• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] 2002 World Cup, part 2

Quickbeam

Explorer
I'm calm now. I just had to respond to the rather inflammatory comments made by Lars -- I don't always have the best emotional impulse control ;).

Congrats to Germany. As I said above, they are riding on the wave of Kahn's (and the defense's) great play. Should they win this year, I have no doubt they'll prove VERY formidable in defending the Cup on home soil in 2006.

Lars Frehse

First Post
Quickbeam, what I was referring to was the game today. When you were quoted by the poster previous to me, it was in reference to the game today, obviously, and since I am tired of hearing the same stuff over and over again, I thought bitching back was in order. After all, the squeaking by comment was unappropriate today. And the gloating comment regarding Ballacks ban just did the rest for me.
So, sorry for that. For one second, though, imagine being a Kraut and seeing the "funny and witty" comments of sun and likewise mindless papers over and over again... Seeing German players with steel helmets is only funny a few times, and if I have to read the word "panzer" in referrence to German soccer players again, I will puke.
So, reading the same sort of comments from some British posters in this thread was rather tiresome. And so it felt like shooting back, for me. But, like it often happens when you are shooting blindly, I hit the wrong guy.
Sorry.
(Incidentally, I did support England in the game vs. Argentinia. In my eyes, it had been high time that the "hand of god" incident got avenged. :))
Now, Ballack may be missed, but he never played up to his standards during this tournament. Apart from Kahn, I think every German player can be substituted. We still have Ricken, who, with Dortmund, had reached the Uefa Cup final, after all.
The greatest strength of the German team had been that they had a good team spirit and a readiness to run and help each other. So, in a way, it can be considered good that this time, we were going into the tournament without any big time stars. Also, it may have helped that noone expected much of this team in the first place.
This made them a very strong team in turn.
This gives them a fighting chance on sunday, too.
After all, if the teams with the best players would always be world champion, then Brazil wouldn't have been world champions 4 times but rather 14 times. :)

Rashak Mani

First Post
Ronaldo will be playing apparently ... his injury is over. He might not play the whole game... but he will play.

Does that mean Brazil will win ? Even without Ronaldo we have a good chance... Turkey is over their head.

BRAZIL !!

Last edited:

Quickbeam

Explorer
Lars:
Thanks for the reply, it's greatly appreciated. I'm not selling the Germans short, and as you well know I haven't ridiculed them or made any derogatory remarks. They've methodically moved on through each round with unspectacular, yet sound play. This is nothing to be ashamed of, and perhaps my "squeaking by" comment was inaccurate as it relates to this morning's contest. I guess I just keep waiting for them to explode like they did against Saudi Arabia...I want to see the World Cup winners celebrate a convincing win, not protect a one goal lead 'til the clock expires.

No hard feelings, and perhaps I'll personally see you and many of the other World Cup fans in this thread in four years. My wife and I will likely make the trip to Germany for the festivities.

Rashak Mani

First Post
I agree this make one goal and pullback tactics are getting tiresome. Many great teams were kicked out of the World Cup using these kinds of play.

Yet its like some are saying... its results football.... so much for playing well... attacking and so forth. No Moral Champions in this game it seems. Win Win Win.

As for Germany... without Ballack they will suffer... over here some are quite happy with Ballacks absence for the final... of course if we do get over Turkey to the final. Should we get there Ballack will be sorely missed by the German Team...

Last edited:

Lars Frehse

First Post
Quickbeam, I am glad that we are cool again. Actually I plan to get tickets for as many games as possible then. I don't care whether the match will be Qatar vs. Burkina Faso, or whatever. Just watching teams from all over the world with fans from all over the world should be fun.
And, yes, I too wish that it will be a good game on sunday, no matter what. I remember Italy vs. Brazil in 1994. That was the most boring game ever, and after a 0-0, it went over to penalty...
(not that I mind penalty, but I rather watch it after a gripping 3-3 ;)). I watched it with some friends, and after a while, we even got out a board game! The final match had been too boring.
Fortunately, the Brazilians don't play as defensively as then anymore, and I don't think that the German team will even think about trying to get a one goal lead and hold it... After all, Brazil would be destined to score at least two goals.
But, hey, we still got Klose! ;)
And if it will be Turkey, I only hope that noone here in Germany will get hurt. There are a lot of Turkish people here, and some stupid Germans are always ready to use sports as an excuse for violence...

Rashak Mani

First Post
I was wondering about that too... a Turkey vs Germany Final could bring some racial tensions too dangerous levels in Germany. Hopefully that wont happen except in the south of Brazil where our German Colonists live.... :) Brazil vs Germany is a much more interesting final (yep biased opinion)

Lars Frehse

First Post
Rashak Mani, but of course you are biased... This IS soccer after all! :)
Well, we will know for sure tomorrow. But right now, I am afraid that I am so excited, I won' get any sleep till sunday! :)

world cup

i am sorry to see that korea have been accused of cheating in the world cup, although i believe the refereeing in the tournament has been excellent, the assistant referees have been disgraceful.......i dont know if they are even told the offside rule at FIFA training camp, but that is just one of those things.

we(england) were not good enough against brazil due to a number of factors:

1. one of our greatest hopes(beckham) failed to play within a 1/10th of his actual potential, every corner or free-kick was poorly executed.

2.seaman fumbled his spot check at the worst possible moment, and ronaldinho got the luckiest fumble of a ranged touch attack ever.

3.owen was nowhere near as good as usual

4.the whole midfield gave the ball away too often

5.steven gerrard was not there

6.david beckham and paul scholes both pulled out of vital tackles which cost us the first goal, although it was a superb finish by the rivaldster

7.there was no urgency after we were a goal down, we just sat back

8.the substitutes made less of a contribution than the substituted

oh well, another 4 years of waiting, good luck brazil, unlucky germany.....you will never win in the final against brazil (at least i believe it will be brazil), not without your star man Ballack.

Rashak Mani

First Post
Chillwindhaven... Beckham´s name was changed in a local cartoon to Backhome !!

Indeed England seemed very lackluster... what happened ? They seemed so good until they met Brazil.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads