OSR News Roundup

thirdkingdom

Hero
Publisher
Welcome to the first news roundup of September. We're entering the end game of 2023, and will soon be getting into Halloween and a number of horror-themed releases. For now, though, let's see what was released during the last week of August. The past week was pretty slow on the new releases front, as far as I was able to find.

• King Arthur versus the Devil Kitty is a story-book retelling of what the author claims is an ancient Arthurian myth. While on first glance it doesn't really belong in this roundup, it does include D&D stats for the Devil Kitty (plus, the art is pretty adorbs).
  • Tidal Wave Games has released Ceres, the City that Never Sleeps. It's written for See You, Space Cowboy, but can be easily adapted to any OSR-style sci-fi rpg.
  • I think I mentioned Mixed Success awhile ago, when they first announced they were looking for submissions. The first issue is now out. It's a combination fiction/gaming/philosophy zine available on itch, and issue 1 is based around the theme of negative space in OSR games, with the contention that if there are no negative spaces to fill you're not playing a game, you're reading a novel.
  • Scrap, the Gathering, is available in both Italian and English versions, and is a tongue-in-cheek send up of Magic, the Gathering. It's available as PWYW on itch, and the art for it looks really cool.
  • The Vaarn Game Jam is now over, and squeaking in just before the deadline is Dreamsands of Vaarn, a UVG-inspired caravan crawl written for Vaarn.
  • Water Hoard Honeypot is another entry into the Jam, and is a one-page adventure based around a group of bandits luring innocent victims to their doom.
  • Written as a system-neutral fantasy adventure, HISS takes place in an elven village and focuses on the doom that (may) befall it.
  • atelier pilcrow has released tulgey #2, an Alice in Wonderland-themed zine based on Cairn.
  • Seth Ian has written Red Eye at 40,000 Feet, with art by Evlyn Moreau, an adventure where gremlins are transported onto an airline flight. Hijinks ensue.
  • Crawl Issue 13, by the Rev. Dak V. Ultimak, is now available. This excellent OSR zine has been on hiatus for some time, and it's good to see that it is continuing forward, hopefully with more issues to come.
  • I don't see that much published for OSRIC these days, but The Tree and the Titan, by Anachronistes Press, is now available on Drivethru. It's a low-level adventure in a quasi-Mesopotamian setting.
  • The big release this week is the long awaited Cities Without Number, Kevin Crawford's cyberpunk game. I've been a longtime fan of his work, and am currently playing in two online WWN games. I'm excited to see what he brings to the cyberpunk table. As with all of this books, there's a free version available as well.
  • Frolicking: Kid Friendly Carousing, is a neat little addition to the OSR sphere that tones down a lot of the carousing tables that have proven to be pretty popular and makes it more appropriate for a younger audience.
  • With artwork by Dyson Logos, Lair of the Wild Hunt is an adventure for OSE designed for characters of level 4-6, which is a nice range.
  • The Mountain Adventure Bundle, by Christopher Wilson, collects a number of the author's Braunhaven books into a single bundle. It's written for Old School Essentials, and you can catch the author's actual play set in Braunhaven on Youtube.
  • Speaking of actual plays, you can hear episode Nine of the Basilisk Hills Breakdown is now live. The adventurers return to civilization in time for the monthly festival in Liwil which promises to bring as much adventure and excitement as the perilous wilds they had been exploring.
  • I've released Issue 25 of Populated Hexes Monthly on my website. This issue is the first of a two-part series that introduces a new way of doing psionics to old school gaming, one that doesn't rely on points or high ability scores to determine success. You can get it in saddlestitched or pdf.

Last edited:

thirdkingdom

Hero
Publisher
We're into the second week of September already -- this year has been flying by -- so let's see what was new last week, shall we? Oh, also, I don't usually promote Kickstarters before they go live, but Matt asked nicely (and I'm a huge fan of Tome of Adventure Design): Mythmere Games is getting ready to launch Fantasy Adventure Builder, a digital companion to ToAD.
  • Games Omnivorous is running a Kickstarter for two things: a reprint of their game Frontier Scum, and Tides of Rot, a "splattercrawl" adventure written for FS that takes the form of an LP.
  • The author of Infinite Revolution: Overdrive Edition reached out to me about carrying their project, and I though that it look interesting enough to share here. The game was originally released on itch. It's billed as a lightspeed, exosuit, dogfight rpg.
  • Under Ashen Skies, by Alex T, is a quick-running Kickstarter campaign (with only a couple of days left as of this posting). It's a a single player ( or GM-less multiplayer) rpg of loss and personal horror heavily influenced by Silent Hill, Hellraiser, and the Orphic Mysteries.
  • I'm Kickstarting Populated Hexes Monthly Issue 26, the second in a two-part series presenting alternate psionics rules for old-school gaming. This system doesn't use points to activate or maintain abilities, but instead uses a roll-under d6 mechanic that gives the character the ability to temporarily "burn" relevant ability scores to increase their chance of success.
  • Every once in a while something truly unique comes along and grabs me by the lapels. The Gobbling Glutton is a hexcrawl for Hieronymous set in Where's Waldo illustrations.
  • Speaking of which, The Fairy Feller's Master-Stroke is a mini-hexcrawl through the eponymous painting by Victorian painter Richard Dadd.
  • gestaltist has created a procedural world map generator called 12-word cartographer. It provides a simplified model of plate tectonics to create realistic-looking world maps.
  • After a sudden flurry last year the number of projects funding on Backerkit seems to have slowed down, but a new one caught my eye: The Night Clerk is an architectural horror scenario based on a popular episode role-playing radio.
  • Tim B is writing Ruins and Rogues as part of the one-page rpg jam on itch. It's designed to emulate old-fashioned dungeon crawling with minimum prep time, and is inspired by Maze Rats among other games.
  • Space Aces: Voyages in Infinite Space is now available on Drivethrurpg. It's a sprawling space hexcrawl with a vibe drawn from 80s cartoons and kitschy sci-fi.
  • Written for Shadowdark, but compatible with a broad range of OSR fantasy games, the War Under Hammerfall Mountain is a 100+ page adventure that pitches goblins against rat-folk, and let's the PCs try to take advantage of the chaos that ensues.
  • Joseph Lewis has released Wicked Little Delves v.3, a collection of three short adventures statted for 5e, OSE, and Into the Odd. They are, broadly speaking, dragon, mummy, and horror from beyond the stars themed.
  • Archives of Nabu: The School of Air, is a short collection of new spells that all have an air theme. I'm a sucker for new spells, and I like the elemental theme of air.
  • I've been hearing a lot of good things about Pirate Borg, and Pick Yer Poison is a guide to randomly generating inns, barkeeps, and other related hooks/dressing for that (or any other nautical-themed game).
  • Singing Flame has been publishing some interesting and innovative works in the past few years, and the third issue of Aquilus is finally out and on Drivethru. It's got a bunch of stuff -- character classes, random tables, new gods, but Vasili has also made the leap into commissioning art for the issue rather than using public domain works, which I think is great.
  • There are a couple of works that are now live that I've been patiently (or not) waiting for, and am excited for the print version to be released so I can stock them. The first is Gods of the Forbidden North, the inaugural and very ambitious hexcrawl release by Pulp Hummock Press.
  • The other one I've been looking forward to is the new issue of Jim Wampler's zine: Scientific Barbarian Issue 5. There's a whole host of luminaries writing for this issue, including Merle Rasmussen, Bill Barsh, Thom Wilson, and more.
  • Dark Places and Demogorgons for OSE has just seen a new adventure by Bloat Games. Happy Campers takes place in a summer camp where a dormant clan of vampires has just awakened.
  • Nothing is more old school than Runequest, still going strong after all these years. We've just added two of their newest deity-themed books to our inventory: The Lightbringers and The Earth Goddesses.
  • I've also just released Populated Hexes Monthly Issue 25 to Drivethru. Going strong into its third year, this issue is the first of a two-parter exploring a new psionics system for old school gaming that doesn't use pesky points to activate powers. It also has two playable sheep-folk classes that wield psionic powers.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Well, not yet, but in the earliest stages of doing so. I am in the process of re-developing my Kaidan setting of Japanese Horror for OSE (Old School Essentials). I am about to contract a designer/collaborator with extensive experience working with OSE. Aside from adventure material which will need created, as far as main books go, I see a GM's Guide to Kaidan, as a pocket version of the existing GM's Guide to Kaidan (Pathfinder) focusing on the archipelago, important locations, history, etc. Then I think I need an OSE Advanced Classes Guide for Kaidan, trying to shoehorn the various class types from Kaidan to best fit OSE rules, so somewhat simplified versions to capturing the range of classes that should be included (samurai, yakuza member, shinobi/ninja, yojimbo bodyguard ranger, onmyoji wizard, various clerics and monks, etc.) Something I never created for my PF version of Kaidan, but something still needed will be a Kaidan Bestiary with 20 - 36 monsters and races.

Finally, closer to my main skillset, I plan to create one of more Encounter/Map Books. A Typical Kaidan Encounters book would include: a roadside inn (ryokan), yakuza gambling den/brothel, formal bath house with inn, kabuki theater, teahouse restaurant, rural shrine, temple & garden, mikko shrine & cemetery, samurai walled manor, yakuza house, kimono/silk dyer house, sake brewery, typical rice farmer farm & home, Eta Physician Shop, typical mercantile shop, and a weapon smith. I could also see an Exotic Encounters of Kaidan, with fewer, but larger area maps of specific unique sites in Kaidan, some of which were designed for the original Kaidan, but was never published, like: a Lord's Castle and Palace (shiro), Ryukyo the Seadragon city under the sea - home to samebito and merfolk, as well as the sea dragon, Yomishima (Isle of the Dead) with a Kofun dungeon, abandoned shrines and many instances of undead, especially Japanese ghosts to contend with. A Samurai Town, with full map and mapped locations within. A forest village of henge, tengu and mountain folk.

I can use mapped locations created for the original Kaidan, but were never detailed enough with close-in maps of structures within such locations. Such as my Nine Bridges of Akayama, tengu village map...

akayama-hi-res.jpg

Last edited:

thirdkingdom

Hero
Publisher
As many readers of the Roundup might know, I opened a brick and mortar retail store this summer with a couple of other people, and last weekend had a really neat experience. There was apparently a zine Fest in Charlottesville that I wasn't aware of. After the festival, Jamie Douglas, a zine author based in Richmond, stopped by the store. Unfortunately I wasn't there, but they dropped off a couple copies of their works and later reached out to me on Discord. As it turns out, I had promoted some of their most recent works: Water Hoard Honeypot, an entry into the Vaults of Vaarn jam, Exton, a mini-setting, and more. It was a really neat completion of the circle, making a connection (however much removed by my absence) in real life that had its germs in this Roundup (as a sidenote, you can check out Jamie's itch page here!).

I'm not sure why, but releases last week were a little light. I've included what I found and thought looked interesting.

• mothteeth has released Freeform Solo Role-playing (a Guide), which is pretty much what it says on the tin: it doesn't focus on mechanical rules for solo gaming, but instead presents guidelines for the actual role-playing aspect of solo play.
  • Sanction is being funded on Kickstarter. It's an interesting-looking universal system based on the Dee Sanction rpg. The idea is that it can handle a wide variety of genres and settings, and the plan is to release a number of genre supplements as stretch goals.
  • Champions of the Goblin Market is also raising money on Kickstarter. It's a 0-level DCC funnel that features weirdness and role-play instead of the straight on grinding associated with a lot of funnels.
  • Speaking of DCC, the Balladeer is a new class for DCC that brings in bardic influence for a class that helps to buff other PCs.
  • I knew that Matt Finch had started up Mythmere Games to republish Swords and Wizardry and other books; what I didn't realize is that they're also partnering with Luke Gygax to release material for Luke's setting. The Eye of Chentoufi is written by Gygax and Matt Everhart, and is a desert-themed adventure for a party of 6th to 8th level characters, while the Heart of Chentoufi is a sequel to it and a GaryCon exclusive.
  • The folks at Red Ruin Publishing have released a new free supplement for Dragon Warriors. Day of Legends: A Record of Times Past is a record of a Dragon Warriors Convention. They've also released Issue 11 of their zine, A Casket of Fays (also free).
  • Ziggurat of the Blood God is an adventure written for OSE written for 4th level characters and set in a jungle.
  • Written for 1e, with a host of well-known artists and plenty of extra material (such as a short cookbook with recipes from the inn featured in the module), The Village on the Borderlands is a detailed sandbox adventure.
  • New High Score is an adventure for Dark Places and Demogorgons, Bloat Games "kids on bikes" setting written with the OSE ruleset and designed to emulate Stranger Things-style games.
  • Cthonic Crawl #2: Monsters and Merchants is the second issue of a DCC-themed zine. This issue features ten merchants and ten monsters that can be dropped into DCC or other OSR-style games.

thirdkingdom

Hero
Publisher
Fall is officially here in the northern hemisphere, and we're gearing up to enter the spookiest month of the year. I'm sure the Roundup will reflect this over the next few weeks. Let's take a look and see what last week's new releases looked like, shall we?

• I don't typically like to promote retail stores, preferring to focus instead on creators, but this came across my radar recently and I thought it would be of interest to the Canadian readers of this blog: The Eternal Torch is a new webstore located in western Canada that focuses on indie and OSR zines. We all know how crazy international shipping is these days, and it's nice to have another options for our neighbors up north.
  • Ben Laurence (of Ultan's Gate and Zyan fame) has started up a delightful little podcast that focuses on megadungeons. Called Into the Megadungeon, he's four episodes in, and each episode features an interview with a creator of a megadungeon campaign. This link takes you to his blog, and the link to the first episode.
  • There's a Cairn Adventure Bundle up on itch with some really fantastic products by some well-known authors in the field: Brad Kerr, Amanda P, seedling games, Cats Have no Lord, and more. Definitely a steal at the price!
  • Levi Kornelsen has published The Soothsayer's Deck, a collection of 36 oracle cards that can be used to add twists and depth to rpgs, especially if used in solo play. It'll be available as a POD product, and Levi has also made it with VTT functionality.
  • James T Hook has released Obsidian Dragon Slayer on itch. It uses the Maze Rats chassis, but is written to emulate high fantasy or sci fi play, especially along the veins of The Hobbit and similar early works.
  • There's another freebie by the folks at Red Ruin Publishing, as part of their fan-production for Dragon Warriors products. All Roads Lead to Clyster is an adventure written for 4th-6th rank characters.
  • Hoist the Flag, by Heretical Hedgehog, is a supplement for Pirate Borg that features a bunch of random tables to help out the GM, such as generating pirate flags and ship names, a study of historical jolly roger flags, and more.
  • I thought the Seeker class for OSE looked pretty interesting, although I haven't had a chance to check it out yet. Seekers are characters that started their study as magic-users, but for whatever reason were unable to complete it and master the arcane arts, but still retain the hunger for knowledge and power.
  • Knives Out is a supplement for Mork Borg (and also compatible with Frontier Scum) that features knives, fencing rules, knives, a detective class, knives, and more.
  • Limithron has released two new adventures for Pirate Borg: The Battle of Dead Man's Cove (written specifically for naval combat) and Buried in the Bahamas (a sandbox introductory adventure).
  • The Bloom, by Goblin Archives, is a sandbox adventure for Liminal Horror inspired by The Last of Us, Stranger Things, Twin Peaks, and more. Goblin Archives typically puts out fantastic stuff, so if you're a horror fan this is likely a great choice.
  • Episode 10 of Basilisk Hills Breakdown is now out. In this session, the Festival of Liwil continues, and the PCs have dinner with an ambassador from Faery and capture the leader of a brigand gang.
  • Coming up next month (October) at Sabre, we'll have a selection of spooky and horror-themed books on sale as we get ready for Halloween. This sale will apply to in-store and online purchases, so check out next week's roundup for a breakdown of what is for sale.

Over at Third Kingdom Games, I've come up with a release schedule for the next six or so months, if anyone is interested. In addition to the (monthly) Populated Hexes Monthly, I'm planning the following:
  • I've got my fingers crossed that I'll be getting the laid out version of Filling in the Blanks in this week, so I can move forward on printing the Into the Wild Omnibus. Layout has taken a lot longer than I had hoped, and I'm not happy about that.
  • I'll be raising money for the compiled Year Two of Populated Hexes Monthly in a few weeks. This should be a quick turnaround, seeing as everything is written, and I just nee to commission art. I'll also be doing the layout on this and all subsequent projects. I'm not the most innovative or interesting layout editor, but I'm pretty good at keeping to a schedule
  • I'll be crowdfunding Volume 2 of the BX Advanced Bestiary at the end of October, and shooting to have it done end of December. This volume will cover monsters E through N (maybe O).
  • Beginning of 2024 will see two projects: The Keep of the Rawhide Gang hexcrawl -- the third in the series of hexcrawl books I'm doing. This one will likely be the biggest, probably checking in at around 350 pages. I've also started writing Filling in the Dungeon, the companion book to Filling in the Blanks, that is all about randomly generating and populating dungeons. Both of these will be hitting Kickstarter the first few months of 2024.

thirdkingdom

Hero
Publisher
Welcome to the News Roundup for the first week in October. In all probability we'll be seeing a lot of horror and Halloween-themed releases this month. First, however, there are a couple of things I wanted to mention. I totally spaced on promoting Justin Sirois' (of Severed Books) metal zine spinner rack that just ended funding on Backerkit. It's a one-off thing, with no plans to make it available after the end of the project, but if you act fast and send him a message you may be able to squeak in. Sorry, Justin! Second, Tony Vasinda and the folks over at Plus One Exp have just started a monthly zine club, where you can subscribe and get physical zines mailed to you on a monthly or bimonthly basis. You should check it out if you're into indie zines and supporting small press publishers!

