Order your Star Wars films

Vael

Legend
None of that addresses the stupid by otherwise smart characters and script.

if you can destroy ships by flying thru them at light speed, that's all anyone would do. And all that technology, and they can't fly remotely? We can fly planes remotely now.... You are a great leader/general, and you tell no one your plan? What if you die? And all of that is in the last few minutes ....

I find it amusing that fans are willing to tie themselves in knots to explain Han Solo using Parsecs and yet just throw up their hands in disgust at TLJ.

Lightspeed Ramming:

First, the movie itself justifies it. Hux could've shifted fire to the Cruiser, his own hubris gave Holdo the time to line up her shot. Second, it had to be a precise hit, while the Cruiser was still accelerating to light speed, not once you're in hyperspace. Finally, about remote-control ... if the tech was available, you'd have drones, not manned fighters. So if you'd rather have had Luke flying a simulator and remote piloting his X-Wing at Yavin, be my guest. After all, it was a fun scene in Guardians of the Galaxy 2.

Holdo:

She was quite justified in maintaining operational security. We know, from Rose, that Resistance crew were trying to jump ship. I don't think "we're gonna hide out on a planet while they chase our doomed flagship" is necessarily going to improve morale. And if that got out, and someone did cut and run and got caught ... none of them would've made it.

pukunui

Legend
I think Hux has the saddest arc in the trilogy.

He starts off as a zealous leader who is every bit Ren’s equal in TFA.

He is then reduced to unwitting comic relief by Poe before being forced to play second fiddle to Ren in TLJ.

And finally he is rendered a bit player by that Pryde guy, who seemingly comes out of nowhere to take over in ROS, and is given nothing to do but make a stupidly suicidal attempt to one-up Ren.

Sad.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Lightspeed Ramming:

First, the movie itself justifies it. Hux could've shifted fire to the Cruiser, his own hubris gave Holdo the time to line up her shot. Second, it had to be a precise hit, while the Cruiser was still accelerating to light speed, not once you're in hyperspace. Finally, about remote-control ... if the tech was available, you'd have drones, not manned fighters. So if you'd rather have had Luke flying a simulator and remote piloting his X-Wing at Yavin, be my guest. After all, it was a fun scene in Guardians of the Galaxy 2.

And hey Harrison Ford is always around to ask how well audiences took to Ender's Game.

Holdo:

She was quite justified in maintaining operational security. We know, from Rose, that Resistance crew were trying to jump ship. I don't think "we're gonna hide out on a planet while they chase our doomed flagship" is necessarily going to improve morale. And if that got out, and someone did cut and run and got caught ... none of them would've made it.

B-b-b-but she definitely should have told the hot-headed a-hole who just got demoted for defying orders! To not do otherwise would be stupid. Couldn't she see the camera hovering around him and the big neon "protagonist" sign we was wearing?

Something something, pink hair

Last edited:

pukunui

Legend
And hey Harrison Ford is always around to ask how well audiences took to Ender's Game.
Even those weren’t remotely-piloted drones. They were crewed starships that were being remotely commanded.

The only thing I don’t get about Holdo is why she was dressed like she was going to Canto Bight instead of commanding a fleet of soldiers.

Gradine

The only thing I don’t get about Holdo is why she was dressed like she was going to Canto Bight instead of commanding a fleet of soldiers.

I assumed they were going for Mon Mothma vibes?

I imagine some new EU book is eventually going to go into way to much detail trying to explain her backstory and sense of style, at least if the new EU is anything like the old EU.

pukunui

Legend
I assumed they were going for Mon Mothma vibes?
Possibly, except Mon Mothma wasn’t a military leader. She was a politician.

I imagine some new EU book is eventually going to go into way to much detail trying to explain her backstory and sense of style, at least if the new EU is anything like the old EU.
The TLJ visual dictionary has already established that her beavers are designed to show the constellations of her home planet or something.

Zaukrie

New Publisher

B-b-b-but she definitely should have told the hot-headed a-hole who just got demoted for defying orders! To not do otherwise would be stupid. Couldn't she see the camera hovering around him and the big neon "protagonist" sign we was wearing?

Something something, pink hair
I mean, if that rant about her hair and style is aimed at me, you are shooting at the wrong person. And somehow she says that she likes the hothead, which I don't get. But that could be me not getting it.

Again, literally not trying to change minds, and kind of don't like people assuming the worst, rather than just having a conversation about things we actually post... I'll bow out now, as once again emotions are taking over posting here. Rather than just having a good conversation.

Gradine

I mean, if that rant about her hair and style is aimed at me, you are shooting at the wrong person. And somehow she says that she likes the hothead, which I don't get. But that could be me not getting it.

Apologies that I gave you impression that I was targeting you; my targets here were many and not particularly specific.

pukunui

Legend
I mean, so says the old EU, but she was pretty clearly leading a meeting about what was pretty clearly a military operation
I wasn’t referring to the EU. She’s a Republic senator in the Clone Wars cartoon and in a deleted scene from one of the prequels (III, I think).

Remove ads