OOC: The Enemy Within, using 4E

Insight

Adventurer
Da boss said no arcane besides Wizards earlier in the thread.

Fine. Swordmage then B-)

We need someone with social skills, right? It sounds like the majority of the Charisma-based classes are banned.

MARTIAL - CHA PRIMARY
None

MARTIAL - CHA SECONDARY
Rogue (Artful Dodger)
Warlord (Inspiring, maybe another)

DIVINE - CHA PRIMARY
None (Maybe Paladin but I think they are banned)

DIVINE - CHA SECONDARY
See above

PRIMAL - CHA PRIMARY
None

PRIMAL - CHA SECONDARY
Barbarian (Thaneborn)

ARCANE - CHA PRIMARY
Bard (Banned)
Sorcerer (Banned)

ARCANE - CHA SECONDARY
Wizard (Deception)

I suppose I could so a Charisma-friendly Rogue - Artful Dodger or maybe an Inspiring Warlord.

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
I don't think paladins were banned. And clerics are CHA secondary (sometimes).

And my dwarf would favor his secondary figther role (or would be even a full striker, if we wait a bit and the fighter/slayer built would be allowed).

BTW, I actually like battlerager fighters using shields. Only chainmail makes the no-shield styles a bit 'squishy'.

Insight

Adventurer
And my dwarf would favor his secondary figther role (or would be even a full striker, if we wait a bit and the fighter/slayer built would be allowed).

BTW, I actually like battlerager fighters using shields. Only chainmail makes the no-shield styles a bit 'squishy'.

The slayer would make sense for a dwarf in Warhammer. No marking (no real defendering at all, to be honest), but a solid striker class.

Dr Simon

Explorer
Whoa, hold your horses there folks!

While the enthusiasm is admirable, I've not formally announced what options are available yet - everything concerning what is and isn't possible is coming from posts from other people.

Regarding dwarf wizards, in fact the 1st Ed of WHFRP does allow them, the difference is that humans and elves get more magic points than dwarves and halflings. There's nothing in the campaign that allowing dwarf wizards will invalidate, and I've got a feeling that not having them will invalidate stuff, so they're allowed.

As for other options, I'll get back to you once I've got a clearer idea, but bear in mind that I've only got PHB1 and 2, and I'm not greatly interested in adding in more options yet, which would feel like walking before I can run.

Also bear in mind that the regiment/troop types from Warhammer the wargame don't necessarily translate into Warhammer the RPG, particularly this campaign that predates a lot of the wargame stuff and comes from a time before White Dwarf was an in-house magazine only. Doesn't mean that they're banned, just that things don't quite work like that.

Walking Dad

First Post
Would you allow powers and other stuff not in the PH1 or 2, if we give a detailed description, like the character sheets they use in L4W?
Sample: Riardon d'Caelis

I only meant the mental image of a big hammer swinging dwarf in heavy armor. Not having to be or been in a specific regiment is a great plus. Sorry if we are a bit eager :blush:

Dr Simon

Explorer
Eager is fine! And yes, I'd be happy to allow other stuff I don't know (subject to approval), but you'll have to give me the details. I have to say Runepriest sounds like an ideal dwarven class, where is that published?

Insight

Adventurer
I thought it might be kinda fun to match up the WFRP starting careers with possible 4E classes. If we're going to run this as a "WFRP to 4E conversion", it might be interesting to pick a WFRP career that most closely models your 4E character.

[sblock=WFRP Careers to 4E Classes]
Note: These are just suggestions. Let me know if I've missed something obvious or if you have an alternate take on one of these.

I've based the 4E class selections on what we know is prohibited (Psionic and Shadow at this point). I'm not listing PHB3 classes, except the Runepriest (which has been discussed already).

Agitator: Bard, Rogue (Cha), or Warlord (Cha)
Apprentice Wizard: Sorcerer, Warlock, or Wizard
Bailiff: Fighter or Warlord (any) (Paladin, maybe?)
Barber-Surgeon: This one is kinda tough. Rogue (Cha) maybe? Warlord (Cha)?
Boatman: Fighter or Rogue (any)
Bodyguard: Fighter (any) (Paladin, maybe?)
Bone Picker: Barbarian or Warden
Bounty Hunter: Ranger or Rogue
Burgher: Bard? Warlord (Int)?
Camp Follower: Any non-spellcaster, really
Charcoal-Burner: see Camp Follower
Coachman: Ranger or Rogue
Entertainer: Bard or Rogue
Envoy: Eladrin or Elf Bard or Rogue (maybe even a Swordmage or spellcaster class)
Estalian Diestro: Fighter or Rogue (Ranger, maybe)
Ferryman: Fighter or Rogue (Brutal)
Fieldwarden: Halfling Ranger or Rogue
Fisherman: Fighter, Rogue, or Warden (maybe?)
Grave Robber: Rogue (I could see Warlock taking this career)
Hedge Wizard: Sorcerer, Warlock, or Wizard
Hunter: Ranger
Initiate: Cleric, Invoker, or Paladin
Jailer: Fighter (possibly Barbarian or Warden)
Kislevite Kossar: Barbarian or Warden
Kithband Warrior: Elf Ranger
Marine: Fighter, Ranger, Rogue, or Warden (possibly Paladin?)
Mercenary: Barbarian, Fighter, Ranger, Rogue, or Warden (possibly Paladin?)
Messenger: Ranger or Rogue (Bard maybe?)
Militiaman: Fighter (Paladin or Warden maybe?)
Miner: Fighter (Warden maybe?)
Noble: Bard or Rogue (possibly other melee classes)
Norse Berserker: Barbarian or Warden
Outlaw: Ranger or Rogue (Barbarian maybe?)
Outrider: Ranger or Rogue
Peasant: Any non-spellcaster, really
Pit Fighter: Barbarian, Fighter, or Warden (Ranger maybe)
Protagonist: Fighter or Rogue (Brutal Scoundrel)
Rat Catcher: Ranger or Rogue (Warlock maybe)
Roadwarden: Ranger (Barbarian or Warden maybe)
Rogue: Rogue (duh)
Runebearer: Dwarf Cleric or Runepriest (Avenger or Invoker maybe)
Scribe: Wizard (maybe?)
Seaman: Fighter or Warden (melee Ranger, maybe?)
Servant: Any non-spellcaster, really
Shieldbreaker: Dwarf Fighter, Paladin or Warden
Smuggler: Rogue (Bard maybe)
Soldier: Fighter (any) (Ranger maybe)
Squire: Fighter or Paladin
Student: Bard or Wizard (maybe)
Thief: Rogue
Thug: Fighter or Rogue (Brutal Scoundrel)
Toll Keeper: Fighter, Paladin, or Warden
Tomb Robber: Rogue (possibly Bard, Ranger, or even Warlock)
Tradesman: Any non-spellcaster, really
Troll Slayer: Dwarf Barbarian or Warden
Vagabond: Barbarian, Ranger, or Warden
Valet: Any non-spellcaster, really
Watchman: Fighter or Ranger (possibly Barbarian or Warden)
Woodsman: Ranger
Zealot: Avenger, Cleric, Invoker, or Paladin

Due to the differences in "magic commonality" between WFRP and 4E, it was hard to find places for certain classes (Avenger, Bard, Invoker, Shaman, and Swordmage, in particular). There are places where you could certainly make an argument for these classes, but for the most part, I've left them out of the above.

These are just the starting careers from the main WFRP book. There are quite a few more starting careers in other WFRP books.
[/sblock]

OOC: .... yes, I was bored

Remove ads