• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Paragon Paths: Deepwood Sniper and Master Thrower

Zetesofos

Explorer
Hello there everyone. These are a couple of hopefully more converted prestige classes I've been working on. (Mostly because I'm bored, :p)

These are reposts from the WoTC boards, and I thought I'd like to share. Comments and critiques are welcomed and encouraged as always.

Deepwood Sniper

“That feeling you get of raised hairs on the back of your neck. That's me.”

Prerequisites: Ranger Class, Archery Fighting Style

With a keen eye and steady hand, you strike from afar with impunity, sowing terror and confusion into the ranks of an enemy, unaware of the source.

Deepwood Sniper Path Features

Deepwood Action (11th level): When you spend an action point to take an extra action, you gain a +4 bonus to ranged attack rolls until the start of your next turn.

Distant Death (11th level): While wielding a ranged weapon, double that weapons normal and long range.

Patient Shot (16th level): Gain an extra 1d6 Hunter's Quarry damage if you haven't moved since the end of your last turn.

Deepwood Sniper Exploits

Called Shot Deepwood Sniper Attack 11
With one shot, you damage and hinder an enemy as you see fit.
Target: One Creature
Attack: Dexterity vs. Fortitude, Dexterity vs. Reflex, or Dexterity vs. Will
Hit: 2[W] + Dexterity modifier damage. The target is Weakened (save ends) if you target and hit it's Fortitude defense. The target is Slowed (save ends) if you target and hit it's Reflex defense. The target is Dazed (save ends) if you target and hit it's Will defense.

Keen Eye Deepwood Sniper Utility 12
With practiced patience, you take aim, determined not to miss your mark.
Effect:
Your next attack roll ignores cover (but not superior cover), concealment, and total concealment. This power does not grant you the ability to target invisible enemies.

Through and Through Deepwood Sniper Attack 20
You strike with near immortal accuracy and power, passing your arrow through the target, leaving a gaping wound.
Target: One Creature
Attack: Dexterity vs. AC

As it stands, it's an off shoot of the rogue class, though it does have a ranger feel with the mobility in some cases. Best used with an artful dodger. Feats that would go well would be quick draw, evasion, and devastating critical.

Master Thrower

“Are you really sure you want my weapons, I just might give them to you.”
Prerequisites: Rogue

With Unconventional fighting tactics, the master thrower purposely disarms themselves, moving with agility and attacking with precision in the midst of battle.

Master Thrower Path Features

Master's Action (11th level): When you spend an action point to take an extra action, you can shift half your speed before or after you take that extra action.

Deadeye (11th level): You treat all slings and light thrown weapons as High Crit weapons.

Master's Shift(16th level): After you spend an action point to take an extra action, you can shift as a minor action until the end of the encounter.

Master Thrower Exploits

Two with One Blow Master Thrower Attack 11
An precision strike that hits two enemies with a well timed ricochet
Requirement:You must be wielding a sling or light thrown weapon
Primary Target: One Creature

Palm Shot Master Thrower Utility 12
With nimble fingers and agility, you palm two weapons into your hands, for twice the damage.
You must wield a sling or light thrown weapon.
Special: You must expend an additional ammunition to gain the effect of this power

Shrapnel Storm Master Thrower Attack 20
With whirling grace and ferocity, you unleash a storm of metal death upon every enemy within your reach
Target: Each creature in burst you can see.

Hopefully, I have good reviews of these. I'm currently working on several others (Arcane Archer, Loremaster, Entropomancer are ones I was interested in)

Last edited:

Khaalis

Adventurer
After a quick scan, these are the thoughts that jumped out at me.

DEEPWOOD SNIPER
• I would add “Archer Fighting Style” to the prerequisite.

Two with One Blow:
• The damage is too high for an 11th level power, as none seem to do more than a total of 3[W] if pure damage, less if they have some other effect. I would reduce this to 2[W] for the primary and 1[W] for the secondary.

Shrapnel Storm:
• I would change the “Miss:” entry to “Half damage” to maintain consistency with the existing powers.

