Pandemic "Rage Quitting?"

Retreater

Legend
I started a thread earlier about how I was disappointed in a boardgame I just got and gave up on it out of frustration. This same thing happened with my PF2 campaign, numerous video games.
I don't know if it's pandemic related, general gamer burnout, or what.
I'd take some time off from the hobby, but that's really my only (virtual) social interaction. I am finding that I am good with very rules lite games, but I'm impatient with games that have things like feat trees, a lot of modifiers, charts, unusual resolution mechanics, etc.
Anyone else experiencing something similar?

I would suggest that you focus on increasing your social interaction via other avenues.

Gaming (or any other hobby) cannot make up for contact with other people, nor should it be your sole source contact.

Of course, that is often easier said than done.

ragr

Explorer
At the risk of stating the obvious, try to pursue the remedy you've identified for yourself and find some lighter games to play. This should keep you socially engaged and recharge the batteries. You might find you drift back into more heavy games or you may have found a more permanent level for your interest. Either way there is great harm in banging your head against a brick wall.

I dropped out of gaming altogether about ten years ago having spent most of my time with relatively rules heavy games and when I decided I missed it I came back to the table with Esoterrorists which is very rules light. It was a breath of fresh air and allowed me to fall back in love with the broader hobby and while I've not really gone back to the heavy end of the rules spectrum in any regular way I have tried out various games over the preceding decade.

I think finding your sweet spot as far as rules light vs. heavy is important, and can be very freeing. If you're the GM and your players aren't so keen on it, talk to them about how you're feeling, and I imagine most will come along with you on the journey to something new. And right now, maintaining a social life (albeit virtually) is incredibly important to mental health.

I've absolutely labored during All This to maintain my enthusiasm for my hobbies and interests. Because gaming is how I get to see me friends (albeit on a screen), I've especially made the effort. There've been times where I've absolutely been feeling down and wondering how I was going to muster the energy to run the game, and in the course of the game, have felt my spirits lift, so that by the end I was in a better state altogether.

I'd take some time off from the hobby, but that's really my only (virtual) social interaction. I am finding that I am good with very rules lite games, but I'm impatient with games that have things like feat trees, a lot of modifiers, charts, unusual resolution mechanics, etc.

Retreater

Legend
I would suggest that you focus on increasing your social interaction via other avenues.

Gaming (or any other hobby) cannot make up for contact with other people, nor should it be your sole source contact.

Of course, that is often easier said than done.
Well that's the pandemic. Prior to that I was able to do community theatre, attend live music performances, hang out at the local bar, sing karaoke, visit with family (who are older and don't have the tech to do Zoom or anything), go to the movies with friends, and otherwise had a pretty full social life.
Not that it would even help, but I can't even see my old therapist. Besides, what can anyone say but "shucks, everything sucks now?"

Well that's the pandemic. Prior to that I was able to do community theatre, attend live music performances, hang out at the local bar, sing karaoke, visit with family (who are older and don't have the tech to do Zoom or anything), go to the movies with friends, and otherwise had a pretty full social life.
Not that it would even help, but I can't even see my old therapist. Besides, what can anyone say but "shucks, everything sucks now?"

Well, at least the long-term is covered.

aco175

Legend
I would suggest an one-shot adventure. A little bit gonzo that allows you to suicide PCs if needed and have a backup handy. Sort of like on old convention where the DM handed out PCs and they listed a personality to assist roleplay. You could even design the PCs around another group like Avengers or Scooby Doo. You get to have fun and blow up the game if you like.

pemerton

Legend
I am finding that I am good with very rules lite games, but I'm impatient with games that have things like feat trees, a lot of modifiers, charts, unusual resolution mechanics, etc.
I've been playing games that are lighter than D&D - Prince Valiant, Classic Traveller, Cortex+ Heroic - as most of my RPGing for the past few years. Also one-shots of light systems like Cthulhu Dark and Wuthering Heights.

The only heavy system I've played during the pandemic and would like to play more of is Burning Wheel.

So my suggestion would be like @ragr's - play some light systems!

I would suggest an one-shot adventure. A little bit gonzo that allows you to suicide PCs if needed and have a backup handy. Sort of like on old convention where the DM handed out PCs and they listed a personality to assist roleplay. You could even design the PCs around another group like Avengers or Scooby Doo. You get to have fun and blow up the game if you like.

Or a few sessions of Paranoia.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Not that I know you or your situation well, but what you describe is entirely consistent with the results of isolation and long-term stress.

I was running a long-term campaign that was one session from completion when covid stopped in-person gatherings. And I've had more chance to play games since this started, as folks I don't normally see run online games. Mostly 5e and Fate-based games.

But I lost all interest in running things. Even knowing that my group would all really be better off if I ran a game - we'd have at least that little bit more social contact - I just did not have the energy or concentration or creativity to put something together, and the very thought of it felt like work and a burden. So, I didn't.

Within the past couple weeks, though, I have felt my mojo coming back, and I'm now planning and assembling the next thing. We won't be meeting face-to-face for months yet, but I now have the energy and gumption to give folks something to get through the long dark of winter.

Remove ads