• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Oots 427

Celebrim

Legend
Quartz said:
Might want to reverse those levels, since we've seen Redcloak threaten to Rebuke Xykon.

I wasn't going to ruin this for you, since you seem to be one of the few that took that scene at face value, but since someone else already responded...

The general assumption by most fans is that
the 'Xykon' Redcloak threatened to rebuke was not the real 'Xykon', but one of the many false 'Xykon' doubles that have been created as part of the plot to bypass Azure cities defenses. Most fans assume that the real Xykon is the one staying behind in the rear force, but I'm inclined to think that given Xykon's actual tactical goal (reaching the throne room), the entire assault on the city is merely a diversion to keep the cities defenders and the OotS occupied while Xykon enters the city by stealth. There is therefore no reason at all why any of the 'Xykons' in the army should be real, and every reason why none of them should be. From Xykon's perspective the army doesn't provide him any significant protection from characters of the level of Roy and such except as a distraction. If the OotS was not motivated to protect the inhabitants of the city, they could easily find a way to wade through (or bypass) the whole horde with relatively little trouble.

In any event, the best evidence that Redcloak is Xykon's cohort is the fact that Xykon trusts Redcloak with his phylactery and so far Redcloak has proven himself completely trust worthy in this regard even when Xykon was completely helpless. If Redcloak was not Xykon's cohort, even if Redcloak was Lawful Evil, you would have expected him to take the oppurtunity to promote himself to head evil overlord. This is especially true if Redcloak was actually much more powerful than Xykon, in which case we'd not expect any lawful evil character to persist in such a submissive role as Redcloak normally takes.

Last edited:

Pbartender

First Post
RedFox said:
I'm just waiting for Xykon to bypass the whole battle setpiece and bamf into the throne room somehow.

I'm also hoping there's a scene with Xykon running across the cell block, and prisoners languishing within...

You know, a lot of people think Xykon's sneaking into the city and into the throne room using the battle outside as a distraction. That whole idea's been bugging me, and I finally realized why...

"The only reason you and I aren't sneaking in and grabbing the stupid thing is that it can't be moved, and they're likely to get upset if we loiter in their throne room for the few weeks it will take to complete the rituals."

So unless the battle is a good enough distraction to keep everyone in Azure City out of the throne room for a month, I don't think that's really the plan.

Balgus

First Post
Celebrim said:
If Redcloak was not Xykon's cohort, even if Redcloak was Lawful Evil, you would have expected him to take the oppurtunity to promote himself to head evil overlord. This is especially true if Redcloak was actually much more powerful than Xykon, in which case we'd not expect any lawful evil character to persist in such a submissive role as Redcloak normally takes.
Unless he is planning somethng larger than Xykon. If Redcloak is biding his time to carry out his master plan - whatever it is - and staying low on the OOTS radar, while leting Xykon take ALL the heat and taking all the blame, while he pulls the strings form behind and if things turn sour - he has the trump card of "i was just following orders"

But that is neither here nor there...

Drowbane

First Post
silvermane said:
Are you suggesting that all D&D characters are female? Because that's what they are apparently referred to as in WotC books (and most 3rd party books).

"She" can be used to mean "he or she" just as "he" can (and is equally sexist, some argue). The usage is rather American than British and is not widespread, but it persists despite the strangeness.

Its not common usage in America either.

Last edited:

Fifth Element said:
She? That's rather presumptuous isn't it?
Actually, before I found out V was gender ambiguous I assumed V was a she. So if I'm not paying close attention, I subconsciously use females pronoun to refer to V.

Quartz

Hero
Celebrim said:
In any event, the best evidence that Redcloak is Xykon's cohort is the fact that Xykon trusts Redcloak with his phylactery
Contrariwise, this could also be the best indicator that Xykon is Redcloak's servant. You've got to obey the guy who holds your phylactery, right?

But I happen to agree with your analysis of the fake double.

Musrum

First Post
Drowbane said:
Its not common usage in America either.
I understood that WotC uses the gender pronoun that is appropriate to iconic character associated with the class in question. Thus a Sorceror is a he (Hennet) and a Wizard is a she (Mialee).

VirgilCaine

First Post
jmucchiello said:
To my eyes, the enlarge person was a bit generous on the enlarging. In the 7-9th panels the troops are half the height of the breech. After enlarging they are taller than the breech. I think V's mass enlarge person can make medium humanoids huge. Not to mention she affected 13 troops who look kinda spread out yet it should only affect targets within 30 feet of each other.

Or it's all just artistic license.

That's what I said. They're too big.

Pbartender

First Post
Musrum said:
I understood that WotC uses the gender pronoun that is appropriate to iconic character associated with the class in question. Thus a Sorceror is a he (Hennet) and a Wizard is a she (Mialee).

As far as it goes, the class ability descriptions in the SRD support that.

When there is no specific class mentioned, as in wording for feats, spells and combat rules, they simply give equal time to both pronouns, regardless of reference.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads