• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OOC] Playing Dice with the Universe

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Fred,

Clerics are limited to bludgeoning weapons and use crosses, only, as holy symbols. Other than that, it looks good. :)

I use alignment languages to represent "holy" languages, so Lawful is the divine language used by the church and those aligned to the cause of Law.

House Rule: The majority of NPCs as well as animals don't have an alignment, per se. They may follow an alignment by default by being a member of the church (Lawful) or following their instincts (Neutral), but they aren't "Aligned" and thus don't speak or understand an alignment language. By choosing an alignment, one is choosing a side in an eternal conflict between vast cosmological forces. Anyone 1st level or higher (and most intelligent creatures) must choose an alignment.

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
Clerics are limited to bludgeoning weapons
Does it say that in your version or is this a house-rule? I mean it became that in later editions, granted, but all the three booklets say, that I know of is "[Clerics] have the use of magic armor and all non-edged magic weapons (no arrows!)" (p.7). That says nothing about the mundane weapons they can use, does it?

and use crosses, only, as holy symbols.
Could it be built into the cross-piece of a sword for a fee? That was a fairly common practice in crusader times (building-in the shape of a cross, I mean).

I'm guessing that's a "no" as far as HP house-rules are concerned, so here goes: 1d6=1. Knew it. :.-(

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Granted, the wording is a bit unclear, but the Fighter description also mentions only magical weapons. The implication, therefore, is that the cleric limited to bludgeoning weapons only, whether magical or not and that's the interpretation I'll be going with.

As for hit points, yes, roll normally. Wouldn't be "properly" old school any other way. ;)

(Though, keep in mind what I said before...I generally tend to prefer story and character to take precedence over random chance so having low hit points isn't necessarily a death sentence.)

As or the cross, I'll allow it to be emblazoned on a shield, for the price of a silver cross (in addition to the price of the shield itself).

Leif

Adventurer
I had intended to play a cleric at first, I see, but have since changed to a Dwarf. Should I use the same abilities that were generated. which are: 9, 9, 13, 8, 14, 11. Can I place the scores in any order? (Actually, i think that I probably mentioned cleric because I assumed that scores were rolled in order, but I'm not sure if you actually said that or not.)

If I can adjust the order of the scores, how I'd like to arrange them is: S-13, I-8, W-9, D-11, C-14, Ch-9, and adjustments for race still need to be made, and HP and GP rolled.

Description: Josh Frankel is a fairly recent hire to the university's grounds crew. He was a Phys. Ed. major (sophomore) last year, but flunked out. He turned his work-study job into full-time employment without much difficulty, since he had much more aptitude for the "work" than he ever did for the "study," anyway. Josh is a short, stocky fellow who has dark red hair and wears a beard.

Binder Fred

As for hit points, yes, roll normally. Wouldn't be "properly" old school any other way.
In my experience, Old School is actually characterized by a heaping helping of house-rules, on this very subject in particular. But alright: Bert is scrapping this character, as he'll by definition die as soon as he's hit. Does the professor allow him to roll another one?

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
No.

Part of the in-character preparation process when we start the IC thread will be Professor Blake having everyone increase their character's level to 5. So, please keep the character you rolled.

Leif

Adventurer
I believe I mentioned being able to place your ability scores where you like at some point.

(Sorry if there was any confusion on that.)
Wonderful! In that case, Josh's abilities are: S-13, I-8, W-9, D-11, C-14, Ch-9, BEFORE racial adjustments are made. No racial adjustments to ability scores are menioned in your first post in this thread. Does that mean that racial ability adjustments were not part of the game originally?

[sblock=Josh's Background]
Description: Josh Frankel is a fairly recent hire to the university's grounds crew. He was a Phys. Ed. major (sophomore) last year, but flunked out. He turned his work-study job into full-time employment without much difficulty, since he had much more aptitude for the "work" than he ever did for the "study," anyway. Josh is a short, stocky fellow who has dark red hair and wears a beard.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

willvr

First Post
Okay I'll try to get the actual sheet up in the next day or so; but I'm thinking he's an honors student; who's very honest, and 'by-the-book'. So he'll insist on using the stats as he rolled them in order, which is why the wisdom 6 and int 13.

I can revise if we need me to be an elf.

Binder Fred

OK. Rolled Trinibar's 5th level HPs here 4d6=13 (still not great but not broken either) and updated his sheet here.

Switched him to a flanged mace and incorporated his holy symbol into his shield, as discussed. I'm guessing the prohibition against clerics using magical/mundane arrows also extends to crossbow bolts, right? If so, how much for a sling + lead bullets?

[sblock=Sir Trinibar's figurine on the table] templar_knight_collage_by_surftiki-d47ir95.jpg[/sblock]
While we're at it, P.12 in my version says that you get one language for each point above 10 Int, but the example that follows gives 5 extra languages for 15 int... Which version are we using?

Last edited:

Remove ads