Order of the Bow Initiate - quick question

MerakSpielman

First Post
This is a somewhat vague question... but one of my players is asking me via email if he can take a level in this PrC, but I'm not familiar with it. He's currently a 5th level fighter (can a 5th level fighter qualify for this PrC?), twinked out for archery. Already his damage potential per round is getting scary compared to the other players, who aren't really min-maxers at all.

So tell me about the Order of the Bow Initiate. Is it generally considered overpowered? How much will levels in OotBI increase his damage potential per round, as compared to if he just kept taking levels of fighter? Are there cool and interesting special features I should be aware of?

I wouldn't normally permit a PrC I've never read, but I also insist they have their new character sheet ready before the game, so I don't want to deal with this before the game starts next time. He just got the book that has this PrC in it, and it seems to fit his original character concept...

JimAde

First Post
OOTBI is in Complete Warrior. I haven't used it in my game yet, though I will be encouraging one of my PCs to enter it next level.

One requirement of the class as written (which I am dropping) is Elf or Half-elf race. I don't have my books with me, but I think a 5th or 6th-level character specialized in archery would qualify (the requirements are BAB +5 or so and some bow-related feats in addition to race).

As I remember, the main perks of the class are more damage (which the PC in my group desperately needs, but YMMV) and at higher level the ability to fire a bow without provoking AoO.

My players are NOT min-maxers and I always have to steer them toward power-ups (which is cool for me) so it's hard to say how it would play in your game, but I think the class itself is fine.

Laman Stahros

First Post
Sorry, Jim, but OotBI is not race restricted.

Merak, here is the prereqs:

Base Attack Bonus: +5
Craft (bowmaking) 5 ranks, Knowledge (religion) 2 ranks
Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Rapid Shot, Weapon Focus (any bow)

At every odd level, they gain an extra 1d8 damage (+5d8 at 9th!) when firing at a target within 30 feet, so if you think he is outdamaging the rest as is, this prestige class is going to it worse. That said, if you mix up the ranges (long and short) in your encounters, and are careful, it shouldn't be to bad. Just remember, enemies will see him as a major threat and act accordingly. Have fun!

Wish

First Post
There is no requirement that one be and elf to take the class. Yes, a 5th level fighter could qualify. No, it's not generally considered an overpowered class. The main benefits are extra damage at close range when firing only a single shot (doesn't count when making a full attack), and the ability to fire a bow without provoking an attack of opportunity. Secondary benefits are shoring up will and ref saves, at the cost of hp (lower hit die) and fort saves.

Compared to more fighter levels it means he'll have fewer feats for things like Improved Critical and Improved Precise Shot, and he won't qualify for Greater Weapon Specialization.

As for damage compared to the rest of the party - he's a fighter. He should be outdamaging anybody but the other fighters and barbarians. Unfortunately, he'll eventually find that damage from archery doesn't keep up at higher levels. Lack of ability to use power attack hurts a lot.

My suggestion - ask your player to prepare two character sheets, one with the class allowed and one without, then look it over before your next session. That way you don't need to hold up the game while he updates his sheet, you just need to spend a couple minutes reading a page or so of text and decide which sheet he gets to use.

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
IIRC, the OotBI's damage bonue only functions if you make 1 attack, so no rapid shot/iteratives. Might cripple a twinked archer something awful.

atom crash

First Post
The only character in my game with any levels in a PrC is an Order of the Bow Initiate. The requirements for entry are a +5 BAB, 5 ranks of Craft (bowmaking), 2 ranks of knowledge (religion), Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Rapid Shot and Weapon Focus with a bow. There's no racial restriction.

The BAB progression of the OOTBI is +1 per level and the save progression is decent, but no better than the ranger.

At first level they gain an ability called ranged precision. This allows them to add precision damage to a single ranged attack within 30 feet at the cost of a standard action. It stacks with sneak attack damage where sneak attack is applicable. Like other precision damage, it doesn't work against creatures immune to critical hits.

The trade-off here is one arrow that does more damage rather than multiple shots, so the damage output is balanced. This precision damage increases at 3rd, 5th, 7th and 9th levels, but it's always with a single attack.

At second level the OOTBI gains the close combat shot ability. This allows them to make ranged attacks from a threatened square without provoking attacks of opportunity.

At higher levels the OOTBI gains Greater Weapon Focus with their bow and then the Sharpshooting feat (reduces cover bonus to target's AC from +4 to +2). At 10th level, the OOTBI gets extended precision, which increases the ranged precision to 60 feet.

I find the OOTBI fairly well balanced, since the biggest benefit of the class limits the character to a single arrow per round.

JimAde

First Post
Laman Stahros said:
Sorry, Jim, but OotBI is not race restricted.

That's what I get for trying to do this from memory! :lol:

I guess I was mixing it up with Arcane Archer in my head. Thanks for the correction, everybody.

atom crash

First Post
I guess I was mixing it up with Arcane Archer in my head. Thanks for the correction, everybody.

It's an easy mix-up to make. And it's a shame that the Arcane Archer and Darkwood Stalker -- IMO two of the better archery-focus PrCs -- both have the half-elf/elf racial restriction. Humans get no love. ;)

silentspace

First Post
John Q. Mayhem said:
IIRC, the OotBI's damage bonue only functions if you make 1 attack, so no rapid shot/iteratives. Might cripple a twinked archer something awful.

Also it is a standard action to use it, so it can't be used with Shot on the Run. And its a single shot, so obviously it can't be used with Manyshot either. :)

Unless you're playing a 3.0 game, and using the old version of the PrC, it's definitely not overpowered.

Remove ads