hero
9066D537-793A-4140-911E-AA483E92D6D2.jpeg

This cover from Dunsany’s classic. For me, as a young teen in the late 1970s, it showed a more whimsical, romantic fantasy to go alongside the Elric and Conan stuff and they all melded in my D&D gaming.

Real Partha did a miniature which I always assumed was based on this cover painting, so maybe it inspired them too?

6C5AB172-208C-4304-8D1B-BF3706CC9ED1.jpeg

pukunui

Legend
I’ve managed to find something for all the previous threads but this one has honestly got me beat. I can’t think of any non-D&D art that made me love D&D.

It’s the D&D art that made me love D&D.

Remove ads