Order your Star Wars films

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/they)
So I've been giving this a lot of thought. Too much, probably, but it's well past time. I'm getting an early start on my New Year's resolutions this year.

I love Star Wars. I love every part of it, from it's silly new age mysticism and flagrant disregard for any and all laws of physics, to it's hella sweet laser swords and star fighter laser battles pew pew pew pew. I love the broad, arch characters, the batcrap insane world building, and the slavish adherence to the discredited nonsense theories of Joseph Campbell. I love its deconstructions and its reconstructions. Hell, even the prequels aren't without their moments. Yes, even Attack of the Clones. Star Wars makes me feel like a kid again in a way nothing else ever does or ever will.

You know what I hate? You don't know what I'm OVER? The "discourse". I'm beyond exhausted by it. I hate how it's been dominated by bad faith "fanboys" and their disastrous agenda that stands in sharp contrast to everything Star Wars has ever stood for. I'm beyond tired of gifting my time and energy to sealions who can't be bothered to address facts that contradict them, because the argument has never been the point. They are psychic vampires and I'm done letting them exhaust me.

I know this is considered bad form here, but I think it's important for me to take about. I've never used the ignore feature on this board before. In all the threads about race or gender or sexual harassment, I've never been once tempted to use it. I've always considered it important to try to understand the beliefs of others. Hell I'm trans, and I haven't ignored anyone with a poor grasp of either grammar or biology. This thread was the final straw for me.

Star Wars brings out the kid in me. It is FUN. It makes me smile in a way few other things do. And I'm done engaging with bad faith sealioning trolls who want to ruin that for me.

Updated rankings after seeing The Rise of Skywalker:

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. Star Wars

3. Return of the Jedi
4. Rogue One

5. The Last Jedi (yeah, I moved this one up a couple spots)
6. The Force Awakens
7. Solo

8. Revenge of the Sith

9. The Rise of Skywalker
10. The Phantom Menace

11 (million, billion). Attack of the Clones

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Now that I've seen Rise of Skywalker (just one viewing so far), my updated order:

Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars
Rogue One
Return of the Jedi
The Force Awakens
The Last Jedi
Rise of Skywalker
Solo
The Phantom Menace
Revenge of the Sith
Attack of the Clones

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/they)
This is the first time I've heard of this. Care to explain more? How have Campbell's "nonsense theories" been discredited?

I mean, it's more that Campbell's universalizations leave out the storytelling traditions of most of the planet. You'll never guess which cultures didn't factor in to his research!

It's not a bad a way to write a story (as Lucas has proved; it's also served Disney well for decades at this point) but it's neither (a) the only way to tell a heroic story, nor (b) have all stories across the globe and throughout history conformed even remotely close to it, which were Campbell's key assertions.

khantroll

Explorer
Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
Star Wars
Ewoks: Battle for Endor
Ewoks: Caravan of Courage
Phantom Menace
Rogue 1
Droids
Attack of the Clones
Revenge of the Sith
The Clone Wars
The Force Awakens
Solo
The Last Jedi
Rise of Skywalker
Holiday Special

pukunui

Legend
I mean, it's more that Campbell's universalizations leave out the storytelling traditions of most of the planet. You'll never guess which cultures didn't factor in to his research!

It's not a bad a way to write a story (as Lucas has proved; it's also served Disney well for decades at this point) but it's neither (a) the only way to tell a heroic story, nor (b) have all stories across the globe and throughout history conformed even remotely close to it, which were Campbell's key assertions.
Ah OK. Truth be told I’ve never actually read Campbell myself.

Mallus

Legend
1. Star Wars
2. The Last Jedi
3. The Empire Strikes Back
4. Return of the Jedi/The Rise of Skywalker (tie)
5. The Force Awakens
6. Rogue One
7. Solo
8. Revenge of the Sith
9. Attack of the Clones
10. The Phantom Menace

Vael

Legend
As of Xmas Eve:
1. Star Wars
2. The Last Jedi
3. Empire Strikes Back