• Hammer City Games has released Earth, AD: Wastelander's Handbook 0e. It bills itself as a spiritual successor to Gamma World, and right now it is a PWYW preview product, with the expectation that this release will provide feedback and playtesting for the upcoming full release next year.
  • Claim the Victim, by Urania Games, is a game about probably one of the most horrifying aspects of being an adult . . . applying for jobs. In this zine, however, you play as a real-life movie monster trying to get a job. It's a solo game of CVs and cover letters.
  • Theunlawfulneutral has added Magical Miscreants: d100+ Wizards & Witches to their itch page. It's a collection of random tables that can be used to generate magical miscreants for any fantasy adjacent game. And, because their tables involve rolling more than just a d100, you're guaranteed to get billions of possible combinations.
  • Into the Odd is a game that I don't think gets enough love, and I just saw there's a new, 3pp setting written for it (but, of course, easily adaptable to other settings) called The Splitting Stone. It's free, and provides a bare bones sketch of the setting, including a community and the dungeon that has opened up beneath it.
  • I was intrigued when I saw the elevator pitch for Super Space Shifters. It's a sci-fi game set in an alternate galaxy where the players act as a cadre of messengers and diplomats (er, or spies) that travel to different planets solving problems. What caught my eye was the author's deliberate attempt to meld traditional rpg games with newer, more modern innovations (the kind of narrative or storytelling games that a lot of OSR gamers sneer at). I think it's an interesting approach, and if something like that appeals to you I think it is worth a look.
  • Spectacle is currently raising funds on Kickstarter. It's a science fantasy space gladiatorial game inspired by Kirby, Junji Ito, and more. It is being published by Bolt Neck Oppossum and features contributions by some luminaries in the indie/OSR field, including Tony Jaguar and Luke Gearing. It's written for Troika!
  • Mothership is a great game to be running this month, and there's Hell on Rev-X is a depthcrawl for Mothership set on a derelict, city-sized generation ship. The publishers have two purchasing options: full-price and economically distressed, which is a solid thing for them to do.
  • The first retroclone I ever played was Gurbintroll's (formerly known as Blacky the Blackball) Dark Dungeons, a clone of the Rules Cyclopedia. They're currently crowdfunding Light Fantasy RPG, a modern take on OSR gaming. I highly recommend checking it out; they've got a long track record of producing high quality products. There's a thread over on rpgnet where they talk about their design decisions that went into Light Fantasy.
  • Another OSR adjacent author I really like (as do many readers, I would assume) is Kevin Crawford, and they've just launched a Kickstarter for another round of offset books for Worlds Without Numbers.
  • The RPG Blacksmith has just released a series of hand-drawn hex-tiles to use in swamp or marsh hexcrawls. They're designed so they can be used as lone encounter locations to together as a hexcrawl setting. I like the idea of randomly assembling them to create a map for solo gaming.
  • Academia Arcana is available on Drivethru as an ashcan edition. It uses the DCC rules as a framework to create a game of students in a wizarding school. It also features some of my favorite artists, including Amanda Lee Franck, JE Shields, and Charles Ferguson-Avery.
  • Bill Edmunds has released Black Dragon #4, a zine for OSR gaming. One of the things that drew my interest to this issue was a section on randomly generating cults.
  • The Shattered Oak is a two-page, vertical dungeon written for Mausritter designed as an introductory one-shot to the system.
  • Written for OSE, and just in time for Halloween, goddamn it. Another title with AI art and text. Yeah, not going to promote this one.
  • One of the biggest questions I see being asked in the OSE space is when there will be a demons and devils supplement. There's nothing official, but Appendix N Entertainment has just released Demonology, their bestiary that looks at demons.
  • This looks to be . . . f***. More AI art. Nope.
  • Tim is of the Essence is a scenario for CY_BORG where the players have to find Tim.
  • Populated Hexes Monthly Issue 26 is now out on the website. This issue is the second part in a look at a new type of psionics for OSR games, one that doesn't use points to activate or keep track of powers, but instead uses a roll-under mechanic. It's available in pdf and offset print through the Sabre Games webstore.
  • We're having a spooky Halloween sale the whole month of October at Sabre Games. You can get almost one hundred horror-themed titles at a 20% discount!

Last edited:

thirdkingdom

Hero
Publisher
Welcome to the second Roundup for October. We've got a number of Kickstarters I want to mention, but first there's something I'd like to address. I've been pretty clear about my support of creators and my desire to not promote anything with AI content. Last week I had some entries that expressed displeasure at the number of AI-driven projects I've been seeing, and the overwhelming majority of reader responses have been supportive of my stance. There was one commenter on Reddit that disagreed with my stance that AI hurts individual, small-press creators, arguing that it was a good thing since it allowed creators on limited budgets to add art to their projects. I follow a number of indie and 3rd party communities, and I have seen no evidence of small creators being excited by AI. Regardless, I've been thinking about this and decided to put my money where my mouth is.

I'm currently running a Kickstarter (link below) and have since added two new stretch goals, one at 7,500.00 and one at 10,000.00. For each of these we hit I'm going to set aside 500.00 that will be divided into five 100.00 grants. If you're publishing a game and can use some financial help, let me know and I'll see what I can do. The money can be used to commission art, hire an editor, fund a print-run, buy hookers and blow, whatever you want, as long as the project doesn't include any AI. I'm hoping we can hit at least the first of those two stretch goals, especially with ZineMonth24 just around the corner.

Anyway, let's move on to the releases, shall we?

• This has been a pretty stressful week for me, as my mother has finally made the right decision and is entering hospice care after years of declining health, and it is somewhat appropriate that I just noticed the current crowdfunding project by the Far Horizons Co-Op: Afterwords is a collection of essays and games by indie creators with the goal of "tak[ing] the lens of play and use it to highlight our own reactions to different aspects of death. To explore how death is used in myth, ritual, art, and even business. To help us all better understand our own feelings about something that will happen to us all."
  • Wind Lothamer is raising funds for Isle of Joy, a David Lynch-inspired island hexcrawl that's described as a "brooding, psychedelic trip". It's for mid-level characters and written for Old School Essentials. It looks really neat, but there's just one thing I wanted to mention that's applicable to this and other similar Kickstarters: if you're including a retailer tier, and delivery of the project is, say, more than 3 months out, please don't have the tier be for the full amount. Rather, use a placeholder of a couple dollars to register retailer interest. As a retailer, it's really difficult to commit significant money to a product that we may not see for half a year, or more (in the case of this specific Kickstarter, July 2024). Peter Regan does an excellent job of this, as do several other creators (I don't mean to single Wind Lothamer out specifically, because it is something I see a lot, and it immediately turns me off of backing projects with such a long lead time). Also, damn, I see this Roundup is turning into one big wall of text. Sorry!
  • Mythmere Games has launched a Kickstarter to fund the Tome of Adventure Design -- Digital Fantasy Builder, a digital adaptation and expansion of their hugely popular Tome of Adventure Design that should allow people to generate entire adventures.
  • Kevin Crawford's running a Kickstarter to fund a reprint of the offset version of his hugely popular Worlds Without Numbers book.
  • Prisoners of the Secret Overlords is funding on Kickstarter. It's a 2nd level adventure written for DCC. It's already been written (yay!) and just is funding for layout at commissioned art.
  • Oh, and yeah, I'm running a Kickstarter for a compiled book of the second year of Populated Hexes Monthly. This covers issues 13-24, which includes a bunch of new classes for OSE (a Garth Nix-inspired necromancer, parrot-folk, turtle-folk, ironskin craftpriest, and more), rules for naval engagements and improving naval vessels, printable ship tokens to use on a battlemap, and plenty of adventure locations! Plus, if we hit the mentioned stretch goals, I'll be donating money to other creators to help them out.
  • I'd mentioned another one of Savvy Donkey Presses generators recently, and now they've released an Endless Crypt Generator, designed to randomly generate crypts. Interestingly, it's mentioned that it can be used to pre-generate dungeons or to create them on the fly.
  • Archstone Press has released their first adventure on itch. Entitled Smoke in the Salt Pines, it's a 24-page semi-random pointcrawl adventure for low to medium level parties, and is largely system agnostic, so it can be run in any OSR or NSR system. What caught my eye was the art, which has a delightful innocence to it.
  • I don't usually plug stuff that hasn't been released yet, but I'm a big fan of Ava Islam's Errant system, and they've just announced the upcoming first adventure for it. I'm sure I'll plug it when the KS goes live, but you should check it out now and smash that "Notify me on launch" button.
  • Active Time Battle is a short, PWYW pdf meant for use with Troika! It presents science fantasy, JRPG-inspired backgrounds for your heroes.
  • Kyle Tam has released Fate's Folly, a randomized point-crawl written for Mork Borg, with the adventure being determined by the roll of the die as you progress through it.
  • Taintedweald is written for Cairn and is inspired by the works of Hayao Miyazaki. It's a post-apocalyptic forest-crawl.
  • Session Eleven of the Basilisk Hills Breakdown is now live, in which the adventurers deal with the aftermath of the Festival in Liwil, interrogate the captured brigand boss, and learn more about the town of Sin and the mysterious Lord of Shadows.
  • I released Populated Hexes Monthly Issue 26, the second part of a two-part introduction to an alternate psionics system for OSR games, one that doesn't require you to track psychic points.
  • On the Sabre end of things, we've still got our Halloween sale going on, here, and have also added a clearance page. We've also added:
  1. The offset versions of Kevin Crawford's Stars Without Numbers and Cities Without Numbers.
  2. The Tome of Adventure Design, by Matt Finch, is back in stock.
  3. We've added a number of books by Jacob Fleming to the inventory, including the Scourge of the Northland, In the Shadow of Tower Silveraxe, and Through the Valley of the Manticore.
  4. The Demon Lord Expansion, by Max Moon Games. This is the sequel to Twelve Years.
  5. A number of used titles that are OSR-adjacent.

Remove ads