• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Paladin. Disappointing

Belphanior

First Post
Dr. Strangemonkey said:
And did anyone else notice that the Ranger's Quarry says nothing about being a mark? Mmmm, delicious overlap.

Don't forget about the warlock curse. :)
Solo monsters are going to have to be really tough because the focused fire from an entire party seems to be rather potent. Which I think is totally cool auspicious.

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
Dr. Strangemonkey said:
The more I look at the Paladin the better he looks.

That high Halfling AC/screw you critical hit combo is a nice first step.

Then the Paladin Challenge with throwing hammer?

Paladin readies action to hit first monster to attack cleric.

Cleric goes in first. He has decent AC and is a priority target.

Monster moves to attacks cleric.

Paladin targets Monster with divine challenge. Minor action.

Then Paladin throws hammer with sheilding smite for 2d6+3 damage and a +3 AC boost to cleric.

Monster then attacks cleric at -2 and sustains 8 radiant damage or takes AoO from cleric (1d8+2) as it moves against Paladin.

& Paladin now attacks with +5 and damage 1d6+5 against marked target.

Having both a Paladin and Fighter in your party is even more murderous since the Fighter can potentially stop the Paladin's mark from attacking the Paladin at all.

And did anyone else notice that the Ranger's Quarry says nothing about being a mark? Mmmm, delicious overlap.

Whilst the Pal/Clr combo you envisage sounds kickass, I suspect that using an interrupt immediate action might allow the person you interrupted to modify their action. I could be wrong of course!

Chris_Nightwing said:
Whilst the Pal/Clr combo you envisage sounds kickass, I suspect that using an interrupt immediate action might allow the person you interrupted to modify their action. I could be wrong of course!

Well, I thought they might be able to modify the action, but that's the glory of the Paladin's ability to set up nasty Catch 22s.

And to be fair we don't even know if you can ready actions. Initiative is the system we learned the least about from these rules documents. I wouldn't be surprised if only basic attacks could be readied.

Still, that Paladin marking ability as a ranged minor action is insanely good for combos any way you slice it.

Darth Cyric

First Post
Just one thing: the Paladin won't be able to use Shielding Smite from a distance. He can use a throwing hammer for it, but only in melee (it states melee clear as day, plus the power doesn't have an entry for +X if thrown).

Sitara

Explorer
But compare paladin'spowers with the fighter. Sure pally may have a better 'aggro'mechanic, but does it matter when the fighter can just destroy his foes in a round or two?

Also, the healing strike might look good at level 1, but +3hp wont help when you are level 9. Ofcourse, taking the crusader as an example there might be additional talents at higher levels that give increased healing, but again that means your talents selected are lower levels are now a waste of space.

Largomad

First Post
Sitara said:
there might be additional talents at higher levels that give increased healing, but again that means your talents selected are lower levels are now a waste of space.

I think we are taking too many assumptions, in fact we don't know already the full mechanics of the new edition, perhaps a kind playtester could shed us some light. ;)

Bayonet_Chris

First Post
Mechanics

Sitara said:
But compare paladin'spowers with the fighter. Sure pally may have a better 'aggro'mechanic, but does it matter when the fighter can just destroy his foes in a round or two?

Also, the healing strike might look good at level 1, but +3hp wont help when you are level 9. Ofcourse, taking the crusader as an example there might be additional talents at higher levels that give increased healing, but again that means your talents selected are lower levels are now a waste of space.

Keep in mind that the character sheets shown have the bonuses build in already. +3 at first level might be higher at 8th level, etc.

jaer

First Post
I know we are discussing actual crunch, but to compare Lay of Hands 4e to 3e and saying 4e sucks does only take into account that this character is 1st level. We don't know that Laying of Hands might not have additional rider effects at higher levels, such as is bonus healing above that of the surge alone or even a second surge of healing the next round.

Just something to consider before making such comparisons. We are only seeing a very small portion of what characters can do and how some powers translated over.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads