Over Half Of New D&D Players Got Into Game From Watching Online Play

I know this is really a small issue if any at all, but yet I find it mildly disturbing that so many people watch others play D&D instead of playing it themselves... it's kind of similar to the rise of "eSports" and their possible inclusion even in the olympics. And also my kids are starting to watch people play Minecraft on youtube instead of playing it themselves! It's ok to watch...

I know this is really a small issue if any at all, but yet I find it mildly disturbing that so many people watch others play D&D instead of playing it themselves... it's kind of similar to the rise of "eSports" and their possible inclusion even in the olympics. And also my kids are starting to watch people play Minecraft on youtube instead of playing it themselves! It's ok to watch occasionally to get some inspiration, but if it's more often than the real thing then it raises some questions...

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Wow, people are really weird. Or rather I must be really weird as I can't get anything from watching other people play D&D. I usually even get bored while watching the turns of my fellow LFR/AL players on the table, even if my character's life may be at risk.

Of course there is something wrong with you. You aren't enjoying the same things that I do, the same way that I do. And my personal experiences are the metric by which the rest of the universe is measured. :cool:

TheSwartz

Explorer
And, too bad they have a skewed view of the real game. By real, I mean actually playing with real friends, who aren't a bunch of actors with producers and sound guys.

Celebrim

Legend
Wow is that an astounding result/finding.

I mean, I find online play so boring I can't manage to watch even say Critical Role for 5 minutes. I never imagined such shows held any attraction at all to anyone not steeped to an embarrassing degree in the hobby already (and perhaps not able to get their 'fix' in the normal manner). 50%???

As my 12 year old would say, "Mind blown."

Celebrim

Legend
Eh, "50% of folks who responded to our online survey indicated that they learned about the game by watching others play online". I'll grant that lots of folks watch streams capturing playing sessions, and that that doing so is increasing in popularity, but I'm not sure I'll accept the statistic as given.

I have a hard time believing it myself, but on the other hand I have no contrary evidence to present.

I'm thinking the streams are not typical: They stray into acting and improv, which makes them more entertaining, but less representative.

Perhaps, but as a guy with Thespian leanings in my games, I do wish that acting and improv was more representative.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Eh, "50% of folks who responded to our online survey indicated that they learned about the game by watching others play online". I'll grant that lots of folks watch streams capturing playing sessions, and that that doing so is increasing in popularity, but I'm not sure I'll accept the statistic as given.

Also, it's really quite easy to have watched videos of folks playing RPGs. I have, although, they have never caught my interest long enough for me to keep watching. I suspect this is a generational thing: For example, I rather prefer written reviews, while video reviews have become rather common. See, for example, reviews on boardgamegeek. I would be interested in seeing a stream of The Amber Experiment -- see http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5lk5x?Order-of-the-Amber-DieThe-Strange-Aeons.

I'm thinking the streams are not typical: They stray into acting and improv, which makes them more entertaining, but less representative.

Thx!
TomB
What is there to "accept" about the statistic, it simply is?

The streams I've seen resemble my play experience, at the very least.

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
I think that part of the reason that D&D is doing as well as is right now is because of these livestreams. I don't play D&D but I think that if these live streams bring people into the hobby? Great. It's a way to bypass the mostly toxic gatekeeper mentaility that you see in this very thread. And make no mistake in order for the hobby to survive and thrive those gatekeeper types need to be rendered inconsequential. As long as people are playing the game and having fun doing it? WHO CARES HOW THEY GOT IN.

These livestreams are reaching audiences other than the ones who are currently playing the game. And TF that's a good thing.

OB1

Jedi Master
For myself, after a 10 year absence from the game, it was listening to the Podcast Critical Hit on my hour long LA commute that got me itching to play again and brought me back to the game. Got four other friends who played D&D back in the day listening to it and the next thing I knew we were engaged with the Next playtest and have been meeting twice a month to play ever since. Critical Hit's Celestial Crusade campaign is 60 or so hours of pure genius.

Watched a few episodes of Critical Role but didn't have the time to fully watch. Now that it's a Podcast i'm making my way through it and loving it. It's amazing how much their bumbling, rules-adjacent gameplay matches the style of my group!

Remove ads

Remove ads