Orville: New Horizons (Spoilers)

Mallus

Legend
I would never say that. It's one of my favourite things about Trek ;)
Caught up last night. Yeah... not sure what I can say about "Gently Falling Rain" here other than it was a very strong episode, Krill looked great, and... ummm... it was nice to hear President Sheridan's voice on TV again.

Another fine example of how subtlety and science fiction do not mix! (usually)

Ryujin

Legend
Caught up last night. Yeah... not sure what I can say about "Gently Falling Rain" here other than it was a very strong episode, Krill looked great, and... ummm... it was nice to hear President Sheridan's voice on TV again.

Another fine example of how subtlety and science fiction do not mix! (usually)
Yeah, I would say that every note was about as subtle as a baseball bat to the back of the head.

That wasn't the most recent one.

Most recent one was essentially a holodeckn adventure.
For some reason, I completely missed this episode, becuase the next one I watched was yet again a different story. But I watched it now.

Didn't care much for the story, the scenarios just didn't mesh well into a story, and it was mostly going through the scenarios without doing much. In a way, I actually found the fake-out idea what was really behind it more interesting than the actual show. The "benevolent arrogance" from the alien was just not as satisfying as Q's antagonistic challenges or Trelane's spoiled child attitude.

The thing I liked is actually Mercer's "philosophy" on death. Because it really matches more closely to my thoughts. I always disagree when people say death is somehow desirable to happen to someone. There are all kinds of evolutionary and physical reasons why it "must" happen, but I still don't like the concept, I don't like the idea of my existence being over (and I can't imagine it really, even though it should be easy, because I haven't existed for a very long before I suddenly did). I want to see what happens, too. I take immortality, thank you very much.

---

WIth the latest "political" episode.. It was okay, and the Kree suddenly turning into good friends was a bit too easy. Unfortunately I completely forgot anything about Mercer's Kree "Ex", it's been too long, so her return didn't mean as much as it might have to others.

It also reminded me that Seth Maclane isn't really a strong actor, because his response to meeting his kid just lacked the emotional impact it should have. Though the characters decision to not use her as political leverage was admirable (but not surprising for the kind of show it is.)

Last edited:

Stalker0

Legend
3e05

So a really interesting and thought provoking episode, I quite enjoyed it. Bortus remains one of my favorite crew members, he is just so darn interesting and is really emotional beneath that tough Moclan exterior.

I actually feel bad for Clydan, I feel like he has long been the punching bag of the show. I get it, he's intolerant, but we do have to respect that his ENTIRE PLANET feels the way he does, its hard to shake that off. He is always shown in the wrong, but honestly....there is no other person that can understand what Topa was going through other than Clydan. There is a personal trauma for Clydan as well, that I don't feel is respected....Clydan is simply wrong and is constantly met with hostility, when really Clydan is simply a Topa grown up.

Horwath

Legend
3e05

So a really interesting and thought provoking episode, I quite enjoyed it. Bortus remains one of my favorite crew members, he is just so darn interesting and is really emotional beneath that tough Moclan exterior.

I actually feel bad for Clydan, I feel like he has long been the punching bag of the show. I get it, he's intolerant, but we do have to respect that his ENTIRE PLANET feels the way he does, its hard to shake that off. He is always shown in the wrong, but honestly....there is no other person that can understand what Topa was going through other than Clydan. There is a personal trauma for Clydan as well, that I don't feel is respected....Clydan is simply wrong and is constantly met with hostility, when really Clydan is simply a Topa grown up.
this is one of my favorite episodes,

however, I do not feel sorry for Clyden at all.
I was kinda hoping that Talla would "space" him for some reason. She has a personal reason for it. Also, attacking 1st officer on Moclan ship might got him that scenario.

But, as Klyden was a hated character, that just means that it was well written and acted.

I do not think that we will see the last of Klyden, but I hope that it will ease down on Moclan storyline. Even if it is interesting, I think that it was little overused.

Also, it would be interesting to see if Isaac has developed some kind of "ego", I don't think that his decision was simply to increase crew performance.

Remove ads