Over Half Of New D&D Players Got Into Game From Watching Online Play

I know this is really a small issue if any at all, but yet I find it mildly disturbing that so many people watch others play D&D instead of playing it themselves... it's kind of similar to the rise of "eSports" and their possible inclusion even in the olympics. And also my kids are starting to watch people play Minecraft on youtube instead of playing it themselves! It's ok to watch...

I know this is really a small issue if any at all, but yet I find it mildly disturbing that so many people watch others play D&D instead of playing it themselves... it's kind of similar to the rise of "eSports" and their possible inclusion even in the olympics. And also my kids are starting to watch people play Minecraft on youtube instead of playing it themselves! It's ok to watch occasionally to get some inspiration, but if it's more often than the real thing then it raises some questions...

rgoodbb

Adventurer
I'm still relatively new to D&D playing. I grew up getting shut out of my friend's groups because I was the only girl and I would "throw the dynamic off." I kept trying, though, and eventually (YEARS later) found a group that would let me in. Then the DM got a girl friend and that was the end of the group because no one else knew how to DM. Watching other DMs is how I'm working up the courage to give it a go myself. :)

As others have stated, do keep at it and push yourself. You won't be disappointed. I agree with the getting a few friends together idea. This may help in encouraging you.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showpost.php?p=7008807

sydbar

Explorer
I am 47 and have been playing since 82, and that is what got me interested in video games. I have a Starfinder game every other week and i watch/listen live Critical Role(usually 5E), Valiant Vanquished(Valiant RPG), Shield of Tomorrow(Star Trek Adventures), Dick & Johnson(All Outta Bubblegum) and every other week Power Rangers Hyper Force(A system by Malika). I also watch on YouTube Save or Dice(5E), Marvel Super heroes(FASERIP), The Gauntlet(heavily modded Pathfinder), Pencils & Parsecs(FFG Star Wars), ForeverVerse(multiple systems), AcqInc(5E), AcqInc: The C Team(5E) and my favorite was Corporate Sins(Shadowrun).

I am happy that shows like Critical Role bring people into the hobby but i do hope that they realize that most groups aren't made up of actors, voice actors or improv artists.

I'm going to agree on a need for more variety in the shows. For instance, our group takes the experience seriously, and I feel like the livestreams I've seen don't. By taking it seriously, I don't mean playing somberly or humorlessly. There is plenty of out of character humor, and in-character humor that makes sense. What we don't do is make fun of the game we're playing while we're playing it. We are big into the acting role-playing, we speak in character and say things that our characters would say. Occasionally we (and by that I generally mean me) will have an out of character joke presented through the in-character play experience. It is done without detracting from the experience of playing the role of imaginary heroes in immersive fantasy lands. We have fun while we take the game seriously as the actual activity we are gathered to do, not just as a backdrop to unstructured hanging out.

Basically, imagine the scenario where a group is gathered to play sports and someone has to tell one or two of the group to quit goofing off and take it a bit more seriously. That's what I'm talking about. I feel like a lot of the livestreams are way too far into that category, which bugs me because it doesn't represent what we consider the most enjoyable type of role-playing experiences.

Hussar

Legend
You have to consider different mediums and audiences though too. While I agree that the way you are playing [MENTION=6677017]Sword of Spirit[/MENTION] is excellent and a lot of fun for me too, I wonder if it would translate well onto the small screen.

When people talk about RPG's not being a spectator sport, there is some truth there, IMO. A more serious table, while tons of fun to play, might not be as interesting to watch. Maybe. Or maybe I'm wrong. I dunno. Just throwing this out there.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
Interesting.

I have watched HarmonQuest and some of Acquisitions Inc. Very good stuff I thought. I haven't delved into critical role, or Camera... Dice... Action, or any of the other streams yet. Maybe one day, when I am not busy building my own campaign and dealing with the groups I play with. Maybe when I can just play again.

Remove ads

Remove ads