Zetesofos

Explorer
After a quick scan, these are the thoughts that jumped out at me.

DEEPWOOD SNIPER
• I would add “Archer Fighting Style” to the prerequisite.

Two with One Blow:
• The damage is too high for an 11th level power, as none seem to do more than a total of 3[W] if pure damage, less if they have some other effect. I would reduce this to 2[W] for the primary and 1[W] for the secondary.

Shrapnel Storm:
• I would change the “Miss:” entry to “Half damage” to maintain consistency with the existing powers.

I had wondered if 3[W] might be too much. I went back and looked, and there only were a couple with that designation, and no after affect. Sounds like a good idea.

Other than that, the other options are good catches *edits.

On of my players is a Deepwood Sniper, so thanks for the work!

I do have a couple concerns about the Master Thrower..
Master's Shift(16th level): After you spend an action point to take an extra action, you can shift as a minor action until the end of the encounter.

How many squares can you shift with this power?
Depending on your answer, that could be really useful... actually, even one square could be useful!

Palm Shot Master Thrower Utility 12
With nimble fingers and agility, you palm two weapons into your hands, for twice the damage.
You must you a sling or light thrown weapon.
Special: You must expend an additional ammunition to gain the effect of this power
... but I don't even know if you can do that :)

Zetesofos

Explorer
A couple good questions. I didn't realize I didn't post that amount

1) Shifting half their speed (rounded down so 2 to 4 squares-similar distance to of the stormwardens

2) It has all the right keywords. Think of it as an effec similar to the Daggermaster's Meditation of the Blade. all that is is martial weapon keyword, and an effect. Making something a stance means it can't be done with another stance, which may or may not have an effect.

Thanks, I'm glad I could help your group. :D

So if we are comparing to the stormwarden's ability, shouldn't Masters Shift limit that to the round that the action point gets spent, like "...either before or after you use the extra
action." instead of the as written "...until the end of the encounter." ?

As written, this would be seem foolish to not spend an action point at the start of any major encounter. As mentioned, I haven't dug completely in the rules, but it seems to me that granting a change to the Shift action from a move to a minor plus a boost from 1 square to up to 4 can impact on enounters.

Or do I need to spend more time reading the books and less time washing dishes? :erm:

Zetesofos

Explorer
So if we are comparing to the stormwarden's ability, shouldn't Masters Shift limit that to the round that the action point gets spent, like "...either before or after you use the extra
action." instead of the as written "...until the end of the encounter." ?

As written, this would be seem foolish to not spend an action point at the start of any major encounter. As mentioned, I haven't dug completely in the rules, but it seems to me that granting a change to the Shift action from a move to a minor plus a boost from 1 square to up to 4 can impact on enounters.

Or do I need to spend more time reading the books and less time washing dishes? :erm:

Ah, I should have been more clear. The action point, shifting half your speed, is similar to the Stormwardens action point ability Stormstep Action. The Master's shift actions is similar to the Beast Master's Action Shift, also a 16th level feature. Both abilities 'seem' balanced enough, granted I can't playtest it at the moment. But, it seems to fit the bill of a mobile chucker, who needs to keep there distance, and doesn't have the armor to take a hit, relativily speaking.

cooperflood

First Post
I like both classes they have solid flavor and well balanced. If anything I think you errored on the underpowered side. For example I think Shrapnel Storm is significantly underpowered. If you compare it to Blinding Barrage a comparable first level rogue daily, it's extremely underpowered. Don't forget this is rogue class, the game designers have given that class larger [w] multipliers because it uses a smaller die. I would up the damage to 4[w] and add a minor condition like slow.

My only other comment is that Master's Shift and Master's Action are a bit repetitive, perfectly balanced but a bit boring. Maybe you can replace Master's Shift with this:

Tumbling Toss(16th level): As a standard action you may shift your speed and at anytime during your shift you make a single At-will attack with a light thrown weapon or sling.

This new power still keeps the mobility theme and ties in the old master thrower, while keeping the 11th level ability and the 16th level ability distinctly different. Just my two cents for what it's worth.

Remove ads