• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Paladin/Warlock Spells

trentonjoe

Explorer
I am unsure how the warlock works with spells and multiclassing.

If I am a Paladin 4/Warlock 3 :

Do I cast my Warlock Spells like a 5th level caster?
Do I get Paladin Spells as if I were 5th level?

I am limited to what I know by my actual levels but I cast spells as if I was 5th level right?

Thanks in advance!

1of3

Explorer
Neither. Warlocks do not have the spellcasting feature. The MC rules for combining spellcasters do not apply. You have your paladin slots and spells prepared as a level 4 paladin. You have your warlock spells and slots as a level 3 warlock. You can however cast your warlock spells with your paladin slots and vice versa.

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
Neither. Warlocks do not have the spellcasting feature. The MC rules for combining spellcasters do not apply. You have your paladin slots and spells prepared as a level 4 paladin. You have your warlock spells and slots as a level 3 warlock. You can however cast your warlock spells with your paladin slots and vice versa.

Yup. PHB p. 164

Pact Magic. If you have both the Spellcasting class feature and the Pact Magic class feature from the warlock class, you can use the spell slots you gain from the Pact Magic feature to cast spells you know or have prepared from classes with the Spellcasting class feature, and you can use the spell slots you gain from the Spellcasting class feature to cast warlock spells you know.

So 4th level Paladin caster = 3 1st level slots
Warlock = 2 2nd level slots

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Yup. PHB p. 164

Pact Magic. If you have both the Spellcasting class feature and the Pact Magic class feature from the warlock class, you can use the spell slots you gain from the Pact Magic feature to cast spells you know or have prepared from classes with the Spellcasting class feature, and you can use the spell slots you gain from the Spellcasting class feature to cast warlock spells you know.

So 4th level Paladin caster = 3 1st level slots
Warlock = 2 2nd level slots

hmm so it says "know or prepared" ... does that the char in this example can use his 2 warlock 2nd level slots to cast any paladin spell of 1st level (ie expanding his "known spells" by a large amount! Cool if so!

Ashr

First Post
My reading of the multi-classing pages said your "known" spells was based on the individual classes, but the "spell slots" is based on the multi-class chart in the book. So you can spend any of your known spells from either class from your spell slots based on the combined spell caster level.

jadrax

Adventurer
My reading of the multi-classing pages said your "known" spells was based on the individual classes, but the "spell slots" is based on the multi-class chart in the book. So you can spend any of your known spells from either class from your spell slots based on the combined spell caster level.

Warlocks do not count as spell-casters for the purposes of that table.

Dausuul

Legend
hmm so it says "know or prepared" ... does that the char in this example can use his 2 warlock 2nd level slots to cast any paladin spell of 1st level (ie expanding his "known spells" by a large amount! Cool if so!
Nope. Having a spell on your class list (or, for that matter, in your spellbook) isn't the same as it being one of your "spells known."

Except for cantrips, a class either gets spells known or it prepares spells, never both. Paladins, clerics, druids, and wizards prepare spells. Sorcerers, rangers, warlocks, and bards have spells known, as do Eldritch Knight fighters and Arcane Trickster rogues. (The latter is rather curious since they get wizard spells and Int-based spellcasting.)

Last edited:

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Nope. Having a spell on your class list (or, for that matter, in your spellbook) isn't the same as it being one of your "spells known."

Except for cantrips, a class either gets spells known or it prepares spells, never both. Paladins, clerics, druids, and wizards prepare spells. Sorcerers, rangers, warlocks, and bards have spells known.
ah yeah that makes more sense. it is a little vague though, I did read it and think, wow, all cleric spells for warlock, woot!

Remove ads