D&D General One thing I hate about the Sorcerer

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
It seems to me what you’re asking for is for WotC to tell you what is mundane and what isn’t, instead of every table making its own determination.

I’ve never particularly flinched at Evasion. It’s a cool ability. If it bothers you that it seems extraordinary rather than mundane, than you can decide at your table that it isn’t a mundane ability.

But at the end of the day, there’s not going to be agreement whether certain abilities are mundane or something different, and it doesn’t make sense for WotC to make this determination for everyone.
There is an explicit agreement for everyone who isn't a fighter or a rogue though.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Fair enough. Then stating that all characters are supernatural is subjective preference.
Sure. I find it wildly difficult to reconcile the rules as presented in the book with a coherent setting narrative without using the idea that anyone mid-level or higher has some sort of "supernatural/preternatural/transmundane" characteristics. But my inability to do that is absolutely subjective.

Micah Sweet

They are both given a wink and a nod that their supernatural abilities aren't supernatural even though they are essentially meta currency disguised as class features. They are also the only two classes that get lambasted for being weak and needing support in the form of items to survive.
I've never seen a problem with needing items, especially as levels go up. Downplaying them as 5e has was a design error from my point of view.

Remathilis

Legend
Because it is cooler that way to me. I want levelling to be about more than just bigger numbers.
But the wizard isn't just about bigger numbers. He gets better and more interesting effects as he levels. But he's not throwing alchemist fire for a half-dozen levels before he can conjure magical fire.

Personally, I think classes like the monk, barbarian and blood hunter sum this up well. None of them wait for levels to get supernatural abilities, and all of their abilities are more than just big numbers. I just want the fighter and rogue to have the same type of abilities.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I'll say it again.

You can have 20 levels of a mundane warrior or rogue.

It either requires

1) the game to explicitly state magic items are required

2) invoke actual high level mundane ability with complex features

The Number 1 problem is that WOTC and a portion of the community demand fighters and rogues to be:

1. Simple with simple mechanics.
  2. Require no magic items

Micah Sweet

Sure. I find it wildly difficult to reconcile the rules as presented in the book with a coherent setting narrative without using the idea that anyone mid-level or higher has some sort of "supernatural/preternatural/transmundane" characteristics. But my inability to do that is absolutely subjective.
As I've said, I'm fine with a transition from mundane to supernatural at mid level. I just want that called out in the class's narrative.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I've never seen a problem with needing items, especially as levels go up. Downplaying them as 5e has was a design error from my point of view.
If it was up to me (it isn't, but oh, if it was!) then I'd probably only have about 1/3 of the character's overall power coming from selected character powers, with the remainder coming from magic items and other earned boons within the story.

That's not a super-popular view because players generally want to have much more control over their character's growth, but that's something I don't want in a D&D style game.

Remove ads