OUT OF THE ABYSS Has Derro - Check Them Out!

WotC has sent along a Derro-themed package today. This is a page from Out of the Abyss (the upcoming adventure, September 15th), plus an additional piece of Derro-tastic art. Derro, as you may know, first showed up in 1982's The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth. Degenerate dwarves, they are evil and sneaky, and often feature powerful magic-wielding savants in their midst. Not only that, though - this page also shows an index of all the new NPCs and monsters in the adventure, sorted by Challenge Rating!

WotC has sent along a Derro-themed package today. This is a page from Out of the Abyss (the upcoming adventure, September 15th), plus an additional piece of Derro-tastic art. Derro, as you may know, first showed up in 1982's The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth. Degenerate dwarves, they are evil and sneaky, and often feature powerful magic-wielding savants in their midst. Not only that, though - this page also shows an index of all the new NPCs and monsters in the adventure, sorted by Challenge Rating!

For my previous coverage of Out of the Abyss, including lots of other previews, click right here!

derro_art.jpeg

derro__1440608675_82.22.21.127.jpg

Xavian Starsider

First Post
Yep. Go look at the other previews - the demon Lords are appendix D.

[Sung to the tune of your favorite Sesame Street song]
D is for demons, that's good enough for me!
Oh, Demons! Demons! Demons! Stats in D!

Sacrosanct

Legend
Crossbow with no loading property? Yay! We get to have all those discussions about how the crossbow feat is too OP, and we'll see tons of min/maxers going around wielding dual derro crossbows ;)

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Crossbow with no loading property? Yay! We get to have all those discussions about how the crossbow feat is too OP, and we'll see tons of min/maxers going around wielding dual derro crossbows ;)
You do realise that dual wielding is just flavour, right? That dual wielding crossbows mechanically gains you nothing?

Scorpio616

First Post
Ixitxachitil CR 1/4? Not in my hands, sir. Not under my watch.

They were originally 1+1 HD. CR 1/4 doesn't seem too far off. (Hobgoblins - originally 1+1 HD - and gnolls - originally 2 HD - are both CR 1/2.)
Right. Now what 5E needs is more Tiers of each monster, ala Diablo. Like 4-7 versions of a monster 2 CR points apart.

I know, and there is no reason why a monster with one attack needs that weapon, all it does is cuts down on their range.

Remove ads

Remove ads