Order your Star Wars films

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Just watched A New Hope..... It's not just nostalgia that makes it good. There's a good story, that isn't yelled at you like the prequels. In some ways, we are lucky Lucas didn't have more technology to work with.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Just watched A New Hope..... It's not just nostalgia that makes it good. There's a good story, that isn't yelled at you like the prequels. In some ways, we are lucky Lucas didn't have more technology to work with.

He and his team were still inventing much of the technology and infrastructure for A New Hope.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Apparently you don't even need a driver's license to join the Empire.

It's not far off conscription. I wouldn't be surprised if there were press gangs, too. Historically, getting into the military wasn't difficult. Getting out was!

Vael

Legend
Speaking as someone who couldn’t quite stomach Solo, I think the dislike for me stems from having someone besides Harrison Ford play Han Solo. I couldn’t buy him as the same character.

Huh. I disliked the movie, a lot, but Alden Ehrenreich's young Han Solo is not a problem for me.

Admittedly, my initial experience soured my impression on the movie. The opening chase scene was so dark, I couldn't see what was going on, and I was so annoyed by that that when the Imperial officer called him "Solo", the movie had forever lost me, I nearly walked out.

The other major issue is the whole problematic plotline involving L3-37. The sentience level of Droids and whether or not they're slaves is one of those things that I believe is best left unexamined. Just don't go there. Solo goes there, and then plays it off for a cheap laugh.

Then there's all the minor annoyances, like that the movie is just here to explain every bit of Han Solo's wiki page (including why he calls Chewbacca "Chewie", one of the most annoying lines it deserves as much contempt as the line about hating sand), you get the fabulous Thandi Newton and blow her up minutes later, useless and confusing Darth Maul cameo, and there's not nearly enough Lando.

The other reason I don't mind Alden Ehrenreich's young Han Solo is that I'm not precious about actors and roles, I remember hearing the same thing back in 2009 when the Star Trek reboot movie came out. "You can't recast Kirk or Spock or any of the others", said many a fan, even I was ... apprehensive. And, that movie, for all its flaws, casting was not one of them. I fully expect to see a remake of the original Star Wars on day, with a new cast.

Which leads to another question, nearly everyone has put Star Wars as their favourite ... but which one?

Star Wars - the original theatrical release (without even the Episode 4 subtitle)
Star Wars Special Edition - with Jabba and Han shooting first.
The Blue Ray version - which has more changes, but I can't remember them.
Apparently the version up on Disney+ has even more changes.

Zardnaar

Legend
Heh not to many have rated

Clone Wars animated
Ewoks Battle for Endor
Ewoks Caravan of Courage.

Clone Wars animated goes below AotC can't rate the other 2 fairly it's been to long.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
Oh, and the Genndy Tartakovsky Clone Wars, I loved that. Or are we only talking about feature length cartoons?

Remove ads