Orville: New Horizons (Spoilers)

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Also this episode is little reminder of TNG "the enemy" where Worf is faced with dilema of donating blood to romulan survivor, and I would say that Picard and Worf played it better than Mercer and Burke, as Picard did not order Worf to undergo the donation or disciplined him.
Kind of a different concept, though. Donation of blood is tied up with body autonomy, something you generally can't compel someone to give up. By contrast, Burke saving Isaac required an application of the skills that make her a valuable Orville navigator. Ordering someone to use their skills is a lot less invasive than ordering them to donate blood.

Ryujin

Legend
S3E2 "Shadow Realms" mirrored episodes of various Star Trek episodes. In TOS they'd have shot 'em all, cowboy style. In TNG or Voyager they'd have "cured" them, because they leave no being behind.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
The scene with Charly and Issac was great. She comes back and was nice to him, then BLAMO, a right hook outta nowhere.That monologue was the best part. I didn't see her as racist. She suffered a trauma. She lashed out in anger at the closest thing related to that trauma.

I feel an argument for the right to choose how, and when you die could have/should have been made, unless I missed it.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Thought the latest episode was a bit of a throw away. Visually it was fine, but I found it disjointed and the whole premise just fell flat with me.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Thought the latest episode was a bit of a throw away. Visually it was fine, but I found it disjointed and the whole premise just fell flat with me.

Thoughts?
Felt to me like it might become a new big bad, actually. They basically assimilate people, and retain the knowledge of their host, so that opens up some future shenengians.
But maybe not, the way they were sneaking around in a kinda bestial way kinda makes them flat as actual villains. Villains need a chance to ham it up.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Felt to me like it might become a new big bad, actually. They basically assimilate people, and retain the knowledge of their host, so that opens up some future shenengians.
But maybe not, the way they were sneaking around in a kinda bestial way kinda makes them flat as actual villains. Villains need a chance to ham it up.

That wasn't the most recent one.

Most recent one was essentially a holodeckn adventure.

Also reminiscent of "Shore Leave".

I do feel like this show has turned heavy when Trek has turned light! Would like to see a few more upbeat storylines. I also agree that the episodes have been setting up stuff that will be revisited later.

Remove ads