• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] 2002 World Cup, part 2

ninthcouncil has got the right idea with steven gerrard, i knew as soon as i heard about his surgery that england would not win the world cup.
and beckham gets played every math when he blatantly isnt fit, just because he is beckham, he didnt even do the job of a captain.......he would have done more good doing a gay photoshoot like he ususally does

Quickbeam

Explorer
I will forever despise Brazil if they get a 1-0 lead on Germany and sit on it like they did against Italy in 1994. I fully expect that the Germans will try to employ this tactic given their recent results over Paraguay, USA, and Korea. If they get the lead (and I hope they do) then we may be treated to an exciting Final, as Brazil fights and presses forward trying to score goals.

Anyhting other than this, and we're all in for a snoozer. Why couldn't Senegal or another similar team be in the Finals ;)?

Lars Frehse

First Post
Actually I don't think that the final game will be like 1994. The German players lack the necessary discipline, and Brazil didn't play as defensively as eight years ago.
So, I am hoping for a good final game.

Rashak Mani

First Post
So we got a lackluster 1x0 over Turkey... here we come Germany... :rolleyes: These two teams arent exactly Champion material are they ?

In Brazil I think many are dying of heart attacks watching the team play.... at least the defense seems to have improved... which isnt a hard statement to make considering how it was before.

Lars Frehse

First Post
Rashak Mani, maybe Brazil didn't play the fantastic soccer you would expect, but actually, this time around, no team did. Some teams played with a lot of heart, but there was no team around that really showed off it's superiority...
Not like France in the last tournament or Argentinia in the eighties or Brazil with Pele, you know...

Goodsport

Explorer
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp After a week-long media tour in New York and Los Angeles with the rest of the U.S. National Team, Landon Donovan returns to Spartan Stadium again tomorrow (as he did hours after the USA-Germany match to play in the last five minutes against the Colorado Rapids before setting off for the media tour) to once again join his reigning MLS Cup Champion San Jose Earthquakes to face the Kansas City Wizards (KC will be joined by their starting goalkeeper Tony Meola, who was the #3 goalkeeper on Team USA in Korea/Japan).

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp
donovan40602.gif

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Jeff Agoos should also be with the Quakes (he is the team captain, after all), although he won't play due to his injured leg, so Richard Mulrooney will continue wearing the captain's armband for a little while longer.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Unlike last Saturday when a last-minute change of plans kept me from the game, I most likely will be there tomorrow. :)

-G

Last edited:

Goodsport

Explorer
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Just under two hours to go until the Brazil-Germany World Cup 2002 final begins! :)

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Is no one else here excited by it? :confused:

-G

P.S. = San Jose came back from a 1-0 deficit in the final four minutes of regulation to defeat Kansas City 2-1 and remain atop the standings! :D

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
I doubt you could script a more textbook finish to the World Cup. Each team epitomizes the tradition of either Old or New World play. They are the two highest point scoring teams in the tournament. It's one hour into the game and it is 0-0 though each team has had multiple scoring opportunities! :)

*edit* Moments after my post, Brazil scored and goes on to win. Congrats to Brazil! :) *end edit*

Last edited:

Berandor

lunatic
Well, well.

Germany surely demanded a great fight of Brazil. They had some chances and seemed better most of the match, but Brazil has won, and not undeservedly.

Congratullations, Brazil!

Finally, I would like to congratulate bith Turkey and South Korea, playing a great 3rd place-playoff, and showing major sportsmanship afterwards.
It was the best "small final" I can remember, and both teams played quick, and technically adept, soccer.

A good World Cup that managed to challlenge some of the traditional viewpoints about soccer nations.
Let's hope Turkey, Senegal and Korea can continue their good work, and some more "small nations" manage to catch up.

Berandor

Krug

Newshound
Well at least the 2nd goal was nice. The 1st goal was more of a mistake by Kahn.

Soccer just doesn't work for me. Compare it to the Super Bowl, especially this year's and the Titans-Rams SB. The World Cup just doesn't have the same thrills.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads