D&D 5E Paladin Healing vs Cleric Healing

Coroc

Hero
Lots of factor to take into account.
If the initiative order falls player A >NPC > player B and player A has the option to heal player B to potentially prevent a loss of turn and player B is generally more apt to handle that NPC (NPC is currently under magical effects and player B has dispell) then trading an action for an action could be worth it.

Yep, as I said, it is mostly out of context, not like in some prior editions to double up your HP during combat, that just not pays off in the end.

Zardnaar

Legend
Lots of factor to take into account.
If the initiative order falls player A >NPC > player B and player A has the option to heal player B to potentially prevent a loss of turn and player B is generally more apt to handle that NPC (NPC is currently under magical effects and player B has dispell) then trading an action for an action could be worth it.

Not often.

Only real efficient healing in combat is things like mass healing word on a life cleric.

I think the problem of getting short rests is players like blowing all their spells early and then resting which hurts the warlock.

Ironically less spell slots compound this.

Have an optional rules to turn short rest into long rest maybe. Triple resources would be the 2 short rest assumption but ramps up nova abilities. Then the warlock will just do the same thing as the wizards/Sorcerer.

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
In-combat healing can also be useful when the enemy is coming in "waves". For example, you just beat one group of foes, but there's another group headed your way that will be on you in a couple rounds, or a minute, or whatever. You can take that short breather to top up the most injured PCs and prepare for the next fight, but won't have time for one of the lengthier out of combat healing options.

(In many situations, especially in buildings and dungeons, combat could/should attract more combat. It seems like a lot of combats are run as though they're in a vacuum. You enter one room in a dungeon, fight whoever's inside, clanging around with weapons and armor and blasting spells, then once that's done, you move to the next room over to fight whoever's inside and who apparently hadn't noticed the fighting and explosions from the previous room.)

In-combat healing is also useful in situations where there's a time crunch. For example, the bad guy sends his henchmen to fight you while he is trying to get away with a captive, so you don't have the opportunity to say "Time out, Mr Big Bad... We've defeated your minions, but we're hurt, so now we're going to take 10 minutes/1 hour to heal up with Prayer of Healing/a Short Rest before continuing our pursuit!" Or maybe you're trying to barrel through a stronghold to stop a ritual that's in progress and that will be completed in 10 minutes.

Last edited:

Not often.

Only real efficient healing in combat is things like mass healing word on a life cleric.

I think the problem of getting short rests is players like blowing all their spells early and then resting which hurts the warlock.

Ironically less spell slots compound this.

Have an optional rules to turn short rest into long rest maybe. Triple resources would be the 2 short rest assumption but ramps up nova abilities. Then the warlock will just do the same thing as the wizards/Sorcerer.
Pacing/ resource management is the core issue for alot of problems tables run into when comparing player options.
As much as I dislike DM forced pacing I recomend new DM to just stick to a set rest schedule until they get a feel for it.
*I just made short rest instant but they limited to 2 per long rest. Each player can take them independently. I run 1-15 encounters per LR where most of the time. the party can take LR whenever but there may be both narrative (npc fires them/reinforcements come/fail goal/impossible to succeed) and mechanical (less XP/less rewards) considerations.

Pauln6

Hero
Paladin healing feels too good compared to healing spells and potions to me but that may be because I am old enough to have played 1e. I think you could double the number of dice healed by the spells and I still wouldn't feel that it was too much but presumably some subclass features might go overboard. Maybe one extra die for the base spell and +1 for any levelled up version might do it for me.

Paladin healing feels too good compared to healing spells and potions to me but that may be because I am old enough to have played 1e. I think you could double the number of dice healed by the spells and I still wouldn't feel that it was too much but presumably some subclass features might go overboard. Maybe one extra die for the base spell and +1 for any levelled up version might do it for me.
Another option is to double the dice but cut them in half so cure wounds would be 2d4+mod adding 2d4 per spell level. It would increase the minimum and average amounts which feels better for healing effects

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases