Orville: New Horizons (Spoilers)

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
3e05

So a really interesting and thought provoking episode, I quite enjoyed it. Bortus remains one of my favorite crew members, he is just so darn interesting and is really emotional beneath that tough Moclan exterior.

I actually feel bad for Clydan, I feel like he has long been the punching bag of the show. I get it, he's intolerant, but we do have to respect that his ENTIRE PLANET feels the way he does, its hard to shake that off. He is always shown in the wrong, but honestly....there is no other person that can understand what Topa was going through other than Clydan. There is a personal trauma for Clydan as well, that I don't feel is respected....Clydan is simply wrong and is constantly met with hostility, when really Clydan is simply a Topa grown up.
I don't feel bad for Klyden at all. There may be nobody who could better understand Topa's experience... but Klyden refuses to do so in any manner other than projecting his own experiences and feelings.

Changes are going to happen around you and Bortus and Klyden represent two different approaches to facing those changes. Bortus evaluates and makes his peace with them and, in doing so, grows as an individual, Klyden fights and domineers and learns nothing.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I actually feel bad for Clydan, I feel like he has long been the punching bag of the show. I get it, he's intolerant, but we do have to respect that his ENTIRE PLANET feels the way he does, its hard to shake that off. He is always shown in the wrong, but honestly....there is no other person that can understand what Topa was going through other than Clydan.

And, goodness, Chad Coleman, who plays Klyden was knocking it out of the park!

But, while he may be the closest, no, Klyden does not fully understand what Topa was going through. Klyden grew up in a society in which females are an abomination. Topa grew up on the Orville, where half the people are females and fully accepted. It is totally not the same.

So, in some ways, Klyden had it worse. Topa had the exposure and freedom to consider a different possibility. Klyden never had that chance.

Mind you, we require that Klyden find the strength to manage anyhow, and rightfully so. But it is a heck of a show that can give you that intolerant a character, who cannot stand with their offspring, and... feel a little pity for them nonetheless.

Zardnaar

Legend
And, goodness, Chad Coleman, who plays Klyden was knocking it out of the park!

But, while he may be the closest, no, Klyden does not fully understand what Topa was going through. Klyden grew up in a society in which females are an abomination. Topa grew up on the Orville, where half the people are females and fully accepted. It is totally not the same.

So, in some ways, Klyden had it worse. Topa had the exposure and freedom to consider a different possibility. Klyden never had that chance.

Mind you, we require that Klyden find the strength to manage anyhow, and rightfully so. But it is a heck of a show that can give you that intolerant a character, who cannot stand with their offspring, and... feel a little pity for them nonetheless.

Pretty much this. Klydens an a hole wife hates him so much.

But it's basically a prime example of nurture along with pressure from his world's society plus the Kaylon threat.

Ryujin

Legend
I don't feel bad for Klyden at all. There may be nobody who could better understand Topa's experience... but Klyden refuses to do so in any manner other than projecting his own experiences and feelings.

Changes are going to happen around you and Bortus and Klyden represent two different approaches to facing those changes. Bortus evaluates and makes his peace with them and, in doing so, grows as an individual, Klyden fights and domineers and learns nothing.
Being told to hate what you are can make you the most evangelical against those who are as you are. Klyden is the representation of that and, as @Umbran says, Chad Coleman is nailing it. Pity that this might be his last appearance in the show.

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
Well, there's a strong liklihood that there's only five more episodes anyway. It may soon be everyone's last appearance.
Several sources are saying that there won't be any discussion of a possible 4th season, until all of season 3 has aired. Cliffhangers are meant for shows, not renewals.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Several sources are saying that there won't be any discussion of a possible 4th season, until all of season 3 has aired. Cliffhangers are meant for shows, not renewals.

I think Hulu probably wants to see how it performs. That's not unreasonable. Annoying, but not unreasonable.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
Episode 5 is probably my favorite. I felt the emotions. I even started to tear up.

There were no commercials. I think that made it better. Commercial interruption takes you out of the moment.

Last edited:

Remove ads