• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Other 3.x OGL systems

NotZenon

Explorer
I am interested in some of the OGL 3.X systems. I currently own 3.0, 3.5, and Pathfinder (and starwars saga). I have recently ordered trailblazer, and i am wondering peoples opinions on the following systems, and how they differ from 3.5 (or a simple rundown):

Arcana Evolved

Sword and Sorcery

Iron Kingdoms

Conan

Wheel of time

Fantasy Craft

Knights and Crusaders

or any other....

Just wondering a general opinion if you've played any of these systems, and what you think they have to offer in terms of homebrew, etc..

Starbuck_II

First Post
I am interested in some of the OGL 3.X systems. I currently own 3.0, 3.5, and Pathfinder (and starwars saga). I have recently ordered trailblazer, and i am wondering peoples opinions on the following systems, and how they differ from 3.5 (or a simple rundown):

Iron Kingdoms
Just wondering a general opinion if you've played any of these systems, and what you think they have to offer in terms of homebrew, etc..
Only one I've got.

Arcanist is stronger than 3.5 D& (2nd editions llusions= cause real damage unless make save disbelief).

Iron Kingdoms doesn't use armor as armor bonus (uses Armor as DR/magic).
They changed feats some (some help/some about same).
Also uses the Token system:
everyone has tokens to help them supplement their abilities.
Drawback- they get them in different ways. Sadly multiclassing means keeping track of seperate types of tokens (these tokens don't interact).

It would be better if they had a unified token system.
1) Fighter = Man at Arms (no difference)
2) Archer = Ranger/Bow Fighter, ranged dude
3) Armiger: Tank dude, when DR stops damage, they get tokens. So yiou want to be hit (but no damaged).
So you want good defenses, but not too high (misses no help you).
4) Berserker= Barbarian (naked mode), wearing armor makes them lose some bonuses. You want to be hit (doesn't matter if DR blocks) for tokens.
5) Executioner= Combat version of Rogue (Full Bab, sneak attack). Get Tokens at start of each encounter. Get more by studying opponent (use actions like Move, etc).
6) Harrier: 3.5 Scout (mobile light armored guy)
7) Hunter= 3.5 Marshal but better bonuses from using tokens (Get Tokens at start of each encounter/Studying.)
8) Thief= Rogue (do have sneak attack, but 3/4th BAB) but class features skill bonuses.
9) Weapon Master= Really good certain weapons (additional attk). Gain tokens when hit people.

ValhallaGH

Explorer
Only one I've got.

Arcanist is stronger than 3.5 D& (2nd editions llusions= cause real damage unless make save disbelief).

Iron Kingdoms doesn't use armor as armor bonus (uses Armor as DR/magic).
They changed feats some (some help/some about same).
Also uses the Token system:
everyone has tokens to help them supplement their abilities.
Drawback- they get them in different ways. Sadly multiclassing means keeping track of seperate types of tokens (these tokens don't interact).

It would be better if they had a unified token system.
1) Fighter = Man at Arms (no difference)
2) Archer = Ranger/Bow Fighter, ranged dude
3) Armiger: Tank dude, when DR stops damage, they get tokens. So yiou want to be hit (but no damaged).
So you want good defenses, but not too high (misses no help you).
4) Berserker= Barbarian (naked mode), wearing armor makes them lose some bonuses. You want to be hit (doesn't matter if DR blocks) for tokens.
5) Executioner= Combat version of Rogue (Full Bab, sneak attack). Get Tokens at start of each encounter. Get more by studying opponent (use actions like Move, etc).
6) Harrier: 3.5 Scout (mobile light armored guy)
7) Hunter= 3.5 Marshal but better bonuses from using tokens (Get Tokens at start of each encounter/Studying.)
8) Thief= Rogue (do have sneak attack, but 3/4th BAB) but class features skill bonuses.
9) Weapon Master= Really good certain weapons (additional attk). Gain tokens when hit people.
That's Iron Heroes, not Iron Kingdoms.

ValhallaGH

Explorer
do you think the token system is helpful? does it slow things down or is it fairly intuitive?

Yes, on all points.

I found it a great way to encourage players to play the class in the style it was intended. It provided a (sometimes) tangible reward and it allowed you to use your cool abilities. It forced a tactical choice about which abilities to use, since the coolest tricks took the most tokens, while being extremely stylistic. It also placed a practical cap on the use of abilities without putting a hard cap (x per day, per encounter, etc). Very cool and flexible.

Whether or not it slows things down depends upon you and your players. Most of the token-related slowdown I've seen has been about if the actions should be taken to gather tokens. A question of options, which gets resolved about as quickly as any similar combat tactics decision.

I found it extremely intuitive (Do X and get Y tokens. Spend Z tokens to do A.). Once people realized how it worked (using poker chips to give them a tangible method of tracking), no one I played with needed supervision or help tracking and spending tokens.

coyote6

Adventurer
FWIW, I think there's a second edition or a revised version of Iron Heroes coming out; not sure if you ordered that or not, though.

Remove ads