• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Paizo and 4e.

Wolfspider

Explorer
catsclaw227 said:
I am getting the impression that even though they haven't been able to say much yet because it's really too early -- we ARE still about 7-8 months away still -- they HAVE been saying "we know this is really different, but please try it because we really think you will like it".

Hmmm. I'm hearing something more along the lines of "The new game is so COOL COOL COOL COOL COOL. And the old way you've been playing 3rd edition for the past eight years is lame and broken and unplayable. Cool cool cool. Just trust us."

The Little Raven

First Post
Wolfspider said:
Hmmm. I'm hearing something more along the lines of "The new game is so COOL COOL COOL COOL COOL. And the old way you've been playing 3rd edition for the past eight years is lame and broken and unplayable. Cool cool cool. Just trust us."

This is the exact attitude expressed by the anti-3e crowd back in 1999/2000.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

catsclaw227

First Post
Wolfspider said:
Interesting. I haven't read any quotes where the designers have hinted that 3.x is lame and broken and unplayable. I suppose we all have some selective hearing [reading].

sjmiller

Explorer
Dragonblade said:
Fair enough. Its just I see so much negativity and people getting so worked up about it. Especially people, and not just sjmiller but people on other forums, who practically brag that they don't even buy WotC products and they are just so negative and damning of 4e.

If you don't even buy their stuff, then what are you so worked up about?
TO be honest, I checked, and I lied. I bought two things recently that were not Dungeon Tiles. I gor Dungeonscape and the Magic Item Compendium. I got these mainly because they are easy to use/convert to my 3.0 game. I have not bought many things from WotC recently because I have not liked what I saw. I did not get 3.5 because I personally did not think it was necessary. I don't think that a fourth edition is needed right now either. That's a personal choice, based solely on emotion.

Now, as for 4e, I have been reading a lot of the vague things they have been saying about it, and I am not seeing it going in a direction I like. I don't like what I am hearing about the PC races, or the class changes, or the "new core books every year" marketing, or that some classic monsters will not be in the monster manual, and a lot of other things.

I just am not excited about 4e, not like I was when 3e brought me out of D&D retirement. I had stopped playing D&D for a number of years. The things I saw about 3e made me interested in D&D again. Everything I have seen so far about 4e has made me shake my head and grimace. I just don't understand why they are doing some changes.

So, because of this, I am glad to see any company that is going to continue doing 3.5 material. That is because I have heard a lot of people who are not converting to 4e. Many of them, like myself, did not convert to 3.5. Those who did convert did so recently, and want to get a return on their investment. Why buy a brand new edition if you are satisfied with the current edition?

Anyway, I keep reading stuff about 4e in hope that they will finally say something that convinces me that 4e is just what I need. I am still waiting.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Wolfspider said:

I'm not getting the 3e hate but I am getting the, "this game is so cool vibe." and without any actual information to back it up, I wish they'd stop until we have more mechanical information available.

Take a pretty warrty issue and show how it's done in 3e, quote it straight from the Rules Compendium, and then show me how it's solved in 4e.

That would get me thinking there's more going on for 4e then empty hype and playtests reports that well, sound like bad fiction.

Remove ads