Order your Star Wars films

Hussar

Legend
It was also bad there. There's a reason. TPM is regarded as bad.
He wasn't busting out force powers either.

Regard it as bad all you like, but, it's still canon. You cannot bitch on one hand that Rey is not following canon and then ignore the actual canon of the story. If the Force can allow a child to defeat highly trained pilots and racers, then, well, fighting a heavily wounded Kylo Ren to a draw doesn't seem like a stretch, does it?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Current ordering:

IV, V, VI, R1, IX, VII, VIII, S, III, I, II

VII and IX might swap places, as they're very close, but I can't tell this soon after IX.

Zardnaar

Legend
Regard it as bad all you like, but, it's still canon. You cannot bitch on one hand that Rey is not following canon and then ignore the actual canon of the story. If the Force can allow a child to defeat highly trained pilots and racers, then, well, fighting a heavily wounded Kylo Ren to a draw doesn't seem like a stretch, does it?

It's not that she was busting out force powers untrained. I'm not claiming it's not canon it's poor storytelling contradicting the training in the prequels.

It's harder to connect with her as a character because she's so good. There's no drama and it's entirely predictable.

Also same movies that whole Jedi/With training thing. Needs to be internally consistent.
Also Anakin is the chosen one;)

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Revised list, post episode IX-
Edit: Actually, I try to add a little more granularity here:

Tier 1a (Cream of the Crop) - Empire Strikes Back, The Last Jedi
Tier 1b (Objectively Not As Good As 1a But My Inner Child Still Loves The Most) - Return of the Jedi
Tier 2a (Still Very, Very Good) - A New Hope
Tier 2b (Solid, Fun Star Wars Flicks) - The Force Awakens, Rise of Skywalker

From here is a substantial gap, then each movie gets its own tier:
Tier 3 (Fine, Just Fine, Really)- Solo
Tier 4 (First 50% Garbage, Last 50% WOW, so solidly in the middle I guess) - Rogue One
Tier 5 (At Least Mostly Works On Its Own Terms: "You Know, For Kids!") - The Phantom Menace
Tier 6 (Way Worse Than You Remember It Being) - Revenge of the Sith
Tier 7 (Trash Compacter) - Attack of the Clones

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Having just re-watched Last Jedi, and hating the stupidity of nearly every character, I am amused by how much people like that movie. It had great moments for sure, but the stupid burned my brain......and no, I'm not trying to convince anyone they are wrong, it's just one person's opinion.....

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I love the premise of TLJ and wish they'd taken it further. It reminded me of "33 Minutes" (or whatever the BSG opener was). A relentless pursuit for the whole movie; just one chase lasting a few hours or days.Staying with the chase, and the drama of that as the rebels got slowly picked off. No Canto Blight, etc. More Duel. As the middle film in the trilogy being just that chase would have been an awesome bit of drama. Dark, lots of character work, a really simple premise/plot.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
So, I will take a stab at this. Let me first start by saying that TLJ isn't perfect- no movie is. And when people talk about "the stupid," they aren't entirely wrong. A major requirement of any movie (or, for that matter, fiction) is the suspension of disbelief. I would say that this is even more important in fantasy/scifi, because if it is lost, you go from "Cool/Awesome" to "Stupid/Ridiculous" really quick.

This, however, applies to any movie- not just TLJ, but ESB, or ANH ... that's why, for example, people have issues about "nitpicking" things in TLJ when the same issues aren't raised for the earlier movies (a common explanation for that, in my opinion, is that many people who complain about TLJ watched the earlier movies when they were younger ....)

But moving on from that particular issue, why do some people (such as me) like TLJ so very much? Well, it's for precisely the same reason that some people don't like it so much. Once you move beyond the things that people can agree on (it is well-directed and the cinematography is gorgeous), the very purpose of TLJ can be polarizing in some ways- it is, for all practical purposes, the heir of ESB. Because it interrogates what it means to be a Star Wars fan, what it means to love these movies, and allowed for new possibilities ... not by slavishly recreating a formula, but by purposefully breaking with it.

To use one of so very many examples, do you know what was shocking in ESB? That Luke was the son of Vader. It is a terrible cliche now, but at the time? WOAH! So how do you shock audiences now? By having the protagonist ... not be related to the big bad.* I know, shocker! But that was a bold choice- in just the same way that Kasdan boldly made choices for ESB.

And that's why people like me love that film. Because, for one film, it looked like Star Wars was opening up to new possibilities.

*Sigh. Oh well.
None of that addresses the stupid by otherwise smart characters and script.

if you can destroy ships by flying thru them at light speed, that's all anyone would do. And all that technology, and they can't fly remotely? We can fly planes remotely now.... You are a great leader/general, and you tell no one your plan? What if you die? And all of that is in the last few minutes ....

I loved Luke as an image. Great Jedi trick. I loved that in that movie it is implied she is no one, and we don't learn about Snoke. But again, none of that is about the stupid. And, I agree with Luke, the story of force users is that their hubris is their downfall.

Remove ads