• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OotS 666

But we could be more then halfway done. :( And that would mean we're getting the short end of the Stick.

Oh, I expect that we're more than halfway done. I seem to recall Rich suggesting that he was planning for five or six books'-worth, and so far we've had three. (Not counting the prequels.)

And I'm okay with that. All the best stories in fiction have set end points. I'd hate to see it run too long. (Not that I think it's anywhere in danger of that yet, mind you.)

Orius

Legend
Also note, this was strip #666 and there were many, including me, that thought this would be a strip that included the fiends and possibly the soul-splice.

And I said Rich would do nothing special to mess with all your heads, so:

[size=+2]Nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah![/size]

[size=-2](I'd post link to the posts too, but I don't want to rub it in THAT much.)[/size]

;)

The panel with Belkar and O-Chul was cool. And Belkar should be very, very afraid of O-Chul.

CharlesRyan

Adventurer
So this is the first reference to this deadline, right? The seven weeks thing is new?

The first thing I thought was "hmm, Gen Con is in seven weeks . . ." Maybe this is a result of expecting some big reveal or plot turn in episode 666, but I now find myself wondering if Rich is going to time the next big reveal or plot turn (or climax) with Gen Con.

mhensley

First Post
The first thing I thought was "hmm, Gen Con is in seven weeks . . ." Maybe this is a result of expecting some big reveal or plot turn in episode 666, but I now find myself wondering if Rich is going to time the next big reveal or plot turn (or climax) with Gen Con.

He'd be smart to have his next book available at Gen Con.

Dausuul

Legend
So this is the first reference to this deadline, right? The seven weeks thing is new?

Probably not. Rich Burlew is clearly wrapping up Book 4 here; everything points that way, right down to Roy and Haley sitting side by side to watch the sun set. I can't imagine Rich dragging out this "coda segment" for another seven weeks. And if he takes a break after finishing up Book 4, which I expect he will, and then sticks to his usual pace of posting (slightly less than 2 per week on average), we won't be more than 10 strips into Book 5 by Gen Con.

Besides, Gen Con is a terrible time to do big plot events. A chunk of Rich's target audience will be off at the convention, with other things to do than read OotS, and he'd be competing with the big setting announcement and the Dragonlance 25th anniversary festivities.

Oh, I expect that we're more than halfway done. I seem to recall Rich suggesting that he was planning for five or six books'-worth, and so far we've had three. (Not counting the prequels.)

And I'm okay with that. All the best stories in fiction have set end points. I'd hate to see it run too long. (Not that I think it's anywhere in danger of that yet, mind you.)
I wish I could remember the exact quote, but at a Gen Con panel a couple years back when asked how long it will take to tell the story he did say something to the effect of "it could run a thousand strips."

Klaus

First Post

My totally random guess is OotS will end with #1000.

RedBeardJim

First Post
I wish I could remember the exact quote, but at a Gen Con panel a couple years back when asked how long it will take to tell the story he did say something to the effect of "it could run a thousand strips."

And going from #666 to #1000 could *easily* take up seven weeks of in-strip time.

Remove ads