Order of the Stick: How long will they put up with Miko?

Last OotS really made me think, how long will they still put up with her after what she just did?

They've put up with being nominally her captives after their initial meeting and the misunderstanding about them being evil (well, except for Belkar). They've put up with a lot of attitude from her. Belkar was about a half-second from rolling initiative and getting into a fight that would have ended with Miko's head on a pike (remember the only reason she didn't die in the initial confrontation early on was pure luck that was mistaken for divine intervention).

I realized I've never seen a Paladin played to be as much of an egotistical, condescending, downright jerk, a person who is as much a nemesis to the party as the lich they are fighting. Angrily chastising the OotS over their "unmitigated greed" of daring to sleep in an inn instead of a muddy ditch, showing contempt and scorn for Haley and her aphasia instead of compassion, and she speech about "tainted" treasure taken from monsters. In almost any campaign I could think of, in a scene like what happened in the last strip, there would be a showdown with her, where she would either be gone, or dead, very soon. Paladin or not, PC's tend not to put up with that attitude and being Lawful Good doesn't always mean you are right. She would be given the option to leave, or die, but adventuring with her isn't much of an option after that little bit of attitude from the pompous twit of a Monk/Paladin "Samurai".

Then it hit me, this is what all those Paladin threads are all about. Those threads that crop up way too often where a Paladin is more of a problem to the party than the villains, or how do you deal with a Paladin since they complicate the game so much. If Miko is supposed to be a railroading NPC plot-hook (or worse, DM-PC), it's the sort of things players dread big-time, and the sort of thing people start long threads about, especially if it's an infinitely uptight Paladin with their sense of humor having been permanently removed. If Miko is supposed to be a new player joining the game after the creation of the OotS and doing a dismally poor job of fitting in (or the GM worked her into the campaign poorly), that's the sort of player the rest gossip about between sessions and may well gang up on or tell off at some point, and the new player quits.

Maybe I'm just lucky that when I've played a Paladin or been in a campaign with a Paladin, they never act a thing like this. I guess you never hear about the times when it goes well though, just when it fails spectacularly.

LordAnki

First Post
Well, personally I don't think much longer after what Roy said to her in todays strip. I think that they will get rid of her soon enough.

JustKim

First Post
Crothian said:
Miko isn't even that bad, I think they are over reacting and having the usually player character hubris.
I agree, Roy's line felt like one of those movie moments where the director is trying to get the audience to applaud something that's really kind of awful. It turned me off to the character a bit.

Wormwood

Adventurer
JustKim said:
I agree, Roy's line felt like one of those movie moments where the director is trying to get the audience to applaud something that's really kind of awful. It turned me off to the character a bit.

I was too busy applauding to notice.

Testament

First Post
Crothian said:
Miko isn't even that bad, I think they are over reacting and having the usually player character hubris.

This is incomprehensible to me. She's pompous, overbearing, self-righteous and downright nasty. She treats them abominably, lecturing them at every opportunity, and if I was Roy in that situation I wouldn't have been holding Belkar back.

Xath

Moder-gator
I love Roy and I always have. Most people that I've talked to don't have him as their favorite because he's the "straight man." But today he got a shining moment, and it's something I've been waiting to hear for a long time.

At the last Gencon Oots panel, Rich said that some of the standard characters would be leaving and new characters would come in. When Miko was introduced, I thought she was a new "standard cast member." Even after today, I'm not entirely convinced that she's going anywhere. She may be an overbearing prick, but if any group is going to change her it will be the oots.

painandgreed

First Post
She's not really playing up any sort of Charisma there and generally getting a negative reaction from everybody who are only going along with her because she does have a good cause and they are good. I still suspect they'll make it to wherever they're going before things go to pot and they have to fight their way out.

Remove ads