Painting minis; getting started

...I had no idea we had a minipainting thread.

Yes. And some of those minis I've been working on since some point in the mid 80s....

...I am shameful..
If it makes you feel any better, I still have Rogue Trader era minis that are still unpainted that I bought as a kid in the early 90s. But, a WhizKids displacer beast I did finish fairly recently:
IMG_6426.jpg

Mad_Jack

Legend
There’s a Ral Partha model of an ogre mage carrying a maiden in one hand I would love to find.

That's the RP Official AD&D 2nd Ed. 11-405 Ogre Mage... Hard to find a complete one since the katana was a separate piece and the hand holding a choice of maiden or tanto was also separate.
Despite managing to collect the body and both hand options, I still don't have the sword for him.

I would do nothing but 80s/90s Ral Partha minis if I could find more of the ones I want for the prices I want to pay.

Although the AD&D minis are out of print, Iron Wind Metals ended up with pretty much all the other old RP molds and the casting rights for them... None of the stuff that was licensed IP for various games, etc., but they do have pretty much all the old Tom Meyer RP and Thunderbolt Mountain figures. (There was even a Kickstarter a few years back to resurrect the old Chaos Wars stuff.)

If you're looking for some of the AD&D stuff, I'm a collector, and I have more than one copy of some of the figures...

Mad_Jack

Legend
I made a sharktopus from a shark toy and modelling clay. Why, you may ask, does it only have four tentacles? Because if it had eight, it'd be an octoshark. duh! (and it'd also be top heavy and tip over :p)

I love doing conversions, probably even more than painting, lol. A good number of my Bones minis from the Kickstarters over the years have ended up as conversions - every so often I reach into my box and blindly pull out a couple of figures then mash them together the best I can in a quick-and-dirty conversion and slap some basic paint on them.
Which is how I ended up with this pirate-sea serpent mermaid... The bottom half is a medusa that I sculpted the fish tail on. For obvious reasons, I called her Cap'n Morganna...

1663973017128.png

Starfox

Adventurer
I use color set from Foundry - a UK based miniatures maker more focused on historical than fantasy but otherwise similar to Citadel - some designers work for both manufacturers. The paints themselves are very similar to what Citadel colors used to be - they are in the soft plastic pots Citadel used earlier.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases