• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OOC Twisted Infinity

Nac Mac Feegle

First Post
Got your e-mail and responded Ashy.

Someone: A brief note for you to consider is that using the rules we have right now it'll take a knowledge check to "know" a creature and change into it. Arcana gets you magical beasts, constructs, and dragons, while The Planes gets you Outsiders and Elementals. With that in mind, you might find it more effective to pick up a different 9th level spell. For a sorcerer I might suggest the spell Shades, because it lets you mimic and 8th level or below conjuration spell with 80% real effects even if a will save is made. That would give you a versatility that most sorcerers can't match.

Wrahn

First Post
Someone said:
Posted first version of background. Also, do you have any problem with the Twin Spell feat?

I am okay with Twinning. According to the description anything that modifies the first spell, modifies the second, so you could not have an acid "Fire"ball and a sonic "Fire"ball in the same twined spell.

Ferrix, I have looked at the Hammer of Moradin and somone was smoking something over at WotC if they think that is a balanced class. It has at least three Marquee abilities (Armor bonus to damage, Will bonus to AC and extra strength bonus to damage) and handful of just cool abilities (Dazing attacks, 6/- DR, Shadow walk, etc). If you want to play this class, I am going to have to tone it down. The epic progression they list is a clear indication that this class is a typo or they are on drugs. (Lowering their hitdice, giving them caster levels, bonus feat every other level)

Oh and Nac, perpare to be hosed. I honestly don't think they took into account the shifter when they made those feats. My ruling is this: Wild shape and greater wildshape are not the same for the purposes of those feats. You can use your one wildshape per day (from your druid level) to use those abilities but Greater Wild Shape doesn't count (sorry)

Last edited:

Someone

Adventurer
Nac Mac Feegle said:
Got your e-mail and responded Ashy.

Someone: A brief note for you to consider is that using the rules we have right now it'll take a knowledge check to "know" a creature and change into it. Arcana gets you magical beasts, constructs, and dragons, while The Planes gets you Outsiders and Elementals. With that in mind, you might find it more effective to pick up a different 9th level spell. For a sorcerer I might suggest the spell Shades, because it lets you mimic and 8th level or below conjuration spell with 80% real effects even if a will save is made. That would give you a versatility that most sorcerers can't match.

I considered that, but I think I´ll stay with shapechange. Outsiders alone are, arguably, the best forms to change into, and nothing beats shapechange in sheer versatility -specially in defense, and I´m a little short of that-

Another option is adquiring a +2 inherent bonus to Int and buy knowledge: dungeoneering, or maybe have it instead of Diplomacy. I´m thinking it doesn´t really fit with the character.

Pyrex

First Post
You might also consider swapping one of your 7th level spells for Limited Wish. 300xp is a pretty low price to pay for a timely Raise Dead or Heal.

Happy Funball

First Post
Someone said:
I considered that, but I think I´ll stay with shapechange. Outsiders alone are, arguably, the best forms to change into, and nothing beats shapechange in sheer versatility -specially in defense, and I´m a little short of that-

Another option is adquiring a +2 inherent bonus to Int and buy knowledge: dungeoneering, or maybe have it instead of Diplomacy. I´m thinking it doesn´t really fit with the character.

Actually, Someone, I would consider going Sorc 6, Incantatrix 10, Archmage 4. Better counterspelling and metamagic goodness, plus I think it would make qualifying for archmage easier. The 3.5 incantatrix is in the Players Guide to Faerun. And I am not sure if you changed it, but you cannot take Spell Power twice as an archmage, IIRC.

Ferrix

Explorer
Wrahn said:
Ferrix, I have looked at the Hammer of Moradin and somone was smoking something over at WotC if they think that is a balanced class. It has at least three Marquee abilities (Armor bonus to damage, Will bonus to AC and extra strength bonus to damage) and handful of just cool abilities (Dazing attacks, 6/- DR, Shadow walk, etc). If you want to play this class, I am going to have to tone it down. The epic progression they list is a clear indication that this class is a typo or they are on drugs. (Lowering their hitdice, giving them caster levels, bonus feat every other level)

You did notice a good number of their abilities are usable rather limitedly. You get one use of the Will to AC per day, their bane ability is once per day (it just gains more things it applies to, and for my character it'd last 1 round cause his charisma mod is a whopping +1), the axiomatic ability likewise will last a whopping 1 round, dazing attacks aren't really that impressive compared to stunning attacks. The armor bonus to damage is only the base armor bonus (that's a +8 usually at most) and doesn't apply for natural armor. Oh yeah, and shadowwalk 1/day at a caster level of 3 ;-). The abilities with warhammers is pretty nice (additional damage, being able to throw it and it return, as well as the line effect) but I didn't find the class that overpowered. Can we atleast try it out and see if it is that wowwing, cause a lot of things seem to come off that way until they get played through (i remember peoples reaction to the monk with their ability every level being overpowered, until they got played and found they weren't so much).

I was more worried about the deepwarden with their d12 hd, full bab, 6sp/lvl and two good saves.

The epic progression in my opinion is really poor design, even going by their own suggestions for epic progression. The DR should have continued to advance considering it has a set advancement rate of 2 every 3 levels, the d10 dropping to d8 should be a typo (no other epic progression changes hit die that i've ever seen), the caster level is a typo (the errata clarifies that they do not get caster level progression). The power strike should have increased by 2 every 5 levels, and maybe a bonus feat every 3 or so levels would have made more sense to me.

Last edited:

Someone

Adventurer
Happy Funball said:
Actually, Someone, I would consider going Sorc 6, Incantatrix 10, Archmage 4. Better counterspelling and metamagic goodness, plus I think it would make qualifying for archmage easier. The 3.5 incantatrix is in the Players Guide to Faerun. And I am not sure if you changed it, but you cannot take Spell Power twice as an archmage, IIRC.

I prefer not take Incantatrix for various reasons, one of them being that I don´t have the PGtF. About the spell power, nothing forbids it (not even the DM), though it was limited in 3.0, where there were several levels of spell power.

Last edited:

Wrahn

First Post
Ferrix-

In a play by post game in general and in my games specifically, combats don't tend to happen that often. So consquently the ability to add somewhere around +12 your AC for one combat a day is kind of a powerful ability. Plus the sheer depth and breadth of the Hammer of Moradin and the good BAB progression and the two good saves. It is just too much (They have 19 abilities for heavens sake, more than the monk in 10 levels)

Tell you what, I have a simple fix in my eyes. Change the BAB progression to average (Cleric/Rogue/Monk progression) and you can play the Hammer of Moradin.

Wrahn

First Post
Oh and Nac, thanks for the notice. With Pyrex being gone over a similar period I think I am going to push the tenative start date back to Sept 10.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads