Over Half Of New D&D Players Got Into Game From Watching Online Play

I know this is really a small issue if any at all, but yet I find it mildly disturbing that so many people watch others play D&D instead of playing it themselves... it's kind of similar to the rise of "eSports" and their possible inclusion even in the olympics. And also my kids are starting to watch people play Minecraft on youtube instead of playing it themselves! It's ok to watch occasionally to get some inspiration, but if it's more often than the real thing then it raises some questions...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The Verge talks about D&D, live streaming, and the current popularity of tabletop roleplaying. Livestreaming is a big thing these days; it used to be a video game phenomenon, but tabletop gaming now has a massive presence.

critrole.jpg

• D&D's most profitable year ever was 2016, and 2017 may surpass it.
  • “Over half of the new people who started playing Fifth Edition [the game’s most recent update, launched in 2014] got into D&D through watching people play online,” says Nathan Stewart, senior director of Dungeons & Dragons.
  • A year ago, WotC has two shows on Twitch; now it has 20.
  • Critical Role has more than 5 million views on YouTube.

The article contains much more. Well worth checking out.
[FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT]

Attachments

• critrole.jpg
    critrole.jpg
    855.1 KB · Views: 26,207
Last edited by a moderator:

“Over half of the new people who started playing Fifth Edition got into D&D through watching people play online"

Says Nathan Stewart, senior director of Dungeons & Dragons.

From, "The rise of D&D liveplay is changing how fans approach roleplaying," an article that explains how live streaming is boosting D&D. The link is...
https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/16...-roleplay-rpgs-critical-role-streaming-gaming
cause the link button in posting is failing me for some reason...

We forumites will soon be replaced by the streamers it seems D:

Got this from a retweet of Mearls...

I know this is really a small issue if any at all, but yet I find it mildly disturbing that so many people watch others play D&D instead of playing it themselves... it's kind of similar to the rise of "eSports" and their possible inclusion even in the olympics. And also my kids are starting to watch people play Minecraft on youtube instead of playing it themselves! It's ok to watch occasionally to get some inspiration, but if it's more often than the real thing then it raises some questions...
And most people who watch sports never play themselves. This is hardly a new phenomenon, humans have always enjoyed watching experts perform activities with a high level of skill.

Li Shenron

Legend
And most people who watch sports never play themselves. This is hardly a new phenomenon, humans have always enjoyed watching experts perform activities with a high level of skill.

I was expecting a comment on sports, but the difference is that most people cannot play sports* because they don't have the fitness to last longer than a few minutes.

*at least those sports who are normally broadcast

It's ok to watch an "expert" like a cook, an artist or an artisan at work.

But when talking about games it's quite different. Games are created to entertain people who play. In the past there have been some crossing into entertaining those who watch, for example chess and poker (mostly watched by other players who wanted to learn to get better), but tabletops, RPG and videogames hadn't crossed that line yet. Maybe some are watching them too to learn to get better, but this is already a bit controversial: getting better to what purpose? If you plan on competing then there's a purpose (even win money). And maybe that could really be the point why it worries me, that people are looking to turn simple genuine fun into yet another competition, as if we didn't already have enough of that. I guess there is still sleep to be non-competitive, so far at least. And the second reason for being disturbing is that it kind of feels like a huge "giving up" when you are spending more time watching someone else doing something fun than doing it yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fanaelialae

Legend

For a lot of people it's a gateway. I've had quite a few people ask me if they could watch a game before playing, because they feel intimidated. Frankly, while I think my games are a lot of fun to play, I don't think they'd be nearly as interesting to watch. In the past I recommended that they sit down with us and play a session. Now I recommend to them watching Critical Role. This way they can get comfortable with the concepts, while watching professional entertainers. I almost got my brother-in-law playing this way (well, technically he won't be my brother-in-law until later today) but there was a last minute scheduling snafu with the game. I made the same suggestion to a co worker who was interested in watching a game. I think it's a good way to increase comfort level and familiarity for those who've never played an rpg before.

I like to listen to recorded streams while I work. It keeps the fun loving part of my brain occupied so I'm not constantly getting distracted by thinking about game while trying to get work done.

Schmoe

Adventurer
That is awesome! There will always be a place for forumites, but it's amazing to see this fantastic hobby spreading in a positive way. Thanks for posting this!

Stalker0

Legend
It makes sense to me. In a way it’s how I got in the hobby long ago. I watched my friends play, then took the plunge.

I think once people see it and realize it’s not devil worshipping craziness but people acting and having fun, the rest tends to itself

Mr. Wilson

Explorer
I was expecting a comment on sports, but the difference is that most people cannot play sports* because they don't have the fitness to last longer than a few minutes.

*at least those sports who are normally broadcast

It's ok to watch an "expert" like a cook, an artist or an artisan at work.

But when talking about games it's quite different. Games are created to entertain people who play. In the past there have been some crossing into entertaining those who watch, for example chess and poker (mostly watched by other players who wanted to learn to get better), but tabletops, RPG and videogames hadn't crossed that line yet. Maybe some are watching them too to learn to get better, but this is already a bit controversial: getting better to what purpose? If you plan on competing then there's a purpose (even win money). And maybe that could really be the point why it worries me, that people are looking to turn simple genuine fun into yet another competition, as if we didn't already have enough of that. I guess there is still sleep to be non-competitive, so far at least. And the second reason for being disturbing is that it kind of feels like a huge "giving up" when you are spending more time watching someone else doing something fun than doing it yourself.

I like to watch people play games for a variety of reasons.

One, to learn from them. For instance, I have almost a thousand hours on EU IV. I thought I was pretty decent at it. Then I started watching people like DDRJake (before he went to Paradox), Arumba, and Florryworry and quickly realized how much I could learn from them. In the Civ series, I watched MadDjinn to get better. When I raided hardcore in WoW, I watched the highest end players of my class to see how they reacted to certain situations.

Two, I enjoy their presentation of the game. If I found the host engaging, I'm more likely to watch them. I've cut out most of my TV watching (pretty much only the news and sports are left) and have replaced it with Twitch/Youtube watching. Generally speaking, I'm happier. Although I do have to catch up on Rebels.

Three, and this is specifically about RPGs, I enjoy watching others take part in hobbies that I also enjoy. I like to see what they do and imagine how I would run such a scenario or if there is a NPC or quest item I could steal to make my games better. Most of the time I have these games on at work like a podcast. I've listened to hundreds (probably closer to a thousands) of hours of gameplay. I've learned things that make me a better DM and a better player. I'd say it's worth it.

You don't have to watch and I respect anyone who doesn't or doesn't have the time to watch. But I really like Twitch and recommend it to everyone to at least try and see if it would be something they like.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases