D&D 5E Opinion poll: Once D&D Next is out, how do you think it will do? (based on what we have so far)

How do you think D&D Next will do once it's out? (based on the knowledge we have so far)

• D&D Next will be absolute success and regain the title of top RPG. :)

Votes: 45 36.3%
  • D&D Next will flop and be a disappointment to players and DMs alike. :(

Votes: 16 12.9%
  • D&D Next will be an average game that will quietly take it's place among the other RPGs. :I

Votes: 63 50.8%

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
But Paizo cannot keep releasing the same books again and again. He meant books will be getting more and more specific. Maybe players like to know there is a source book carefully detailing a small and far away area of Golarion, but not as many people will buy that book, most people buy a few books they feel are the most important. Then Paizo will be making less money from what they publish, and as understanding and nice to the hobby and the gamers as they are (no sarcasm here), things will have to change.

Paizo isn't expecting to make loads of bucks like WoTc. Heavy Pathfinder fans are not the same as heavy D&D fans. This is what Paizo has hit on and it's worked for them. WoTc tries to tell it's people when they are ready for a new edition while Paizo does not. Paizo seems to be working under the impression that if it works then it doesn't need to be fixed. Another one of their big success stories is the Pathfinder Society. It's living Golarion that caters to a lot of players and is always coming out with new adventures. I'm sure they look at their figures on a regular basis and if the numbers don't seem to fall drastically then they assume what they are doing is working and go with it until those numbers do fall.

Ermm. You know that can't last forever, right? That the market for Bestiary #42: Flumphs & Their Friends will be minimal at best? Paizo are great, but if you're expecting them to be perpetually immune to the need for a new edition, you're going to be soul-crushingly disappointed one day.
But there's more than one way to release a new edition.
While in recent years new editions have become synonymous with huge sweeping changes many other games have hard farm more editions with far fewer changes.

It'd be possible for Pathfinder to move to a Revised Edition where they keep the same basic design of classes, races, spells and the like but just streamline the numbers, refine the options, and tweak the balance a little more.
Refine the game so you can almost upgrade or use old content with minor changes.

dd.stevenson

Super KY
FWIW, I strongly expect Paizo to respond to the inevitable slump in rulebook sales by continuing to diversify out of the TTRPG market. For my money, we'll see them update to a new edition only when they deem it's the best thing for their whole Golarion franchise. And I doubt they'll ever decide it's in their best interests to make a huge change in the game, a la 2-->3 or 3-->4.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
(snip) If given the choice between:

$10 mill / $5 mill / $ 2 mill / $1 mill / $500K (Years 1 to 5 of one line - $18.5 million total)

versus

$3 mill / $3 mill / $3 mill / $3 mill / $3 mill (new line each year - $15 million total)

Most companies I think would prefer the second option.

You don't mean most companies.

You mean companies (and therefore people) who have no grasp of the time value of money.

sunshadow21

Explorer
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by DEFCON 1
(snip) If given the choice between:

$10 mill / $5 mill / $ 2 mill / $1 mill / $500K (Years 1 to 5 of one line - $18.5 million total)

versus

$3 mill / $3 mill / $3 mill / $3 mill / $3 mill (new line each year - $15 million total)

Most companies I think would prefer the second option.
-----------------

You don't mean most companies.

You mean companies (and therefore people) who have no grasp of the time value of money.

Most people who prefer the first don't have any concept of money at all. They think that it will always be there, and seem surprised when suddenly it's not.

Personally, though, I think most companies would prefer something in the middle. Something like 6 mil, 4 mil, 3 mil, 3 mil, 3 mil, etc. That gives a good solid first impression to build upon for future products, but avoids a massive unpredictable spike.

ren1999

First Post
I'm thrilled with the Extra Attack that so many classes get. I also like moving between attacks. Thank you for compromising.

I hope that the dashes, dead levels, are addressed by putting something in there.

I'm happy with the way spells are going. I just wish that they didn't do half damage automatically. There should be a way to reduce the damage within 10 points automatically so that characters aren't automatically killed.

I always thought feats should be skills that allow martial classes to be as interesting as spell classes. I don't know why it is now optional and there are so few. We really had a good list of interesting feats going there for awhile.

All in all, we need a D&D online web cast or broadcast like Comic Book Men but instead of comics, the people on the show play D&D5.

NilesB

First Post
Because of D&D's high sales expectations I suspect that the second and third options on this poll will be nearly indistinguishable to an outside viewer. A certain amount of panicked flailing about and a quick end to the edition. selling as much as Pathfinder did at it's peak (whenever that peak was) is not enough.

Remove ads