• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Oots 427

Sarellion

Explorer
Balgus said:
Unless he is planning somethng larger than Xykon. If Redcloak is biding his time to carry out his master plan - whatever it is - and staying low on the OOTS radar, while leting Xykon take ALL the heat and taking all the blame, while he pulls the strings form behind and if things turn sour - he has the trump card of "i was just following orders"

But that is neither here nor there...

Who cares? He is still a goblin and I don´t think goblins in the setting are arrested and get a fair trial. And "Just following orders" will not always free you of all responsibilty for your deeds.

silvermane said:
Are you suggesting that all D&D characters are female? Because that's what they are apparently referred to as in WotC books (and most 3rd party books).

"She" can be used to mean "he or she" just as "he" can (and is equally sexist, some argue). The usage is rather American than British and is not widespread, but it persists despite the strangeness.

Of course, in this case "she" was used to refer to a specific person, V.

WotC generally does a decent job of alternating between "he" and "she", and once you get used to it you don't even notice it.

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
I think the best gender-neutral pronoun is "they", and historically English backs me up, damn it.

If it's Good Enough For Shakespeare (tm) . . .

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Since nobody else has mentioned it....

OK, V is 13th level. So what 7th level spell has he got prepared, eh?

If he is fairly typical of wizards, she probably chose two 7th level spells to go into the spellbook upon reaching 13th level (may have had access to others too).

So what 7th level spell do *you* think he has prepared? Limited Wish?

Plane Sailing said:
Since nobody else has mentioned it....

OK, V is 13th level. So what 7th level spell has he got prepared, eh?

If he is fairly typical of wizards, she probably chose two 7th level spells to go into the spellbook upon reaching 13th level (may have had access to others too).

So what 7th level spell do *you* think he has prepared? Limited Wish?

Mass Hold Person and Control Undead would be useful, but it's hard to ignore the comedic potential in Delayed Blast Fireball and Reverse Gravity.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
Control Undead

You jest!

I don't suppose you've checked the difference between Command Undead and Control undead recently?

Especially when used against giant zombies, the difference is laughable! You'd think that they got the 'level' specifier of these spells the wrong way round, wouldn't you...

Control Undead
Necromancy
Level: Sor/Wiz 7
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Targets: Up to 2 HD/level of undead creatures, no two of which can be more than 30 ft. apart
Duration: 1 min./level
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell enables you to command undead creatures for a short period of time. You command them by voice and they understand you, no matter what language you speak. Even if vocal communication is impossible the controlled undead do not attack you. At the end of the spell, the subjects revert to their normal behavior.

Intelligent undead creatures remember that you controlled them.

Command Undead
Necromancy
Level: Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Targets: One undead creature
Duration: One day/level
Saving Throw: Will negates; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell allows you some degree of control over an undead creature. Assuming the subject is intelligent, it perceives your words and actions in the most favorable way (treat its attitude as friendly). It will not attack you while the spell lasts. You can try to give the subject orders, but you must win an opposed Charisma check to convince it to do anything it wouldn’t ordinarily do. (Retries are not allowed.) An intelligent commanded undead never obeys suicidal or obviously harmful orders, but it might be convinced that something very dangerous is worth doing.

A nonintelligent undead creature gets no saving throw against this spell. When you control a mindless being, you can communicate only basic commands, such as “come here,” “go there,” “fight,” “stand still,” and so on. Nonintelligent undead won’t resist suicidal or obviously harmful orders.

Any act by you or your apparent allies that threatens the commanded undead (regardless of its Intelligence) breaks the spell.

Your commands are not telepathic. The undead creature must be able to hear you.

Voadam

Legend
Plane Sailing said:
You jest!

I don't suppose you've checked the difference between Command Undead and Control undead recently?

Especially when used against giant zombies, the difference is laughable! You'd think that they got the 'level' specifier of these spells the wrong way round, wouldn't you...

On this battlefield taking immediate control of 13 hobgoblin zombies similar to a dominate pserson spell would probably be better than 1 ghoul under a charm person effect. But I don't think either will do much good with the mass battle.

My 16th level Eldritch Knight actually took control undead as one of his 7th level wizard spells because he wanted to take command of a specific enemy mummy NPC to learn some plot history. I hadn't been really aware of the 2nd level one though. Good to know, thanks.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads