Out of Print games You Miss...

Siberys

Adventurer
Do TCGs count?

Magi-Nation Duel, though there are rumors of a new version coming out this year. I'm trying to collect a full playset of all of the old sets.

Well, if you ask him, he'll probably come up with some ridiculous claims about incomprehensible mechanics, silly tables, and weird cardplay or something like that. But you are closer to the truth with your initial guess ;)
I am not a Torg expert, despite all my highlighting the few game mechanics I know in various game design threads here, but I remember there was a rule where you rolled your Toughness score against your Toughness score... Some might say this is a precursor to the 4E "Save" mechanic, others might say this might be what you're alluding to... ;)

Aus_Snow

First Post
The versions I had in mind, of those things I mentioned, are the precise things I miss. And, just as importantly (actually, no, more importantly) the circumstances at those times.

Sure, they might not all be out of print, but I guess they're also not things I'll probably ever go back to.

I don't 'miss' any game that I might intend to play or GM. Those, I either own, or will buy, and there's no 'missing' anything involved. And truly, a game system doesn't need something coming out every month for it to be playable - this is a thing I just don't understand about some folks' views on RPGs.

Nostalgia rules when it comes to games I wouldn't go anywhere near these days, but have that kind of pang about. Sort of like, 'gee I miss those games. . . oh well anyway, what is it we're doing later today? M&M, you say? Awesome!'

Staffan

Legend
MERP, CP20xx, WFRP, Trinity, early [A]D&D, Earthdawn, Pendragon.
WFRP is still in print, in its second edition. Though I guess that if you can count AD&D as OOP, you can count WFRP1 as well.

Pretty sure White Wolf is doing Pendragon these days.

And Earthdawn is being published by two different companies: Living Room Games created a 2nd edition and moved the timeline forward a bit, whereas RedBrick Games created more of a "revised" edition and kept the timeline where it was.

I am not a Torg expert, despite all my highlighting the few game mechanics I know in various game design threads here, but I remember there was a rule where you rolled your Toughness score against your Toughness score...
That was for healing, showing that recovering from being (e.g.) Heavily Wounded took the same amount of time regardless of Toughness. It's just that it took a lot more damage to bring the high-TOU guy to heavily wounded in the first place.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
Hmm. Maybe Torg is the Kevin Bacon of RPGs?

It so is. Bill Slaviscek was a Torg designer as well, iirc. We could make a huge chart of all the connections between Torg and other games. How much fun would that be?

:D :D

(For the record, I quite liked Baruk Kaah...)

I am not a Torg expert, despite all my highlighting the few game mechanics I know in various game design threads here, but I remember there was a rule where you rolled your Toughness score against your Toughness score... Some might say this is a precursor to the 4E "Save" mechanic, others might say this might be what you're alluding to... ;)
Heh heh, no, our game never reached those levels of intricacy ;) Things kinda stalled around the "add the same bonus to both rolls" stage of things. Oh well. On the upside, crazy_cat makes great tea :D

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Also, though not RPGs, does anyone remember the old TSR minigames, like "Revolt on Antares"?

Yeah...my RoA is missing some counters though. Saga was pretty good, too.

Still, the MicroGames were pretty much the best bang for the buck, though. Stalin's Tanks, Helltank...Ogre/G.E.V., HotSpot...the list goes on.

Remove ads