Online Game Trolls -- what's the psychology?

Janx

Hero
Well, it gets a little sticky. The following is armchair psych - I am not a professional...

Technically, narcissism is the pursuit of gratification from vanity or egotistic admiration of one's own attributes. Sadism is the pursuit of gratification from causing discomfort or pain to others.

So, wanting to hurt others to make himself feel better is sadism. Making himself look good by tearing others down is narcissism.

Not caring about the other people's feelings, not viewing them as people like himself, is psychopathy.

From the reported behavior, he doesn't seem to be into manipulation, so not very Machiavellian.

From your descriptions, it sounds like the Reddit example is a case of sadism or psychopathy.

I would wonder if somebody who has a few psychopathic traits (aka, not a serial killer or obviously bad person) is somehow enabled/triggered by the anonymous nature of the internet.

So it's not that they sought it out initially, so much as they lack empathy, and simply don't connect the dots that other people online are like other people in real life. Which simply leads them to act like they are baiting chat bots instead of hurting people. Then it becomes a habit.

What I also find odd is that all the doing of bad things is by bad people. We generally never see "good" people rise up and take out the bad guys. There should be countless incidents of nerds using their IT powers to Dox, SWAT or show up at a doorstep to confront the tormentors. But it doesn't happen (well, that one time...). The only people possessing the traits to strike out are the very people starting the trouble. This seemed to me to be the same reason ISIS and Al Quaida don't get wiped out while they sleep by the villagers they torment.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
From your descriptions, it sounds like the Reddit example is a case of sadism or psychopathy.

Yep. But I am not a mental health professional. We should note that the "Dark Triad/Tetrad" model is a model for folks who are not "mentally ill" in the common sense. It is more like a personality model than it is an illness model, if you get my meaning.

I would wonder if somebody who has a few psychopathic traits (aka, not a serial killer or obviously bad person) is somehow enabled/triggered by the anonymous nature of the internet.

I, at least, would find that likely - lack of accountability is a major enabler of ad behavior.

So it's not that they sought it out initially, so much as they lack empathy, and simply don't connect the dots that other people online are like other people in real life.

Or at least it helps them conveniently ignore the fact, yes.

In addition, online interactions do an end-run around some of the feedback loops that govern thought, emotion, and behavior. Healthy people react to vocal tone, facial expressions, and body language subconsciously. Text-based communications do not engage some of your normal behavioral systems... so you behave differently, and even feel differently about those behaviors.

So, from the reddit example - that man may actually be a perfectly fine human being in person. He has empathy, and may actually care when dealing with people in the real world. Remove the vocal tones and body language that tells him about the feelings of the other person... and he becomes a class-A jerk, because part of what makes him a nice guy isn't engaged any more. He may honestly not have the feeling that they are human beings, because the buttons that tell him they are have not been pressed.

We generally never see "good" people rise up and take out the bad guys. There should be countless incidents of nerds using their IT powers to Dox, SWAT or show up at a doorstep to confront the tormentors.

Aside from the personal risk involved, and how it usually takes a significant amount of technical skill or knowledge to do so, you mean?

Most of us require clear sanction from our community before we take action. "War", for example, is such a sanction. And note how rising up and taking out the bad guys, even with such sanction, has repercussion on us - things like PTSD.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
More proof that it really is the Canadian researchers. This time, they are Trolling a baby AI at Google. Brilliant - lets troll our eventual overlords -- you know, the ones that have perfect memory recall and eventual access to launch codes :confused:

Link to story:
http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2015/06...ence-machine-gets-testy-with-its-programmers/
Pfft!  Amateurs!
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?313267-Your-Turing-Test-Big-quot-F-quot

And, BTW, I am STILL doing this on occasion.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
There should be countless incidents of nerds using their IT powers to Dox, SWAT or show up at a doorstep to confront the tormentors.

What you see instead is the Trolls (and close cousins) doing this to the innocent. THEY have no qualms.

Normal people, OTOH, do.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It's basically sheep vs. wolves.

Except, of course, that sheep behave that way because they are in an environment where sheepdogs are supposed to protect them. And, in fact, if the sheep didn't behave as they do, it would make the sheepdog's job difficult.

Case in point: After the Boston Marathon bombing, I heard from a great many people in other areas of the country, about how we in Boston were sheep, allowing the cops to order us into our homes and "take over" the city. These folks didn't notice that the cops didn't order - they *requested*, and we politely agreed that staying out of the their way was the best route to getting the bombers caught.

In many cases, choosing to get out of the way is the best course of action for the citizen who does not themselves have skills for defense.

What we have, at the moment, is a failure to adequately update out sheepdogs for the new millennium.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
What we have, at the moment, is a failure to adequately update out sheepdogs for the new millennium.

Found some plans:

Finally+our+collie+cyborg+is+complete+_bab4ad332d3fc43678db8407cc6a19cf.jpg

And an artist's concept:

Remove ads