D&D 5E Party Stealth

Hmm, good discussions all. And yes, the challenge is always situational (I resolve based upon situation, so not always the same) and I only call for rolls appropriately. Also, I try to avoid binary results, so how much a check passes or fails impacts the results.

I'm wondering about at least narratively breaking up the results in sight and sound detection. So the stealthy rogue can guide and direct everyone through the shadows, where to hide, when to move etc, but the sound of the tank moving can't be helped (without specific aid, spells, etc). I'm thinking this might be resolved by myself mentally adding/adjusting the results of those that failed, if they would have made the check using the rogue's (party's best modifier) then those people are not seen, but they are heard. (I'm not worried about doing the math in my head).

All that could be handled pretty easily with using the party roll method, and then modifying the result as above. It means that a half stealthy party doesn't always succeed, but the results are more narratively meaningful/logical. So, if half the party succeeds, no one is seen, but if any fail then that character makes sound(s) that is/are heard. Then I could do a logic/investigation roll for the creature who heard to determine what they think of the sound.

Remove ads