Pathfinder 2 Character Sheet #1: Fumbus, Goblin Alchemist

If you've been following along with the Pathfinder 2nd Edition playtest news, you're in for a treat over the coming days. Paizo has very kindly sent me the character sheets of all six of the playtest characters, and I'll be sharing them with you one at a time over the next week or so! We'll start today with Fumbus the goblin alchemist.

If you've been following along with the Pathfinder 2nd Edition playtest news, you're in for a treat over the coming days. Paizo has very kindly sent me the character sheets of all six of the playtest characters, and I'll be sharing them with you one at a time over the next week or so! We'll start today with Fumbus the goblin alchemist.

But first, before we delve into the first character, here's a quick word from Paizo's Mark Seifter:

"Since the announcement of the Pathfinder Playtest, we here at Paizo have been running demos of the game at select shows, using six of our iconic characters to showcase the new rules of the game. By now, countless spoilers have been uncovered from these characters, but we are pretty sure there are a few surprises left to be uncovered. Well, get ready to dig in, because for the first time ever we are going to show off the sheets for all six of these characters.

We have all your favorite familiar iconics, Kyra the cleric, Valeros the fighter, Merisiel the rogue, Ezren the wizard, Seelah the paladin, and of course, Fumbus the goblin alchemist… hang on there, Fumbus is actually brand new to the Pathfinder Playtest! Each of the characters comes with a new sketch by Wayne Reynolds and enough information to play the character in a demo. I should note that these sheets are early drafts and while a few things have changed, the rules are mostly correct, even if the layout and look of the sheets is nothing like what you can expect to find when the game launches on August 2nd. Finally, these sheets reference a lot of the rules we have already previewed in our blogs over at Paizo.com (which you can also find summarized right here on ENWorld), so if you are confused on some of the topics, hop on over and catch up on all the news."

And now... on with the show! First up is Fumbus, the goblin alchemist.

"As an alchemist, Fumbus is all about making and throwing bombs, though he can do relatively decent damage with his dogslicer when he catches the target flat-footed to take advantage of the backstabber trait, especially against foes like zombies weak against slashing. He’s chosen both of the bombs that deal persistent damage, which between the fire and the acid can stack up to quite the damage over time, particularly on a critical hit, which he’s fairly likely to achieve targeting touch. What is most interesting is that he can make a few extra alchemical items during the game, usually on-the-fly in the middle of a fight. This gives him the flexibility to be the star of nearly any encounter."

Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 10.48.42.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 10.48.51.png

Stay tuned, as tomorrow it's the turn of Kyra, the human cleric! And right at the end, I'll give you a handy PDF of all six, so don't worry about trying to turn these images into a PDF. I'll do it for you!

Thank you so much to Paizo for sending these along. You can read about my short playtest of the game here.
[FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

Jer

Legend
Supporter
I haven't noticed them saying that high level items took more resonance.

I'm making an educated guess.

Actually, I don't think higher level items do cost more resonance. In fact, that would kind of defeat the whole proposed purpose of fixing the problem with cure wands.

Right now it's cheaper to buy a cord of cure light wounds wands than to buy a higher level wand. To fix that they propose Resonance - you can still use the low-level wands, and yes in gp it's cheaper to do so, but the cost in Resonance is so high to get you healed up that it's better to take the gold hit and buy the more expensive wand. If the more expensive wand also cost more Resonance, you'd be right back to where you started where it's better to just buy the cord of cheap healing wands.

Also their examples using healing potions don't scale with Resonance - each one only takes 1 RP to use. That suggests to me that the same will be true for wands.

I'm making an educated guess.

IIRC resonance is Charisma + level. So it goes up pretty fast. Once you hit all the major slots at level 5 or 6, every extra point is just another consumable used. Once you pass level 9 or 10, the resonance limit might cease to have any impact. You longer have to worry about hitting your cap and is not a meaningful limit unless better items cost more resonance.

Yeah, it still prevents you from getting a low level magic item and using it a dozen times. But if the sole purpose was fixing wands of cure light wounds, there had to be a better way...

It's not just another consumable used - it's another "use" of an item you have. Using the examples they've shown so far, suppose you have a cloak of Elvenkind. You have to spend 1 RP to use its invisibility power, so each level you gain another use of its power. If you have a weapon that requires an activation to use its power you get more uses of that power. And so on. I don't think that this mechanic is designed to put a stop to the Christmas Tree of Magic Items playstyle - especially at high levels it seems like its impact would be negligible.

Of course this is where I think the system is going to fall down and I want to see it in playtest. Because, as with clerical spells, you have incentive to NOT spend your Resonance to activate your magic items to do cool things and instead hoard it to be used for healing magic. Typically that's a cleric choice - do I want to cast this cool spell that I have on my spell list, or do I need to hold onto this slot because I may need to save the fighter's bacon in a few rounds. Now EVERYONE has to make that choice - do I want to spend some RP to have this cool effect come off my sword, or do I need to hang onto it in case I need to drink a healing potion. (And of course it's worse for clerics because they're the ones who are also going to be holding the staff of healing or the wand of cure light wounds or whatever and will need to use their Resonance not just to heal themselves, but ALSO to heal their fellow party members).

That's the part of the proposed mechanic that I really want to see in wide playtest. As a long-time player of clerics (when I get to play), tying together your "do cool stuff" resource with your "healing" resource is probably the worst part of cleric mechanics. The more you can separate those two pools of resources, the more fun the cleric is to play IMO.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
IIRC resonance is Charisma + level. So it goes up pretty fast. Once you hit all the major slots at level 5 or 6, every extra point is just another consumable used. Once you pass level 9 or 10, the resonance limit might cease to have any impact. You longer have to worry about hitting your cap and is not a meaningful limit unless better items cost more resonance.

Yeah, it still prevents you from getting a low level magic item and using it a dozen times. But if the sole purpose was fixing wands of cure light wounds, there had to be a better way...

They have explicitly stated that this is exactly how it's intend it to work. You're not supposed to have to worry about running out of resonance, except at low levels and when trying to abuse low-level magic items to save on gold. And it doesn't just fix CLW wands. It also removes the need to limit the number of times per day activated items can be used, and the number of worn items you can slot, thereby significantly reducing bookkeeping.

Dr. Bull

Adventurer
Howdy Folks!

Here's my two cents of opinion...

Wayne Reynold is on par with Erol Otis, as far as I am concerned. His art is evocative and well crafted. His art instills a sense of adventure within me. I want to thank him for his amazing contribution to my favorite hobby.

- Dr. Bull

Last edited by a moderator:

thompur

Villager
Howdy Folks!

Here's my two cents of opinion...

Wayne Reynold is on par with Erol Otis, as far as I am concerned. His art is evocative and well crafted. His art instills a sense of adventure within me. I want to thank him for his amazing contribution to my favorite hobby.

- Dr. Bull

- BTW: I was playing DND before you were born. Please respect your elders.

You were playing DND in 1962? What did "DND" stand for back then?

Remove ads

Remove ads